APC Forum

Visco machine.

Rkteer

It's probably also worth noting that there are very few applications that require visco. Blackmatch and spolettes can cover about 95+% of pyro.

To further Mumbles comment -- even for timing between tubes of your home-made cakes, (good) bare match may be used as a timing element, so long as you provide paper 'vanes' between tubes in order to prevent 'flash-over' from one fuse/tube to another.

Visco is a handy item for testing, but almost unnecessary in 'real' pyro constructions.

Lloyd

a replacement can be nc cover black match, i use ping pong balls so not really nc but it works. i cant buy visco here either. I have only tried that a few times so I can't say how reliable it will be... it needs to be tested

memo

Edited by memo

I really need to proof read, damn my spelling sucks

I've been having fun timing cakes with small spollettes and homegrown QM. Once you have your spollette timing right it doesn't matter how long your QM is!

Also there's no exposed BM to accidently take fire.

Edited by OldMarine

I don't think it's too hard to make a machine though.

But then I am a fitter and Turner.

The best thing to do I think is make it so you can adjust speeds of the thread rpm ad the collection rpm.

I did this by using a pulse width modulator and two DC motors.

On my fuse it's not burning as well with ping pong nc.

Should I use smokeless powder for the nc?

And what ratios do you use for the nc acetone and smokeless

I'll have a talk with twignberry re visco machine. Tho I'll research black match & spolettes, as I've never heard of it.

In relation to nc, I've tried two ways. Dissolving ping pong balls in acetone, all I ended up with was a big lump. I guess not all ball are nitrocellulose, or whatever it exactly is. Tried dissolving smokeless powder, it just didn't blend properly, even after leaving for 24hrs. Don't know!!

Not all ping pong balls are nc.

If you have never made spolettes and black match make them first before a visco machine. They can do pretty much all of your timings.

Hey Mate,

I'm getting close to finishing the mkII visco machine, just waiting on a laser cutter to arrive then I'll be onto testing.

FYI, Ping pong balls take a good bit of time to dissolve even if you cut them up and I've found even fine grain smokeless needs a good bit of shaking to encourage it.

RedRocketman,

I'm going to re-post a method for making NC lacquer from smokeless powder, because every couple of years, it tends to fall on "new ears".

Because NC lacquer is so important to many things we do, it's important that you have a relatively easy and reliable way to make it. Ned Gorski tried this for the first time when we were collaborating on a crackle article, and he hasn't gone back. This is based upon "10% lacquer", which is 10% w/v of NC powder to acetone. So... 10g of NC to 90ml (up to about 100ml) of Acetone --

-=================-

"There's a secret to making the lacquer that I've published over and
over, and folks STILL think it takes a couple of days to make. In
reality, it takes about 60-90 minutes with only about 5 minutes actual work.

Measure out the acetone in a vessel at least four times larger than
the volume you're working with. I use a deep stainless steel mixing
bowl from a kitchen mixer. With a kitchen whisk in your strong hand,
and the weighed NC powder in the other, start slowly but uniformly
pouring the powder into the acetone while you whisk your arm off. Mix
FAST, and don't stop until the whole mass thickens up to about the
consistency of heavy cream. Work lumps down off the sides of the bowl
as you go. Don't _ever_ let any undissolved powder settle to the
bottom.

Now, cover the bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Come back
and whisk again for about three or four minutes, and your lacquer is
ready. You can ignore any "soft lumps"; they'll dissolve during the
kneading process...

(The 'kneading process' of making crackle. If you intend to JUST use this

as NC lacquer for coating, etc. then let it sit another 30 minutes and whisk

again... DONE!)

IF you need thinner lacquer, do not add additional acetone until you're all

done making the 10% lacquer. The process depends upon the ability of

a very thick suspension KEEPING undissolved bits in suspension until they

dissolve.

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd

I've used Lloyd's method and I can't recommend it enough. The double base powder not only binds but adds fire to the equation. I dipped 3 small comets in that lacquer but somehow forgot to dip them in the prime mix yet they lit and blues are generally harder to light! (for me)

• 2 months later...