APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

That was a very nice show Fredbert.

I think the feasibility of using tape wrapped BM as time fuse depends on the quality of your blackmatch. I currently don't use BM at all, but I remember that the (very poor quality) batches of BM that I have made would not burn through tape reliably. Obviously, it can't act finicky when you wrap it in tape if you are planning to use it as time fuse. I imagine that if you had a uniform, thick BM you could get away with using it as time fuse.

And perhaps I'm the only who was too lazy to refine my process for making BM! I'm currently using fast visco for leaders, and diagonally cut & primed American visco for time fuse (I don't crossmatch and all my stuff is bottom fused). If I start shooting larger collections of things at a time (Fredbert style!) I may just get back into making BM that I don't waste so much fast visco.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2,5" Tiger Tail Round Shell

http://www.vpx.pl/up/20080824/mlsp_a0368.jpg

http://www.vpx.pl/up/20080824/mlsp_a0370.jpg

http://www.vpx.pl/up/20080824/mlsp_a0371.jpg

Sorry for bad quality ;D

Details:

Stars: TigerTail (KNO3 44 , C 44 , S 6 + 5 % Al atom. 400 MESH) , 10 mm pumped

Pasting: Pasted

Ignition: Visco Fuse

Burst: H3

Lift: 15.3 g BP

Exp:

http://www.vpx.pl/up/20080819/untitled21.jpg

VIDEO:

OR

http://www.mediafire.com/?aguuxblzotq

Edited by ManiN

First shell!!! ah feels great

3" Plastic Ball Shell

Stars = Reeper silver, 10mm

Burst = Meal on puffed rice

Boost = 10g CuO Thermite

Lift = 25g BP

Feeling when shell works perfectly first time round... priceless =D

Check It!

First shell!!! ah feels great

3" Plastic Ball Shell...

...Boost = 10g CuO Thermite

I've played with plenty of CuO/Al thermite for mines and reactive targets, but that is the first I've ever heard of someone using it for an aerial shell break booster...awesome! I wonder if the high heat of formation of the thermite aids in star ignition?

Well, seeing as I dont have flash I thought I would give it a shot and Im happy with the results. I too thought the heat/slag from thermite would help get everything burning.

thanks!

Woah... That actually is really interesting... I have never heard of using CuO/Al as a booster. Or more likely I have but I've forgot about it over the years... at any rate. Good job with your first shell Joe! It is a great feeling the first time you get something working right. And it only gets better....

For the record with Reeper Silver you don't gotta worry about ignition to badly hahaha... It lights pretty easy... I've never had it not light no matter what I used to break the shell. And sometimes I didn't even bother priming it with anything even a dusting of meal. Though I recomend that for anything...

For some reason your images are either "broken" or VERY slow to load, ManiN.

The first two times I refreshed this page, I got red X's for the pics. On the third try they showed up.

Might I suggest hosting them here as attachments or in a Gallery? That way, if the board is up the pics are guaranteed to be available.

Generally italian and maltese style cylinder shells are top fused. Since the bottom shot is in fact on the bottom, it provides a nice solid platform for the lift charge to push against. Also, generally, there's no particular stiffener in the area of the shell where the stars would be, it's just a few wraps of paper and some string, so something solid to push against is a VERY good thing. Bottom shots generally make up a good portion of the weight as well.

I've seen lampare pistils before, very cool effect. I unfortunately do not have details on their construction. I do know that they used liquid fuel though, and plastic shells. It makes me think there is a leaking hazard so they wanted to fire it soon after manufacture, thus the plastic shells.

I was thinking a normal-ish lampare inside the shell with a very thin spolette in it. Something that would block the flash from escaping, but easily get blown through by the burst. I also considered a flash bag inside the lampare that disperses the fuel, and ignites the normal burst of a shell.

Loosely tied to the lampare theme... Living on a street called Pine Lake Lane, I have ALOT of pines here. They have an annoying habit of dropping gooey sap all over. When this stuff sits over the summer it dries to a hard solid. I grabbed a hunk <Always on the lookout for a nice complex hyrdocarbon> and ground it up. As a fuel, with a mix of 25-75 perc, it burns like crazy with alot of flame and black smoke, of course. I wonder about a solid lampare shell... any ideas/opinions?

Edited by Richtee

I don't have experience with gilsonite, but I'm 100% sure it's usefull for many types of fireballs including solid lampare's.

On passfire it's commonly discussed.

I don't have experience with gilsonite, but I'm 100% sure it's usefull for many types of fireballs including solid lampare's.

On passfire it's commonly discussed.

Huh no kiddin'. That is what "gilsonite" is? Who knew??

Relating to that post that Richtee quoted, I found out how to make the lampare pistil. It's a pistil only in the sense of appearance. Only plastic shells are used. It's a 6" plastic shell with a 4" plastic shell inside of it. The 4" shell is usually pretty hard broken, flash usually. A passfire tube is sealed off to connect the time fuse to the internals of the shell. It is assembled with the interior between the 6 and 4" shell empty. A hole is drilled in where the leader ring usually goes. An RC plane type of fuel pump is used to fill it up with gasoline, or fuel of choice, and sealed off with Hot glue. The stars extend far beyond the fireball, so you get a lampare pistil.

No reason you couldn't use a solid fuel I suppose though.

Richtee,

Gilsonite and pine sap are two different things, if that's what you were asking, I'd say try it (the sap) and see if it works, it will probably need to be ground nice and fine though.

xetap,

Do you mean gilsonite is everywhere? or sap?

Nice, Was that your first shell ever or first 5 or what? I noticed your fairly new and am just wondering

Relating to that post that Richtee quoted, I found out how to make the lampare pistil. It's a pistil only in the sense of appearance. Only plastic shells are used. It's a 6" plastic shell with a 4" plastic shell inside of it. The 4" shell is usually pretty hard broken, flash usually. A passfire tube is sealed off to connect the time fuse to the internals of the shell. It is assembled with the interior between the 6 and 4" shell empty. A hole is drilled in where the leader ring usually goes. An RC plane type of fuel pump is used to fill it up with gasoline, or fuel of choice, and sealed off with Hot glue. The stars extend far beyond the fireball, so you get a lampare pistil.

No reason you couldn't use a solid fuel I suppose though.

Very cool, I've always wondered how that was done. How are the inner surface of the 6" and outer surface of the 4" protected from the solvent? Is there a bag or bladder that is used?

I always wondered that too. He didn't mention anything about any special preparation besides gluing the hemis shut with DCM. I think it's one of those things where you make it and shoot it in a short period of time. I have seen ones that didn't work because the fuel leaked into the burst. I'd imagine a polyethylene bag over the innards would do the trick. But yeah, I'd be worried about the shell getting soft and flower potting on lift. I dunno how he does it really. I will see him saturday, I'll try to remember to ask again.