APC Forum

Black Powder Firecrackers for Special FX?

OblivionFall

I wouldn't use flash in a mortar stick with bp for the mortar

Yeah, it's definitely not the best idea, but I've worked with KNO3 flash quite a bit and I think I can make it go thump and shoot flour mixed with sawdust fly out of it.

Yeah, it's definitely not the best idea...

Then don't do it. That phrase should be a red flag for any part of this hobby, especially close proceed effects. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

• Like 1

Ok fair enough. Maybe I could use sugar/kno3 in the right ratio?

How well would granulated green mix work?

Are there any other options if black powder is not one?

I watched the vid you referenced.

A good load of green mix in a 2" paper tube buried in the ground about x inches covered with dirt would be much safer than any flash.

You do the test, and find out what works. Pyro is not quick and easy like a microwave dinner, nor is special FX. If you rush either you might get burned.

Using a flammable mixture like sawdust and flour could also lead to a fireball instead of a dust cloud. This really isn't a situation for poorly thought through decisions and shortcuts. There is some information on the forum about how to do this properly. You may want to look up some of Bonny's and 50AE's posts and threads.

By the way, I'd appreciate it if you could remove that photo from your signature. The rules clearly state text only. It keeps things looking cleaner and loading faster.

Using a flammable mixture like sawdust and flour could also lead to a fireball instead of a dust cloud. This really isn't a situation for poorly thought through decisions and shortcuts. There is some information on the forum about how to do this properly. You may want to look up some of Bonny's and 50AE's posts and threads.

By the way, I'd appreciate it if you could remove that photo from your signature. The rules clearly state text only. It keeps things looking cleaner and loading faster.

Oh ok I didn't realize sorry.

I watched the vid you referenced.

A good load of green mix in a 2" paper tube buried in the ground about x inches covered with dirt would be much safer than any flash.

You do the test, and find out what works. Pyro is not quick and easy like a microwave dinner, nor is special FX. If you rush either you might get burned.

Ok then green mix it is. Should I granulate it? What granule size would be optimal?

The video above was made by Ned Gorski . He Is a world class pyro and a PGI champion. He has a lot of tutorials on his youtube sight. He also produced many of skylighters vids. It should be noted that different size shells have a different numbers of spiking wraps. If you want to make fireworks watch Neds posts.

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not saying a huge ****....If you have a cylinder filled with BP and ignite it at one end whe BP needs to burn from A to B.If you start the burning at point C(middle of the cylinder) it will burn at the same time from C to B and from C to B.The distance is shorter in both cases and they will burn at the same time so the gases will be produced faster than in the first case...I think.Is this right?I saw the design of the M80 and this is what I could think of...