APC Forum

Coating procedure for treating Mg with dichromate

Halorache

Hi !

I'm not totally beginner into pyro, but I'm still a newbie about coating magnesium powders. I've both 400mesh Mg powder and potassium dichromate, but I wonder know what is the procedure. I suppose it's not only mixing them. Can you help me about this ?

Thank you very much !

I’d bought some a few moons ago. Din’t realize what I had until I looked further into it. 

Proceed with caution.

49 minutes ago, Halorache said:

Thank you very much for the answers, guys !

Do you know if the same kind of file exists for aluminium - boric acid process, SharkWhisperer ?

You just dont need to coat aluminium powder with boric acid,

Just dissolve 1 percent in water and use this water to damp star composition its so easy.......If aluminium is already stearin coated which is added while manufacturing aluminium powder to avoid sticking of aluminium foils together while manufacturing Al powder there is no need to add boric powder. 

2 hours ago, Zumber said:

You just dont need to coat aluminium powder with boric acid,

Just dissolve 1 percent in water and use this water to damp star composition its so easy.......If aluminium is already stearin coated which is added while manufacturing aluminium powder to avoid sticking of aluminium foils together while manufacturing Al powder there is no need to add boric powder. 

I guess german dark Al is not coated ?

1 hour ago, Halorache said:

I guess german dark Al is not coated ?

Use boric acid 1 to 2 percent if you are not sure......dissolve boric acid in water and use this water to damp composition.

16 hours ago, Zumber said:

Use boric acid 1 to 2 percent if you are not sure......dissolve boric acid in water and use this water to damp composition.

Is it better to dissolve with acetone ? It will dry faster and it's more compatible with some materials which hate water... no ?

2 hours ago, Halorache said:

Is it better to dissolve with acetone ? It will dry faster and it's more compatible with some materials which hate water... no ?

Aluminium reacts with nitrate only in presence of water, If acetone is used as a solvent you will need parlon as a binder because parlon dissolves in acetone and it acts both as a binder and chlorine donor in case of colour star.

There is no question left about boric acid then.....there is no need to use it in this case.

There is a way of protecting magnalium from ammonium perchlorate? Is enough wit PVB dissolved in methanol? Can ammonium perchlorate self ignite if you add copper oxide to make metallic blues?

Just now, Manolo11 said:

There is a way of protecting magnalium from ammonium perchlorate? Is enough wit PVB dissolved in methanol? Can ammonium perchlorate self ignite if you add copper oxide to make metallic blues?

I mean without using dichomates

I have not heard of any actual incidents leading to spontaneous ignition, but AP with MgAl is not completely stable together with many copper compounds. 

You need to keep it very dry or pretreat the MgAl with chromate. 

4 hours ago, Crazy Swede said:

By the way @Manolo11, why are you using methanol?

Because acetone contains more water than methanol 

But why not ethanol or isopropanol if you are just dissolving PVB?

Acetone can be dried in different simple ways if the water should be a problem. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Swede said:

But why not ethanol or isopropanol if you are just dissolving PVB?

Acetone can be dried in different simple ways if the water should be a problem. 

Ethanol contais 4% water and I don't have isopropanol, but why shouldn't use methanol?

Methanol is poisonous and is usually only used in pyrotechnics for liquid solutions of different salts to create coloured fire clouds  (like lampares).