APC Forum

Famous last words

brimstoned

Indeed MrB, its mostly impossible to add any famous last words as they didn't survive... For me, it was six weeks in a coma, intubation, extensive skin grafts and MRSA infections, I think that about as close as one can get.

Yeah. Thats quite close. Definitely one of those "near death" experiences, people talk about. They keep talking about white tunnels, and short blackouts... They have no idea.

Not for me, it was just a lot of screaming...

My "Oh shit" moment was when a table spoon of TATP went of, hanging in a nylon coffee filter after being rinsed with water, and dried. On the kitchen sink. The filter was hung over/in a red plastic drinking container. (Coca Cola, i think i got it as a summer drive item of McDonald's, like 25 years ago. You paid a premium to get it, but then just paid a buck or so to get refills as long as you brought it.)

I carry some of the plastic bits from that around to this day. And i don't need a necklace or anything to hang them from, they stay with me... Always.

Anyway. Shit happened, and my response was, appropriately, "Oh Shit".

Could you tell, i was in a state of shock? I couldn't. Took my friends the better part of the next days morning to get me to the hospital, so they could do anything about it. At which point i of course claimed that i had been drinking to much, and had no clear memories of the event, but that i sort of remember someone shooting fireworks in the central park, at which point something went bang, and it was the last thing i remembered. They probably knew i was lying through my teeth, but didn't ask.

As best as i can tell it was the florescent light, or the starter for it, that somehow set it of, as it happened when the light started flickering. Needless to say the whole lighting fixture had to be replaced, so i couldn't really check it out after the fact. Now... Do i need to tell anyone, that my pyro & explosives have been put outside the living area since then? Trust me, cleaning up the aftermath, and getting it all to look like nothing happened when the landlord inspected it after me moving out, was reason enough, even if you were to keep suicidal tendencies... I don't.

No screaming here tho. But then, i wasn't on fire. And at that point i wasn't in pain. That came later.

Best of all. Plastic bits in-bedding them self in concrete walls, the stainless steel kitchen sink was pretty much garbage, hard and soft stuff flying everywhere... My left index finger hurts when it gets squeezed the wrong way when carrying home the shopping. Especially when it's cold outside. And the scaring turns a weird shade of purple, also when it's cold. I got full mobility, didn't lose any extremities... I got lucky. Real lucky.

Nuff of this. It turned in to more then just the last few words... Which hardly can be claimed to be "last words", looking at tall them words i wrote ;- )

Who's next?

B!

• Like 2

I don't understand why some people mess with that kind of stuff.... I just don't get it.....

Doing it as a learning experiment in a controlled professional lab is even kind of borderline. What drives a person to even attempt making TATP in their kitchen sink? Because, Mr B, I'm fairly certain you aren't a kewl, so why?????

I don't understand why some people mess with that kind of stuff.... I just don't get it.....

Doing it as a learning experiment in a controlled professional lab is even kind of borderline. What drives a person to even attempt making TATP in their kitchen sink? Because, Mr B, I'm fairly certain you aren't a kewl, so why?????

It was 20 years ago. Since i was born in the late 70's, i guess that says it all.

The fact that it was, and still is, a lot easier (and cheaper) to get the chemicals together for TATP, then for PB and / or flash around here might have had something to do with it. I used TATP for salutes, be it air, or ground. Not something that i'd suggest, and considering that i made the stuff by the bucket... Lets just say the tablespoon worth of it that went of was bad enough.

Speaking of kewl... Isn't there a bit in all of us, that back when we were kids just wanted the noise? I've never been one for property damage, but i will admit to this day, a good deep thundering boom, brings a smile to my face. Especially if it's "mine". Yes. Fireworks are so much more, and i've long since quit doing "bangs only", but i still cant shoot more then 2 things in to the air without there being a salute, or a bunch, somewhere in there.

B!

Edited by MrB

Missing the tip of my forefinger...came across some materials when I was sixteen and decided to make copper azide. An excellent doctor saved most of the hand.

I still carry 3 shards of shrapnel in my left hand from a childish experiment with .22 rounds. I was 13 years old at the time and ignorant about how rim-fire cartridges are constructed. I decided to pull the lead out with pliers, harvest the powder, and make some bigger bangs. That process seemed too slow to me, so I moved on to 2 pairs of pliers, and then on to a small hammer to just beat the lead out of the cartridge. The rim-fire primer ignited the shell just as it was supposed to do, and the explosion was confined between the cinder block and pliers on the bottom side, and the hammer head on the top side.

You can guess the rest. Trip to the ER, blood oozing from 3 holes in my fingers and hand, the doctor prodded and poked and concluded there was no shrapnel in my hand, just a skin penetration. :unsure:

Years later I had to go the ER again to check a finger that was damaged from a basketball game In high school, and after X-rays the doctor came in and said "your finger is not broken, but did you know you have 3 pieces of metal embedded in your hand, and one is resting on the main nerve in your ring finger?" I said "no, but I always wondered about that white place I could just see under the skin, and why It hurt like hell from even a gentle tap".

I was very fortunate not to have more serious damage to my body as others have described in the posts above mine.

It is my hope that the younger and/or less experienced who read these posts, might be diverted from injury.

• Like 1

MrB., you're quite right that those weren't my last words. In fact, I didn't even say any of those things (outside of inner-monolog), but as far as general bad practice, which could lead to a premature death, I felt those quotes to be accurate. The TATP one was paraphrased from the infamous "Phone accident".

" I got 5,000 sparklers stuffed in this old muffler, find me some rocks to hold it down..."

• Like 1