APC Forum

Prime question

braddsn

Not trying to butt in here but why are you guys not using nitrocellose lac for mixing you S.N. based stars? They dry fast and are very strong for hard breaks also helps by sealing them somewhat from assorbing mosture. I have used it on cut stars for years and never had any problems. Just wondering.

Pretty expensive from commercial point of view and not possible for bulk batch.

Acetone/Parlon seems fine but still expensive.

Not trying to butt in here but why are you guys not using nitrocellose lac for mixing you S.N. based stars? They dry fast and are very strong for hard breaks also helps by sealing them somewhat from assorbing mosture. I have used it on cut stars for years and never had any problems. Just wondering.

Because its fckn sh*t.

Just kidding, but really, its a mess. I prefer acetone and parlon.

For hardness, I've never had problems with dextrin. It is truly rock hard.

Question: When I roll the last layer on my stars, I like to leave them to dry while they are still a little moist. If I roll them until they are dry (dusting?), they are normally a bit dirty to work with when building the shell.

This seems to be making a kind of protective surface, and makes them harder to ignite by lighter(my latest batch of Yankies flashing stars literally melted before smouldering, while they ignited with a touch of a flame after the second last layer, which was more dusty).

Does this affect them after adding prime to them, or should I not worry about this?

I hope this makes sense to someone, I tend to explain myself a bit shitty.