APC Forum

ammonium nitrate

zakmaster524

• 1 year later...
Regarding AN composite propellant, I've found that adding 5-10% KN mixed in drastically reduces apparent AN phase changes, or at least greatly improves storage life of AN propellant grains.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out yesterday that my container of AN (from cold packs) had gotten mushy, due to moisture. Took 37 grams AN and 4 grams aluminum powder in a pill bottle. Still worked as a noise multiplier, although it was more difficult to mix.

Any thoughts as to whether this mixture becomes less stable as the AN deteriorates?

Sigh.... John, AN is essentially useless in any kind of serious amateur pyro endeavor (it's used in a few military devices, where they can afford the special processing and packaging to protect it.)

It's extremely hygroscopic, as you've discovered. It is also corrosive. Damp AN can, and often does react with metals.

Don't mix this stuff and keep it around.

Lloyd

The actual AN by itself won't become unstable. Once it starts getting moisture in it, it begins to get harder to detonate and requires more energy aka faster rounds. It eventually reaches a point where it only partially detonates and some goes unreacted resulting in a less impressive boom. Eventually it will do nothing from a bullet impact once it gets enough moisture in it.

AN is very hygroscopic, actually deliquescent, and down here in Florida a spilt prill can become a small puddle of water in a few hours. It needs a very secure container to stay dry and some plastics can let enough water in to still get wet after a few months time.

I personally try to avoid AN in pyro. It is better suited to explosive use in my opinion. Also very hygroscopic. However AN can be used to make saltpeter. Through the replacement of the Ammonium ion by the potassium ion it becomes less hygroscopic and in my opinion more stable for pyro purposes. But if you are trying to destroy something, AN would be better. I guess AN could lend itself to very loud reports, but then again you may start approaching the HE boundary and generate window shattering shock waves. In my opinion not very practical for general pyro, but that is the beauty of diversity. Maybe you may invent a spectacular new effect with it.

I thought the mix was Kclo3 and Ammonium Chloride , plus a burn rate stabilizer like bicarbonate . . Never seen kno3 work for smokes ,other than white mixes (not ammonium chloride comps).

I never really experimented with smoke that much. I did however read a recipe on the Internet once that suggested charcoal soaked in 80W gear oil, sugar, and pvc filings. It probably sound just as nuts to you guys as it does to me. Especially with no oxidizer. I have noticed though that R candy generates a pretty massive amount of smoke. My friend Pat swears on powdered milk and lactose tablets as an additive. I never really tried it myself. I have normally tried to keep smoke to a minimum. Especially when experimenting or in the off season. It's kind of a dead giveaway if the cops see an aerial shell go off follow where they think it came from and find your Ninja smoke and house still there. (Note: Ninja smoke seems not to work without being able to leave. 😆)