APC Forum

Rcandy vs BP

MadMat

I don't think that waxing would be of much use to RCandy. It's supposed to be a combination lubricant and seal based on what I'm familiar with. It helps to lubricate the walls so that the pressure you apply to the BP is better translated into force on the fuel as opposed to friction against the walls and scrunching of the tubing. This should also help to prevent cracking of the grains as the tube relaxes a bit. It's also alleged to help form a better seal between the BP and the wall of the tube to prevent flame from penetrating this area and cause CATO's. It has measurable and observable advantages. RCandy being relatively soft and mildly tacky probably wouldn't benefit as greatly.

Waxing tubes is supposed to be pretty easy, though I have never actually done it. I have seen it done though. The first generation method involved using rags, brushes, or swabs to pull molten wax through tubes. The last iteration I saw used electric hot water pots to melt the wax. The molten wax is used to fill the tube and then allow to flow out. What adheres to the tube is about right, though it is dependent on the wax temperature.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something important.

No, you brought it on the point, maybe just the point with the first and 2nd generation waxing is aw little weird. They are just different methods which all work.

Yeah the swabbing vs. filling and draining both work. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both methods. The fill and drain method seemed to be more efficient and a bit better suited toward batch processing.

Yeah,

the little I have read about waxing was concerned with bp rockets, and like I said I'm more of a rcandy guy. I really don't think waxing would've helped my bp rocket. It was simply an explosion from the get go. After trying a few more, it became apparent that the problem I had, had to do with the core. My bp formula burned rather slowly.... no core meant no lift-off. Adding a core made the burn run-away and boom!

I believe the biggest problem was the fact that my tooling is custom made for my particular type of rcandy rocket (short core for a fast take-off). I actually drilled the core into my bp rockets (hand drilled very carefully!) I'll bet the drilling probably loosened up the bp and ruined my packing around the core.... loose powder around the core... BOOM!

Edited by MadMat