APC Forum

Fuses

kwstag

I'd probably just think you were dumb and made a mistake talking about sunscreen if you said SFP.

Wow, LOL, I didn't even think of that.

PGF, I will if its uncommon things from now on but BP, QM, and FP I'm sticking with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet! I love visco machines. I couldn't get the videos to run, but the machine looks awesome. It's on my "to do" list for a rainy month. Can you elaborate on it a bit? Did you have plans, or did you wing it?

Very nice oh and BTW the second video is the exact same thing you didn't copy and paste right. Read them and they're the same LOL. I'm sure it works though. How consistent are the results?

Oops, my mistake with the link - here is the "fuse in water" movie:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mlifmzc5wli

Swede, I didn't had plans with measures but the idea and structure is from machines i've seen in the net - Blaff (from other forum) made some very good visco machine, so I tried to "copy" the basic structure of his machine.

mormanman, the only problem I got now is BP flow, If I knock on the funnel fast enogh I get relatively consisntent fuse.

Swede, I didn't had plans with measures but the idea and structure is from machines i've seen in the net - Blaff (from other forum) made some very good visco machine, so I tried to "copy" the basic structure of his machine.

mormanman, the only problem I got now is BP flow, If I knock on the funnel fast enogh I get relatively consisntent fuse.

I've seen homemade machines that have a rod that is tied to the drive of the machine (maybe cam driven and spring/elastic return) that continuously taps the funnel to help with the flow.

I hope this is the right place for this if not please don't yell too loud. I 've been concentrating on making quality BP before moving on to other basic items required in pyro. The next step for me has been black match and quick match and there lies the problem.

The BM that I have been making uses meal powder ball milled for 12 hrs. (75/15/10+5 dextrin) made into a slurry. I get a very nice "poof" when testing the meal. I use 100% cotton string and a BM machine similar to Swede's in the tutorial section. The BM that I make (after many many tests) burns at a rate of 9.5 to 10 sec. per foot, but when I roll a tube and try to make QM I get "slow" match. It burns at about 6 sec. per foot and I can pick up the tube and use it over.

Quite honestly, I had better luck when I just threw the chems together and added water and soaked the string. It would almost act like a rocket "poof" and destroy the tube. I have no idea whats wrong any suggestions?

Try cutting back on the dextrin a little bit. Also, are you sure it is 100% completely dry?

Could you make the slurry any thicker? (too much water will draw off the KNO3)

How does your powder go at lifting?

Try cutting back on the dextrin a little bit. Also, are you sure it is 100% completely dry?

Could you make the slurry any thicker? (too much water will draw off the KNO3)

How does your powder go at lifting?

The BM is definately dry been hanging up outside for a week now and is still outside with very low humidity.

I will try cutting down on the dextrin and see what happens. I will also try another batch with my pre ball mill method of just throwing the chems together with some water and see what happens.

I am a bit of a perfectionist so no lifting of anything yet. I want to get the basics at least consistent before moving on.

The BM is definately dry been hanging up outside for a week now and is still outside with very low humidity.

I will try cutting down on the dextrin and see what happens. I will also try another batch with my pre ball mill method of just throwing the chems together with some water and see what happens.

I am a bit of a perfectionist so no lifting of anything yet. I want to get the basics at least consistent before moving on.

I'm of the thought of the Dex too. Ball milling should only increase it's performance.

This is really odd. As bare match it sounds good, and burns just fine. When you burn it does it throw off plenty of sparks and stuff? Kind of like a really weak sparkler?

What size of tube are you trying to roll for the quickmatch? I use 1/4" diameter for single strand, and go a bit bigger, maybe 5/16" or 3/8" when I am making double or triple strand. You may also want to try tying both the ends off with some bare match protruding from both sides and trying it then. It might just be you're using too short of a length for the pressure and sparks to build up to get the quickmatch effect.

What size of tube are you trying to roll for the quickmatch?

Interesting...but how could he pull the strand down a too tight tube? Wow... 3/8" QM? Must be an effect of it's own! ;{)

There is an effect of too tight, but that is just about only possible with tape. The 5/16" quickmatch with a couple strands of blackmatch in there goes off like a firecracker. I add a waterproofing layer of packing tape to mine, and that just makes it louder.

I really only make the 3/8" stuff for one reason. I use it to pass fire from my spolettes to the canule of my canister shells. My spolettes have an OD of 3/8, so it slides right over. They're not long enough to simply use nosing on bigger shells either. I like a strip of quickmatch down the entire canule. I think it breaks more symmetrically. Since it burns so fast and actually explodes, I always imagine it giving the burst a little boost.

I use a .250 dowel to make my tubes for the QM I have even used the bamboo skewers. One strand of my BM string fits in the skewer tubes. The package says extra thick and is slightly smaller then the dowel. I can't find my micrometer at the moment but my guess would be .187 since the BM (.125) fits in without any problems.

What is the effect of having too small a tube?

I use a .250 dowel to make my tubes for the QM I have even used the bamboo skewers. One strand of my BM string fits in the skewer tubes. The package says extra thick and is slightly smaller then the dowel. I can't find my micrometer at the moment but my guess would be .187 since the BM (.125) fits in without any problems.

What is the effect of having too small a tube?

If you have an even coat of powder, and it's not overly bound, and you can pull/feed it thru the tube...it's not too small. Back to too much binder I suppose, or an inadvertent incorrect mix.

You said that you were using a machine similar to Swede's. Its a good machine don't get me wrong but are you coating the wet BM with more DRY meal powder. I don't recall reading that you did or do. Try that then it burn the meal powder aswell as the meal powder soak cotton string.

• 4 weeks later...
i use visco as time fuse for small shells rockets roman candles anything else i love visco, also use quickmattch for shells. timefuse for big shells falling leaf fuse and blackmatch is a handy fuse for me thats pretty mutch it. visco bought of internet , timefuse bought, falling leaf fuse bought, quickmatch homemade, blackmatch homemade lol string with gas coated lmfao =)

• 2 months later...

Quick question.

What is the fuse that they use is black cats? (Everyone knows what black cats are, right?)

I thought it was called Chinese quick fuse but I can't find it anymore so...

Quick question.

What is the fuse that they use is black cats? (Everyone knows what black cats are, right?)

I thought it was called Chinese quick fuse but I can't find it anymore so...

http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/viewPrd...mp;idproduct=11

Richter, I looked at that and if you read the description it says,"burns at 15 seconds a foot." Thats slower than what those black cat fuses burn at right?

Richter, I looked at that and if you read the description it says,"burns at 15 seconds a foot." Thats slower than what those black cat fuses burn at right?

No idea. Not what you want to use for fusing cakes anyway. read my other post of fast visco.

No idea. Not what you want to use for fusing cakes anyway. read my other post of fast visco.

More as a replacement to QM.

If you put a few pieces inside a paper tube, the burn rate will drastically increase. That tissue paper does very little to resist sparks. I don't know if I would trust it as a crossmatch, but it most certainly will suffice to replace blackmatch in quickmatch.

Blackmatch burns at approxomately the same rate, and you obviously know what happens what it gets confined. Mine goes around a second an inch. It's hard to get a good time on it because of sparks jumping ahead and speeding up parts of it.

More as a replacement to QM.

I tried that stuff, or something very similar - Skylighter used to sell a firecracker fuse that was *two* strands of paper fuse joined. I also used it for fusing go-getters:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/1strowgogetters.jpg

I used two pieces (four strands) in a pipe for QM. It worked ok...enclosed it went up in a shot. It's main drawback is that it is NOT very flexible or durable; it's only a powder train wrapped in gampi paper. If you bend your QM, the gampi tissue the fuse is made of will crack. If you do this enough (like when folding the shell leader up), it can break and you face the real possibility of a hang-fire in the QM, which I did on several shells. If you do not like making your own Blackmatch (like me ;) ), I suggest using this:

http://www.skylighter.com/images/web_pictures/gn1205.jpg

Skylighter item GN1205, "Firecracker Fuse, Super-Fast Paper". It's three strands of real BM wrapped in gampi, not just a powder train like the other stuff. I use the fuse as-is in a pipe for QM and it practically explodes in the tube, and at $.156/ft., it's not too pricey. I harvest the individual strands of BM for cross-matching and fusing inserts. The stuff uses some great binder, because it absolutely won't flake under abuse, and at a nickel a foot, as long as I can get it, I will never will make BM again.

I bought some 1.8mm FF, premium 2mm visco and 1/4" chinese time fuse from PyroPlanet ages and ages ago. The problems I encountered were as following: The Flying Fish was too tightly wrapped so when it is straightened out it develops kinks, this does not stop it burning but the possibility is there.

The premium visco had the problem of the black powder core falling out during shell construction, I always had to cut the fuse longer than I needed and then cut it back to the correct length and prime the end well so no more powder fell out.

What fuse does not have the problem of the black powder falling out?

I am going to buy some 2mm visco from Czort as it is dead cheap, and I may buy some other fuse from PyroPlanet if there is anything I see that tickles my fancy.

EDIT: Whats the difference between red safety visco and green safety visco? Also has anyone bought crackling fuse before? Is it worth it?

Edited by Yankie