APC Forum

Fuses

kwstag

Oh OK

cheap is good ^_^

I'll ask him....

does any body has an ideia for another tipe of coat beside NC for my home made visco? I need a more flexible coating for some purpose

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spose you could try silicon laquer. It's desribed on frogfot's page also. Not sur ejust how good it works but give it a shot, if it isn't good enough, just fire that visco machine of yours up :lol:

Have you considered cellulose acetate? It's used to coat some e-matches. Dissolve with acetone to make a slurry like thick NC. Not sure how well this would work, but in theory.....

M

• 3 weeks later...

different electrical fuses like timers' RFs etc

and toalet paper with KNO3-S-sugar (burns slower then BP so i can use less for the same time)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone seen the 4-6 hour slow fuse on cannonfuse.com? It burns at a rate of about 1-1.5 hours per an inch. Anyone know how that is achieved?

No, it's about an hr per *foot*, and it's just 100% cotton rope with marks every inch or so; it just smolders.

There is a comp called Glusatz, which burns ~30s/in. and is used in those match-striker firecrackers from Europe.

Glusatz

Barium nitrate 75.5

Charcoal (AF) 10

Sulfur 10

Meal 3

Cab-O-Sil 1

CMC0 .5

Dist. water +6 (dissolve CMC)

Must be rammed into spollette tubes.

or yo could do what they did in the middle ages and soak it in a kno3 solution or an even cheaper method pee on it and let it dry

I hope everybody knows that many of these "silicone fuse-mixes" also are High Explosives, and fairly easy to set off to.

So dont have large chunks of it lying under your bed.... ;)

They are not talking about making fuse with silicon powder, but using silicone "jelly" to mix in with the fuse composition. Also, any fuse mix with silicone (that does not contain a detonatable part) will not be a HE. I may deflagrate though.

They won't det on you, unless you decide to fill it with some sort of HE, which is very possible. For those of you who want to try silicone fuse, make sure the silicone is your first substance in the mixing container, then add the S or C or whatever. The last thing you want to add is the oxidiser. By doing this you have a better mixture, from all the mixing, and it usually won't go off when mixing. If you're mixing dusts with a dowel, something bad WILL happen.

I did not mean the basic silicone-fuse mix that uses KMnO4 with S along with the Silicone. But I have seen other comps using KClO3 or KClO4... and with Silicone as a fuel and binder you can expect that the comp has H-E properties when initiated by a cap.

However, the mixes are often underoxidized and not designed to detonate, but my point is that it 'could' happen... So take it easy, and don't handle large amounts of the stuff. (even if I rather handle KClO4 then KMnO4). ;)

EDIT: KClO4 with a pinch of atomized aluminum gives a good fuse when mixed thoroughly with (bathroom)silicone as a paste. I don't remember the ratios, but I would prefer that comp over KMnO4+S+Silicone anytime.

Used to make my own with slow burning BP (rocket mix) rolled into cig papers like Rizla.

Now I use 1/8th Chinese Visco from www.ukvisco.com, in fact just put another order in today for 5 meters.

Very reliable fuse for shells.

I normally use 1/8" chinese visco, but the last coil of fuse I bought was 1/16" chinese visco. I don't like this fuse as much. It seems it does not have as steady of a burn rate as the 1/8" does. Also I use homemade e-matches. I have also used sparklers on a rare occaison because the day before, the police came to my house because someone reported that I was building a bomb in my basement. They found a few smoke devices and a coil of fuse but thats it.

You mean they came by to ask whether you knew where that story originated, or they had a warrant and kicked the door ... because of what someone said! :ph34r:

They didn't have a warrant, but I let them in freely because I didn't have anything that they would take to court and I know they might take me to court if I asked for a warrant and then they found what was there. I was put on juvinile station agreement for 90 days. Its like parole but you don't have a parole officer and it doesn't go on your record (I don't think).

It was quite funny. The officer, who was a really nice guy by the way, came in with like 30 bags labled "EVIDENCE" and like 4 or 5 little glass sample jars. I just laughed and asked him if he really thought he was going to need those.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the silicone fuse of frogfot's site. I used the permanganate/sulfur one and found it to be very reliable and even burning. I then found I accidently used the half the silicone required. I tried the propper comp with 2 parts silicone and the results were worse, the fuse burned faster in some places due to the flame being blown up its length and left more residue. On the upper hand its not crumbly ;)

I actually think these would work great on shells because of the burn time.

I can upload a video of the fuse I anyone asks.

Anyone buy the flying fish, falling leaf, and crackling fuses from cannonfuse?

I already have flying fish but I dont see anything special about it besides the color.

What does falling leaf do? How much do the crackling fuse crackle (like can I use them in place of dragon eggs)?

Anyone buy the flying fish, falling leaf, and crackling fuses from cannonfuse?

I already have flying fish but I dont see anything special about it besides the color.

What does falling leaf do? How much do the crackling fuse crackle (like can I use them in place of dragon eggs)?

I have: Flying fish fuse: Red, Green, Gold

Falling Leaf: Yellow, Red, Blue, Silver

Crackling: Red, Silver, Green

I love the crackling fish. It is not as loud as dragon eggs, but for close effects it is plenty loud enough (the green seems to be the loudest). For the Falling leaf, the silver has excellent sparks that look great in the sky (it is also quite fast burning and propulsive). The red is OK while the yellow has a nice color. The blue's flame envelope is quite small, however, and looks almost purple. As for flying fish, I stick with the gold as it is the most propulsive. This looks awesome shot out of a mortar and seems to be a crowd favorite with all the zipping fuse going everywhere. One guy remarked (in a pirate voice), "Thar be fire pixies in the air!" Other than that, the red and green flying fish just don't seem worth it to me.

On a side note, I have never used these in shells, only mortars or just simply lighting a piece and throwing it up (provides hours of entertainment). Hope that helps.

Well i just take the basic black match if i'm outta visco, except instead of using the whole thick string i split it in to thin strands before covering in BP slurry, when its dry i wrap it in a layer of those cigarette papers with pritt stick glue, then when dry a layer of sellotape. strangely reliable, and if the fuse is bound together tightly enough it stops any pearling and is slow burning. if i use thicker blackmatch core its mostly water resistant.

Seems to work fine for me, and the thin ones are perfect for small salutes etc. :D

Well if im out of american visco and am too lazy to make some black match i just take craft paper and some KNO3 and sugar put it on the craft paper and there you have it.