APC Forum

Matchead glue question

SmokinJoe

I've only used R.P. in making my 'matches'. It works well, and I've had no trouble getting it, albeit in small quantities (20g) and it comes in from strange places (e.g. Russia). I mix into my 'liquid' mixture last, haven't had any issues/ignitions. ATF said I would need a license for mfg for public use, did not need an approval for the product. Said I did need to contact DHS on quantities limits on my incoming chemicals. So I read the CFR regs and it says they haven't determined a threshold limit as to the amount at which I become a regulated person. Dang, back into government malarky...seems we're not getting the same answer as to registering requirements. I'll make another call....Btw, the flow issue was resolved by adding water until I get a flowable mixture. This worked for my other mixtures as well. Seemed that it was deemed general knowledge to do this, and not discuss it in the recipe....caused me a lot wasted experiments however!

§1310.03 Persons required to keep records and file reports.

(a) Each regulated person who engages in a regulated transaction involving a listed chemical, a tableting machine, or an encapsulating machine shall keep a record of the transaction as specified by Sec. 1310.04 and file reports as specified bySec. 1310.05. However, a non-regulated person who acquires listed chemicals for internal consumption or "end use" and becomes a regulated person by virtue of infrequent or rare distribution of a listed chemical from inventory, shall not be required to maintain receipt records of listed chemicals under this section.

• 5 months later...

For old school match heads, my favorite binder is animal glue. If you keep it warm it remains workable for quite awhile and dries to a nice tough consistency without becoming too brittle. You need to soak if for a few hours (or overnight) to get it ready. When you are ready to work you need to bring it up to 140 degrees F. Be careful not to overheat it as it will lose its powers. If you don't want the hassle of this, Gum arabic is a good alternative. I have found the ideal amount of glue in your paste to be in the 9%-12% range (dry weight). If you want to play around with some modifications a touch of dextrin will made it harder, but too much will make your heads brittle and they will crack off after awhile. starch is a mild thickener if your mastic is too runny and gum tragacanth really thickens things up which helps in the dipping process.