APC Forum

24" Girandolas!

dagabu

I think you need to make a third refrain to give it a good beat, I just cant sing along... :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on frame materials for a while and have changed it up some but have decided on reed for the frame exteriors. Pine is too soft and breaks easily even when laminated, hardwoods are too heavy and bamboo, well, I just plain don't like working with it and it's really too expensive for what I get from it.

Here is a stack of my frames so far, there is a glass of my home brewed Black IPA on top for scale.

20160710_201735%2B%25281%2529.jpg

• Like 1

The one place where I have stumbled a bit is in the splices on the frames. I ended up making a jib to picnh the reed and straighten it out, the jig is cut at an angle to allow for a 4" splice. The glue I am using is Akfix PA370 Polyurethane Glue, Amazon Prime has it for $12.00 for 500g. I am testing it on butt and end grain joints now but so far, it seems to be every bit as solid as Gorilla Glue for a fraction of the cost. Plus, its clear/white!

IMG_1829.JPG

BTW: If you are coming to PGI convention in LaPorte this year, I will have several frames available for use, they are laminated pine and are a bit on the heavy side but they will fly fine at 550g.

A 3/4" ID endburner will generate about 2.5 pounds of thrust and you want to use a 3:1 thrust:weight ratio or so (Tony from SLAP uses 2.1:1 I guess) for your girandola so the frame weight is negated with your first motor less the motor weight itself.

It would be good to know in advance if you want one or two, I have several.