APC Forum

Strontium Nitrate Red Stars (No Magnalium)

BlueComet24

"Looking at Shimizu's tests, we can see that uncoated magnalium will be attacked dangerously by hydrochloric acid, ammonium perchlorate, potassium chlorate and perchlorate, and nitrates."

I thought those tests were done with magnesium, not the alloy magnalium.

Looking at table 12 on page 126 of my copy of FAST MgAl is only slightly more reactive at room temp in the wet state than Al. I treat my MgAl with Pot. Dich. just to be safe.

Yes, Shunt, you're right. I should probably learn to read table captions. :P

By chance, I also wanted to make red stars without Mg/Al... thanks to this post and AzoMittle for sharing formulas, I got what I wanted ^_^

BigG's Red #1

Red Gum, 5

Parlon, 18

Aluminum (Dark), 12

Strontium Nitrate, 65

Some observations:

I sieving the mixture 3 times. I used the method of "cut -stars" wetting with acetone. The mixture is very sandy, hard to get the right consistency.

You need to prime it, have difficulty to catching fire.

Stars:

Primed stars:

Test video:

Edited by Aspirina
  • Like 2

Cool, I really appreciate you posting some pictures and videos! Having videos allows us to go back and compare this red to other reds.

Is nothing!

With my little knowledge, the least I can do is share with you the progress'm doing. And if I help someone, best impossible ;)

I'd like to try making BigG's Red #1, but I'm not doing parlon-bound stars again! I think I'll try using alcohol to activate the red gum. Adding 5% dextrin and boric acid and using water should also be fine, right?

Blue! I wish to encourage you to do Parlon-bound again!

They are NOT the nightmare you play them out to be. Do some more research on the handling properties, solvent amounts, and other qualities of such mixtures.

I can tell you that they are an IMPORTANT part of commercial operations, and we had "no trouble" with them, after having sorted out the handling issues. I'll also add that they DO require "special handling". Because we were a close-proximity pyro company, we did a LOT of things that required special handling!

There are some effects you won't get without Parlon. (no... not here... no time today! <G>)

Lloyd

Well, I'm out of acetone anyway, and I'm too impatient to wait (I won't be back at my pyro stuff until Wednesday). I'm going to cut these stars, as I don't have a roller. Are you saying parlon-bound cut or rolled stars aren't a nightmare?

Is there anything wrong with red gum-bound cut stars? They'll get slick if I over-wet them, but other than that, I can't think of anything.

I'm saying that acetone/"other solvent" solvated Parlon stars are unreplacable in the pyro inventory.

(for a hint, usually a blend of solvents is used; not JUST acetone!)

You can choose to eschew them, or you can learn to make them. Your choice. I'm just the messenger.

LLoyd

Ah, I see. I won't shun parlon-bound stars completely, but for now I'd prefer to stick with dextrin, gum arabic, and red gum.