APC Forum

Stainless/Brass Media?

LiamPyro

Liam, Sounds like a fun test I'd be interested in any information you'd like to share from your tests.

I've got some ground alder that's been on my porch in my fairly high humidity climate of TN with the lid just resting on the bucket for a few months now. I had a run or two with the stainless where it built up on the outside diameter of my small PVC jar, but it came loose very easily and was as fluffy as all get out.

One warning " don't spill the 5/16 " it's a PITA to gather back up. Don't ask how I know!

LiamPyro, at least the charcoal will be well-milled now! Of course, I will be interested in the results :) What size was the willow going in? I have heard quite a few complaints about purchased willow charcoal being weak. And others say the opposite. Hope you got the good stuff, or made the charcoal.

I've spilled the 5/16" media once too. 6600 of them, in the dirt. I pay better attention now.

Just got done shooting a couple mags thru my Springfield XDs 9..looking at the casings. Could not one pour lead into them for media? Might be a cheaper way out. Even if you don’t shoot..ranges have empties to be had for cheap. Just pondering.

• Like 1

i am getting ready to cast some bronze balls from scrap, i built a foundry that will get to 2000 degrees. cheap way to do. i use lead on my bp, but magal need something a kittle harder. it would be perfect if i found some styrofoam balls the right size. it would be fast and easy.

memo

• 3 weeks later...

I've been unbelievably busy recently and haven't gotten much of anything done pyro wise, but to answer a few questions: The willow is purchased, it is not quite airfloat and seems to have a wide range in particle size. I got it from Hobby Chemical Supply, although they no longer stock it. I can send some pictures or actual data of the particle size. From previous testing, it seems great, at least in comparison to hardwood airfloat.