APC Forum

Beginners need to know info--safety and legality newb questions

JohnWI

I'm glad this forum has a newbie section.  I've been reading up on pyrotechnics--as subject I've been fascinated with for a long time, but never pursued to make.  As I mentioned in another post, I'm a chemist by training and profession, and am proud to say I've never had a fire or explosion.    

I would like to pursue the craft and art of pyrotechnics, but I can't seem to find clear information regarding legalities.  I know large devices (grams--m-80s, cherry bombs, "boomers") can get one's butt in a great deal of trouble.  I obviously don't need the ATF knocking on my door!

Is their some kind of permit that can keep someone in the clear legally?  Not for the large "destructive devices".  I mean loud, but reasonable devices (less than a gram of flash).  Maybe with some study, some more ambitious stuff.

Also, as far as safety, can someone direct me to information on accidents?  Ie, what happened, and why did it happen?  I realize by it's very nature flash powder is potentially dangerous. That said, I'm an avid reloader and have safely used many pounds of smokeless powder, and have installed many thousand of primers without incident.

It's unfortunate, but as I scan the web, their seems to be a lot of "hold my beer..." information.  Someone on Youtube pouring 2 pounds of perchlorate into 1 pound of aluminum powder and crushing around in it with a metal spoon.  3 POUNDS of flash powder, a foot away from your face?  Err, no thanks.  Other sources say to mix a "reasonable amount" at a time--to make what you use, store the components separately.   What is a reasonable amount to mix in one go?

Static seems to be an issue--many sources suggest either misting the floor and air with water to crank up the humidity in the work area, or using static guard from the laundry section.  Seems like an ounce of prevention.  Of course the obvious things.  No open flames, no smoking in the work area...

It also sound that chlorate based flash powders are to be avoided, as are permanganate and sulfur containing flashes.  Sticking with standard 70/30 perchlorate flash is the safest bet?

Sorry for so many questions--but you know the inter-web.  Some of the things I've read this past week make my skin crawl.  I actually saw a vid of someone using a micro-propane torch to melt hot glue into open tubes of flash powder.  Things like that--you know, eventually, will end in tragedy.

Anyway, just looking for good, solid, honest info.  Legalities, safety issues...   I wanted to make some during my mis-spent youth, but then saw a Kurt Saxon video (of Poor Man's James Bond fame), and he was missing several fingers from screwing around, dry mixing components that need to be mixed wet.    That was enough for me to not go any further.  

Every State seems to have different regulations, and every pyro seems to have different ideas about scale and safety!

Look for pyrotechnics associations/arts guilds. These are organisations that usually you can join and share info and manufacture lawfully and watch others do work and fire fireworks.  (WPA FPAG MPAG etc).

One of the reasons why people use paper tubes, and old fashioned gums and glues is that they are long tried and tested not to add to the ever present risk and hazard. Paper and the old fashioned glues are often more environmentally friendly -they decompose quickly in the environment, leaving less litter and plastics to clear by hand later.

For manufacture, look out safety gear, I have jeans made of nomex and shirts made of flash resistant Protal but for most purposes good, heavy cotton will have some protection. 

Start with reading some of the well more known basic literature in the field!

Check out the books by Lancaster and Shimizu for the elementary stuff, Ellern for a broader scope of pyrotechnic chemistry and Hardt for somewhat more modern formulas and some more advanced techniques  

Without knowing the classics you will only be half a pyrotechnist!

I'd say flash powder is quite a bit more sensitive than smokeless reloading powder, but well primers can be a tad touchy too. High humidity is good for working with flash powders but is a bit of a drag on other pyro projects. Don't even get me started on the difficulties I've had in trying to dry out strontium nitrate and keep it dry. (Earlier I attempted to do some red, white and blue lance work on a set piece.)

If you cannot find a club or organization in your area, you may attempt to get a license.

If you are in the USA, a federal explosives license can come in handy but building a type 4 magazine and getting it approved by the ATF can be expensive and time intensive. It is greatly simplified if you own your own property and live in a rural area, but if not bureaucracies in general are a tremendous headache and government ones are even worse.

Also, if you are the in the USA, your individual state will have its own rules and regulations that make it an even greater headache, not to mention the possibility of local ordinances that further compound the headache and the paperwork. So, you need to do some research on where you are precisely located and where you precisely want to set off pyrotechnic articles.

I absolutely second Arthur's recommendation of safety gear. Heavy 100% cotton does offer decent protection; myself I get issued FR uniforms at work anyway so that's what I use. I would also recommend goggles to protect your eyes and a dust mask (You might prefer a respirator for some of the solvents) because you don't really want to be breathing in some of the chemicals. Gloves are also good though the type you use will depend on what you are working with. i.e. don't try and use cheap nitrile gloves with acetone unless you want melted plastic and acetone all over your hands.

I also definitely second Crazy Swede on reading some of the basic literature.

Yer asking the right questions, mostly. And I suggest BP first. It in itself is an art, and the cornerstone of pyro.

• Like 1

Legalities and regulation vary widely throughout the country.  The first place to start is at the federal level.  The BATF has what is commonly referred to as the "Orange Book". https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/report/publication-federal-explosives-laws-and-regulations-atf-p-54007  Generally speaking, the ATF primarily only cares about proper storage and distances, as long as you're behaving yourself.  Any finished device, composition, etc. is supposed to be properly stored within a generally accepted 24 hr.  This gives some ability to make an use without running afoul of the BATF.  It's also generally accepted that you need storage that would meet muster, if it were inspected.  If you don't pursue a license/permit, there is technically no reason it has to be inspected or known about.  Proper storage can range widely in size, and is called an Explosives Magazine.  The ATF Orange Book has all sorts of details about that.  I've seen them range in size from from something about the size of a Jobox up through a full explosives bunker.  Joboxes are common for smaller scale hobbyists.  Those more involved or who use a shared space may have something the size of a small shed or small shipping container depending on your preferences and construction ability.  Conversion typically includes upgrading the lock and adding a cover to protect the lock from cutting or prying, and lining the interior with a non-sparking covering (certain paints, coatings, or wood generally).

Again, some states, counties, or municipalities may have additional regulations.  Your state particularly, generally follows the BATF guidelines and requires a state license.  The requirements for getting that license is basically having a federal license.  There is a club in your area with a number of licensed individuals that can help walk you through the process.  There is a small trick to it as I recall.  

While the BATF only cares about storage, where some people run into issue is transportation.  The DOT governs that.  Generally speaking, having the appropriate federal/state licenses permit you to legally transport things.  As long as it's not in commerce, there's not much more to it (no placarding, CDL, special endorsements, etc.).

• 1 month later...

It’s great to hear you’re approaching pyrotechnics with such caution and a desire to understand the legal and safety aspects. For legal guidance, check local and federal regulations or consult with authorities because specifics can vary widely. Safety-wise, always mix small amounts, understand the properties of each chemical, avoid using metal tools, and ensure proper grounding to prevent static. Stay safe and responsible!

It could be helpful to find and join your local Pyrotechnics Association. I'm aware of Western Pyrotechnics Assn, they meet in or about Nevada. There are others covering some of the States. WPA provides an event twice per year with an ATF license in place where DIY is lawful. There may be classes, seminars etc. 

There are several other pyro associations, arts guilds by whatever name one of these would be of great value to you to be real life (not forum!) among people of like interest. You'd also contact all the local suppliers there too.