APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Yeah, but arn't they still same in size, even if labeled and measured differently? I meant that shells from China for example all come in standard sizes 3", 4" and so on.

yes they are the same size just in different mesurements, i put this in my post above. 3inch = 75mm, 4inch = 100mm 5inch = 125mm and 6inch = 150mm. So to clear it up a 3" shell is the same as a 75mm shell just measured using 2 different systems, both are the same size and fired from the same size mortar.

its just different countries use different weight systems.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, they're the same athough, as Mumbles pointed out, Japan may use shells of a size not used elsewhere. There's no reason you couldn't get a mortar sized to fit the oddballs, though. It all depends on how resourceful you are, and whether HDPE/Steel/Fiberglass pipe manufacturers make one of the correct size. We generally jump 2 inches at a time above 4-inch shells, but I've seen 5-inch hemis. And I'm pretty sure you can get them in 7 and 9 inch as well.

We regularly shoot 5" shells here, but I've never seen 7" or 9" though... All the shows I've worked on shoot 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and sometimes 8, 10 and 12 (max size allowed in canada).

5" is my favorite shell size. I've rarely seen 7", and never a 9". I've seen the disks for the 9" shells, but never an actual shell, or mortar.

5" is my favorite shell size. I've rarely seen 7", and never a 9". I've seen the disks for the 9" shells, but never an actual shell, or mortar.

We have a display comming up, which was prepared today at the company I work for. I was delighted to pick up some 10"'s and 12"'s from storage. A new shipment of shells had just come in few weeks earlier from China and there was some sweet stuff included.

Yeah KP really rocks, doesn't it?! You can also use a dust of slowflash on it, just a matter of taste of course.

How many layers did you paste the shell?

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

Yeah KP really rocks, doesn't it?! You can also use a dust of slowflash on it, just a matter of taste of course.

How many layers did you paste the shell?

I pasted with 10 layers of 40g/m2 gummed tape.

I pasted with 10 layers of 40g/m2 gummed tape.

I would recommend more layers, I've done some good KP shells to with such less layers, but it would even be better with more layers.

Nevertheless a very nice shell.

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

I've never seen Win 20 but I'm about to go make some. I made some Red last night. Hand rolled them, what a bitch to do.

Very nice, although a bit short effect, but non the less...

If only I could get my hands on a 4" mortar... Although I do think that I found a place.

Oskar, I'm getting mine from George from PyroTubes.

Yeah, thanks but as you know I'm in France so I would prefer not to pay the killer shipping price for some plastic tubes :D . But I think I found a place here.

Be careful with extra pasting. You can most definately over paste shells made with KP. I think that generally comes after switching over from straight BP. I've heard several accounts of people not liking KP because it turns their shells into salutes too easily. I've never had that problem, but something to keep in mind. 10 layers of gummed tape is exactly what I use on my 4" shells as well.

Last night I made a 4in Double Pedal with the inner 2in. The inner is Red and the outer is TT. I pasted the inner and the outer was plastic. The outer shell's bursts in around the inners shell. Its just a test but I hope it works.

Was the H3 lift granulated or was it loose powder? I've never used H3 before...but I'm guessing it will work best for lift in a granulated form (as with BP; trying to use loose Black powder would yield a similar effect). Other than the low altitude it was a beautiful shell! Edited by flying fish

It'd probably be better to let him answer for himself rather than post whore and make unfounded speculations.

I agree with Mumbles I was arguing with some people a while back about glitter that was D1 that I thought was Iron or Ti b/c of the color.

It helps with the confusion part.

It was a very nice shell.