APC Forum

Binary Exploding Target: .22 subsonic rimfire challenge

dbooksta

It's now common knowledge that:

1. AN-based exploding targets can be made by sensitizing with Al, but they require high-velocity (e.g., over 2000fps) bullets to detonate
  2. Flash compounds can be triggered by .22 rimfires. But they're dangerous to handle because they're flash powders.
  3. There are commercial binary exploding targets (e.g., Star Targets, or Tannerite White Lightning) that will detonate from .22 rimfires. And because they are sold to the public I assume they do not use flash compounds for which the govt requires licenses (or that are so sensitive that a careless user could ignite them during mixing and handling in the worst conditions).

Challenge: Reverse-engineer a binary "exploding" compound that can be triggered by a 40gr soft-lead bullet traveling 900fps (i.e., a subsonic .22LR at 100 yards).

The binary components can not be more hazardous than ORM-D when unmixed, and when mixed must be as safe to handle as consumer fireworks. I.e., targets cannot "explode" from static, drop, or slow crushing. And they cannot degrade to autoignite at temperatures under 100C.

Some related threads:

If you don't mind them being terribly loud, the flash works fine.. a shotgun or pistol sets them off like clockwork.. They do hurt when you are that close. :)

If you don't mind them being terribly loud, the flash works fine.. a shotgun or pistol sets them off like clockwork.. They do hurt when you are that close. :)

Of course flash works: Some flash compounds can be set off by just shaking them in a container that isn't static-proofed.

And loud/shocking is the objective.

Re-read the challenge: We're trying to find a relatively safe binary that's sensitive to subsonic rimfires. and we're using the existence of two such commercial products as motivation.

Edited by dbooksta

so you are saying 70/30 is dangerous contained in a shell or container?

so you are saying 70/30 is dangerous contained in a shell or container?

Properly packed and contained I don't know.

Is it legal to ship those chemicals together? In any case I suspect that compound fails the challenge because you would never hand those components to someone and say, "Here, mix up a few ounces of this."

"Some flash compounds can be set off by just shaking them in a container that isn't static-proofed."

Dont believe so, once in a container there is no potential of the mixture any more.

Weird.... they do it in proximity effects all the time..

oh wait.. binary method of mixing flash is the ONLY method that is allowed at PGI and most meets.

If you are worried about it, use PAPER everything.

Taking a look at the patent for "In The Red" brand of low velocity exploding targets may be a start.

Taking a look at the patent for "In The Red" brand of low velocity exploding targets may be a start.

do you have a link ?then a comparison with tannerite can be made

cant find a patent link

I sent the first patent to dbooksta when he asked about where to locate this thread, but I figure it would be good for all as well. I don't know if it's exactly an In the Red target, but it's designed for low velocity rounds. The other is something similar, but uses a fairly sensitive composition. Checking citing and reference patents would probably find more.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20100275802

http://www.google.com/patents/US4498677

• Like 1

Interesting links mumbles, granulating the components separately is something I wouldn't have thought of. I wonder if that process would be useful for building salutes, where binary mixing is required.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0275802.html

note: thiourea

2 comps are used. One which does the igniting of the second. Both comps are granulated . The first a chlorate/charcoal/thiourea and shellac binder, the second a P.perchlorate/aluminum/and binder pref shellac again. As listed the comps are blended 70% 1st 30% 2nd. Ebay allows sales of thiourea. It's what makes comp 1 sensitive enough to initiate from a low velocity projectile. It helps to have a hard surface behind the finished target as most do that are "low velocity". A log works. youtube videos of "in the red"

It's one of those damn, why did'nt I think of that.

Edited by Sparx88
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
subsonic. 22lr makes a chemical mixture that acts like flash. they give you two parts and you mix them in a static proof bag. they tell you to mix on site and shoot immediatly. they say it can explode if stored for any period of time. sounds like large quantities of flash to me. .... Edited by Thedismisser
  • Like 1