APC Forum

Substitute for realgar?

redbullzuiper

I wanted to try out this composition:

Golden chrysanthemum Potassium nitrate 40 Aluminium (flitter) 30 Sulphur 10 Realgar 10 Charcoal paulownia or softwood 2 Boric acid 1 SGRS 7

However, I don't have realgar and I can't buy it. I can't find any source, and the ones who have it are way to expensive. And on top of that, its very toxic.

So I wonder, what would be a good substitude? Or should I just leave out the realgar completely and increase the amount of Sulphur?

Look up orpiment, it's found along side the realgar rock and is the only suitable replacement. I've tried that comp with sulfer and was disappointed. It is expensive but worth the effect.

Look up orpiment, it's found along side the realgar rock and is the only suitable replacement. I've tried that comp with sulfer and was disappointed. It is expensive but worth the effect.

Orpiment €18,50 for 10 grams ... :o

I am not going to waste my money on that, ghehe.

Is there really nothing else? What if I replace it with antimony trisulfide?

The desired effect is quite beautiful but it is unique only to orpiment and realgar. You can try antimony trisulfide but it will not be the same, possibly not even similar.

Golden chrysanthemum, there is a bunch of comps that achieve this effect w/o the use of expensive realgar. I believe as mentioned above antimony trisulfide may be a sub... but may not give exact results. If it where me I would research other variations . Some old comps are outdated due to chem availability, and or safety.

That formula comes from Shimizu's Fireworks: Art, Science, and Technique. The realgar version is said to be the best, but there are also sulfur and antimony trisulfide variations given. Check there for some suitable alternative formulas.

That formula comes from Shimizu's Fireworks: Art, Science, and Technique. The realgar version is said to be the best, but there are also sulfur and antimony trisulfide variations given. Check there for some suitable alternative formulas.

This one looks as a good alternative

Source: Composition from Shimizu[1], page 221.

Comments:

Preparation:

Potassium nitrate.................................37

Aluminum (somewhat coarse flake)..................47

Sulfur............................................9

Boric acid........................................1

Soluble glutinous rice starch.....................6