APC Forum

Spindle sticking constantly

OldMarine

Yep, Lloyd, I used to use 3 minute washed rouge for "figuring" and 5 minute washed rouge for final polishing.

** Opps! It shows how long it's been... I would "figure" with 5 minute rouge. For final polishing, I used to let it settle for 24 hours, and then used what was left suspended.

Edited by MadMat

I hate to tell you how long it's been, but the last one I did, I got within 1/8th wavelength of perfectly paraboloid, It took a LONG time with my Foucault tester to do that, I tell you!

And - duh! - it was just for a simple Newtonian! I never did any perforated mirrors for complex optics.

Now, 1/10th wavelength finished mirrors (already aluminized and over-coated) are so inexpensive, it just isn't worth the weeks of time necessary to grind and figure and polish your own, and THEN have to send it out to a vacuum house to have it coated.

Lloyd

Yeah, I gave up on making and bought a Nexstar 11 sct..... I got it for dirt cheap from an estate sale (Yeah I know, this is off topic, so I'll shut up from here on :)

Same here:

ON the original topic -- Patrick got a visit from another pyro friend DBY, and they got past the sticking problem (mostly). He switched him to a 'known good' clay (Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat), and they came off alright.

In addition, Patrick showed hi-res pictures of his spindle. It appears to have a short portion just above the divergent cone of the nozzle former that very well could be 'reverse tapered'. It sure looks that, to me.

So, he has a new spindle on the way that will be verified not to have that defect, and he has a new clay to fool with!

Lloyd

Pressed several 1 and 3 lb rockets last night and had little problem removing them from the spindle. I think the clay was definitely my biggest problem.

The 1" still didn't come off quite as easily as Caleb's did in his video but was manageable.

I did notice that my 1 lb u/h set made by SLD has a more noticeable taper than my 3lb set.

Got my new spindle from Caleb and what a difference! With a graphite/clay nozzle these twist off the spindle with just my hand.

Going to my ex wife's place to launch a few. Hopefully someone besides her will run the camera.

Believe it or not Lloyd, I shined that spindle up like a mirror after each rocket. I "jacked it off" with "0000"steel wool and lubed it with the dry Teflon each time.

The new spindle Caleb sent me is stainless steel with a much more noticeable taper. I figure I'll lose a bit of thrust and hence sound but all in all a good trade off if I don't have to trash 5 of 6 rockets!