APC Forum

different shell containers used in Indian fireworks

pyrodoc

During the domestic manufacture boom in the US, there was a conversion over to flash for a few reasons as well. Namely, grain BP gets expensive and it's usually not feasible to make all that you need. Using 10g of flash is a lot less expensive than using 200g of BP. Probably equally as important is that it allowed for the use of an unskilled labor force. As we all know, it takes practice, training, and skill to make good shells. There isn't a lot of training involved in taking someone off the street and showing them to make flash broken shells that aren't going to look great in the first place anyway. The few outfits I've heard about first hand generally had a labor force to make the "filler" shells, like small single color breaks, and had a few craftsmen who made the exhibition shells. Even these exhibition shells were becoming increasingly flash broken though.

I primed a lot of stars with black powder based compositions and anything with flash would cause them to go blind. I really like to know how they prime them, maybe with armstrong's mix??

I highly doubt they use armstrongs to prime with. Just the lift alone would set the shell off.

• Like 1

its quanity = price

meaning you can use 10g of flash that would cost 2cents

or use 100grams of BP that will cost 25 cents (These are made up numbers but are to show a point )

you can make more fireworks with using 10grams of FP out of that 1lb batch than that 100grams of BP out of a 1lb batch

hope this kind of makes sense, im not good at explaining things like this

hope this kind of makes sense, im not good at explaining things like this

I think you did just fine. ^_^

I remember when I took apart a festival ball for the first time..I was 14 .even then I was amazed at the lack of care or precision. I remember thinking, thats all these are? A small pile of slow flash and some random sized stars just rolling around loose like a baby rattle. :angry: