APC Forum

Singing Rockets

CrazyIsraeli

Have you ever wanted your rocket to sing?

Its allready well known that diffrent whistle compositions make diffrent whistles.

I have allready seen a multi whistle rocket, So it is possiable.

Can one simply put diffrent whistle compositions, according to each tone they make

And put diffrent layers and eventually make thier rocket whistle a favorite tune!

Possiable?

Comments =]

I don't know about a rocket. I would think the song would either have to be really short, or the rocket would be far too big to be practical. Then you'd have to account for the doppler effect for it to be proper.

A whistle........whistle pot I guess, might work. Whistle burns pretty fiercy, so the whole thing may be very long. Catalysts could be added, and are said to also change the tone. A fw other things would be tone change from the tube, and the need for breaks in the "music".

I think it's too complicated to be practical, but might be a fun project to try for something simple. Smoke on the water perhaps.

There's a consumer firework called 'three blind mice' that (apparently) whistles the tune.

With a powerful motor, no header, and small whistle pots, it sounds plausible to attach quite a few to a rocket and fuse them together. Just thinking out loud here, but how about figuring out a way of making a siren effect on a rocket (as-per the cop lights wheel on Passfire?)

Now that would be cool ; )

The tricky part is only finding the right mixture for the certain whisteling you want.

I thought more like a large ammount of tubes, and about 3 meters Visco linking between them, so the pause is when the visco is burning from one tube to another.

Its just an idea, that maybe one day would come true and amaze the world, a bit more.

Wouldnt the tone change as the the whistlemix burns through the tube?

What I have heard, is that the resonance of the tube is what makes the sound through small vibrations from the burning fuel. If that's the case, the tone should get deeper as it burns (Presuming the tube is fairly long).

There was an article called "The Production of Music with Pyrotechnic Whistles" in Journal of Pyrotechnics, issue No. 7 from 1998.

The authors used very thin cakes of pressed whistle composition in PVC tubes of various lenghts and diameters to produce short tones of high tonal quality. If longer columns of composition is used the tone bends and it will be impossible to play "proper music"!