APC Forum

Paper Fast Fuse (Black Match)

rbpwrd240

If you are going to impregnate your cotton with nitrate before making your match, do not use a supersaturated solution.

I found that as the string burns it exudes excess liquid nitrate which can slow down or even stop the black match from burning.

I make a supersaturated solution then add the same amount of water again.

• 1 month later...

I realize this stuff is as hard to get as a Unicorn fart anyone know where I can get some I just ordered the quick match kit from Pyrocreations but it was not the paper fuse it was advertised with. Instead I got the yellow fast fuse. :angry:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem. Pyrocreations is false advertising. I contacted them and explained that the Yellow Visco fuse that they supplied has no Black Match in it, because it is VISCO. They didn't respond after that, and did not issue a refund or exchange.

I believe, due to new laws, they have quit shipping BlackMatch out of China as 1.4G, and that is why we are down to a couple of vendors who still have the gray paper fuse. It cannot be found in quantity anywhere.

I now have a board with a couple of nails in it, and I can string up 100' of blackmatch in a few minutes, so I make it myself, now.

To make gray fuse, wrap 2-3 strands of BM with tissue paper and spray with nitrocellulose lacquer. A thread wrapping helps for strangth. This fuse burns faster than the gray fuse.

So am I to understand the 3Fg,CMC and Dextrin wont make a quality Black Match?

Thats all you need, although your granulated powder already has enough Dextrin in it.

Edited by TotalElectric

Commercial powder has no or extremely little dextrin in it. It gains it's physical strength from being pressed into a cake and broken up, not from a binder.

Good luck finding black powder at a gun shop. The only place i can find it in this state is at a muzzle loader specialty shop and it's minimum $20 a pound. And brother, a pound of b.p. don't stretch far...

my first attempt wasn't so good though it did work. my mistake was cotton string too thick. my second batch was with thin cotton string 5% dextrin and 1% cmc. once dry it's stiff and is great in leader pipe. Now it's bye bye time fuse hello spolettes. That is if I can find the correct tubes. I know it's possible to roll your own but to get them to the point they can be rammed is a bit much. I have a bunch of 2oz rocket tubes that I could use.

Fortunately I bought a good supply of paper fast fuse before it became a problem. my motto is always get more than you think you will ever use.

Edited by Merlin

Hey merlin.

I used #10 crochet thread from wal mart. 1 to 1 mix water to milled bp + 3% dex. + 1% cmc.

worked nicely after i dried it well. You need a heat box or a long time to get it dry.

and. it needs to be dusted with more bp dust right after pulled onto the rack. It'll look perfect without the dusting.. till it dries and sucks it all into the string.

rpbw, i heard you mention San Antonio? if San Antonio, Texas and you havent done you show yet, then give me a call, 254-289-4791. problem solved.

joe

Make ur black match slurry to a soup consistency. ( I've used anything from fine meal to ffg ) add 100% cotton string & carefully ( to stop tangles ) agitate the string in the slurry, giving it plenty of time to soak completely through all the fibres. Dry for a week. When cut there should not be any visible white strands at all. my applicator is a small paint container which slurry is in with a neat hole in the lid which string is feed through. Pulling through the neat fitting hole leaves a beautiful even coating from start to finish. A very basic explanation and technique, but it works and makes beautiful BM every time.