APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I agree. What may seem to be locked in know, won't stay that way. The purpose of the tapping is to pre-settle the stars and the burst. By doing so, they are essentially locked in place. When I shake my shells the only sound you hear are granules that came loose from the burst trickling around. Even if you're super careful to not dislodge it, unless you light it and gently toss it off a cliff, the lift may dislodge some stars and such.

Not that there is really anything to worry about, it's a plastic shell. I wouldn't expect great symmetry even if a master Japanese builder made the shell.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that there is really anything to worry about, it's a plastic shell. I wouldn't expect great symmetry even if a master Japanese builder made the shell.

Hmm - what's the deal with plastic Vs. paper's symmetry?

Well a few posts ago i showed you the early stages of a 4" double petal that was in the works, ive got the shell together now so all that's left to do is paste it, add lift and the leader. I'm a bit concerned however as i loaded some of the stars before they were completely dry and i did notice when closing the shell using a dowel to tap the stars into place that some were starting to crumble, i'm hoping that only a few of the stars around trhe edge have been crushed, Theres not a great deal of powder rattling around when i shake the shell so this is atleast a good sign of this.

Here are some pics of the final construction stages.

The inner hemi sitting on the outer burst.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3593/img0034qs4.jpg

The inner hemi filled with stars.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8189/img0036cl0.jpg

All closed up ready to be put together.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/20/img0035fp7.jpg

Should have the shell finished by the end of the weekend. not sure when ill be able to fire it as of yet though. I'll keep you updated ;)

...Not that there is really anything to worry about, it's a plastic shell. I wouldn't expect great symmetry even if a master Japanese builder made the shell.

I think that a good effort toward symmetry can be made with plastic shells:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/6inC6toYellow1.jpg

Video: 6in plastic C6 to Yellow

They definitely require care in assembly and attention to pasting, but nice plastic shells can occasionally happen ;)

Here is a 4" plastic shell I made, probably the best break with one. They were even 1/2 pumped stars.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/psyco_1322/LES.jpg

Any reason I get a 403 error on the apc upload site?

Edited by psyco_1322

I think that a good effort toward symmetry can be made with plastic shells:

OK... I'm no longer concerned. WOW! Beauty eh?

Any reason I get a 403 error on the apc upload site?

The old "APC Upload Site" is no more. This was detailed in that long post I made about the future of APC. Existing files are linked to existing posts, but that's all.

(BTW, you should have seen a different page. I've fixed that 403 error so you should now see it.)

All new pics, videos, etc are to be submitted as direct post attachments, Gallery entries, or as Downloads, if you wish to submit them here (and I encourage everyone to do so).

You're free to host them elsewhere and post the link in a post, of course, but you're at the mercy of the 'Net when you do that. If APC is online, our files will be too.

(And as an aside, I'm personally beginning to despise most of the media hosting sites because they put glaring advertisements, or worse, on every page. One site I visited recently had a goddamn chime going off every 5 seconds to remind me to click their SPAM advertisement that I had won a "free" something-or-other. I wish I would have had a magic wand to wave and make that ad get shoved up someone's ass.)

The old "APC Upload Site" is no more. This was detailed in that long post I made about the future of APC. Existing files are linked to existing posts, but that's all.

(BTW, you should have seen a different page. I've fixed that 403 error so you should now see it.)

All new pics, videos, etc are to be submitted as direct post attachments, Gallery entries, or as Downloads, if you wish to submit them here (and I encourage everyone to do so).

You're free to host them elsewhere and post the link in a post, of course, but you're at the mercy of the 'Net when you do that. If APC is online, our files will be too.

(And as an aside, I'm personally beginning to despise most of the media hosting sites because they put glaring advertisements, or worse, on every page. One site I visited recently had a goddamn chime going off every 5 seconds to remind me to click their SPAM advertisement that I had won a "free" something-or-other. I wish I would have had a magic wand to wave and make that ad get shoved up someone's ass.)

Ok, Im seeing it now. I forgot we have our own little galleries. Thanks.

This seemed like the best place for this; Has anyone here tried powdered sugar as a fuel for fireballs? I have a two inch golf ball shell of sugar and burst that I am firing tonight. I know that it burns well enough when it is airborne, but I am curious to see what it looks like in a shell.

There's a good thread about cremora fireballs elsewhere on the forum, I read it earlier. I don't know about the charcoal, that stuff is pretty hard to ignite when airborne. Someone else on here (nighthawkinlight I think) did some stuff with charcoal dust and had to mill in KNO3 to even get an ignition. If it was REALLY fine stuff it might work, but there are probably better options. Unless you want sparks in the air after the fireball, which would be interesting.

Well the cremora fireball is only half the effect, if youve seen them in person and up close you'd know hwat im talking about. There is always a rolling cloud of golden embers that keeps going after the fireball, but burns up shorty. Charcoal will work just fine. Charcoal is pretty amazing stuff when you add a bit of air. Just try it and see. I did try powdered sugar with bad results but thats just me, I cant ever seem to get my cremoras to work right. Ive had a few smaller ones work ok but I dont think my bp is suitable for cremoras.

It's not just you, I fired the sugar shell a few minutes ago and the result was rather disappointing. A small pop and a cloud of sugar floating off into the air, no flame to speak of. Tomorrow I might try one with lighter fluid.

Well your talking a shell with a few grams of sugar, Im talking a pound of sugar in a can. The can said results may very.

Powdered charcoal has worked for me in fireballs before... I actually used Coal one time to, kinda neat but a pain because coal is so hard it didn't want to powder.

Has anyone tried corn starch/flour in cremoras, it works better than icing sugar for fire breathing so I would say the same for cremoras.

how about a milled perch. and coffee creamer cremora?

KIDDING! :P

I would really like to see a video of an aerial shell with coffee creamer filler

I've made them, not very impressive. Very small fireball. Way too small for the distance they are away.

Has anyone played with ground shells like the ones they do in Japan? They look dangerous but totally awesome.

I'm also thinking about making a double pedal and they still seem kind of confusing? Do you poke holes in the inner shell? Do have to chemical weld the inner shell as well? Is the inner fuse suppose to go into the inner shell to ignite the inner shells burst charge?

Never intentionally made a ground shell. A few with a bad batch of lift though that functioned as them though.

Yes, there should be numerous holes in the inner petal. From your question about chemically welding the inner petal I'll assume you're using plastic. You will likely have to use a drill as well to create the holes. No, you don't need to glue it, but it might help the inner petal symmetry. A lot of people who use paper spike the inner petal. No that is not an error. Spiking as in wrapping with string for reinforcement. Yes, the fuse should go to the center of the inner petal.

Sorry one more question. Could you do a 3in in a 4in or should I do a 2in in a 4in? I just need appropriate sizes.

Generally double petal shells are built bigger, 5 or 6" minimum, but I've seen examples of sizes of this nature. I'd stick with 2" inside a 4". 3" inside a 4" wouldn't leave much room for outer burst.

Mormanman. I will try double petal shell in this winter(purple outer, green inner). Size 5" is optimal for begining with double petal shells, not small not bigg! (inner shell 2,7")

In the shimizu book are desribed 2 type of technique for filling shell. No inner shell with holes. I will try method with paper sleeves. : http://japan-fireworks.com/gallery/yoeshin/makingreport.html

http://www.skylighter.com/images/Westtechill1.jpg

For biggest shells is better burst on more coarse core, than rice hulls. In my counry is ideal puffed rice.

Karlos.

Man thats confusing. Let me try is with a 4 and a 2 and if it doesn't work then no one knows but me. Its like a little test just for fun.