APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Well now, THAT'S something I've never seen or heard of. Good idea!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow...innovative. Speaking as someone who likes instant gratification (Resorcinol bound 4" comets can be shot the next day :D )

The $15 dollar question is: How many shells do you get from a can of adhesive? Say 6in shells?

I have been using the standard paper, but sprayed with contact adhesive. The 3M 77 is good, but $15+ a can. 3M also makes a "corner bead" spray adhesive for drywall work... 1/3 the price and equal to the task at hand.

I cut strips of paper the appropriate width, lay them out close together and dust them with the spray.

Then I take the plastic hemi, mask off the fuse and dust it. Wrap... till covered. Compress tight with palm pressure. Another coat of the spray on the shell...etc....repeat. NO drying time to speak of. I can go from nekkid hemi to launch in 15 min.

Works VERY well IMHO.

Wow...innovative. Speaking as someone who likes instant gratification (Resorcinol bound 4" comets can be shot the next day :D )

The $15 dollar question is: How many shells do you get from a can of adhesive? Say 6in shells?

Never made a 6" sigh... still growing up here so to speak. BUT..the adhesive I was touting is 6 bux a can. And..Hmm..I bet I'll get 20-30 shells outta it.

Look in the drywall area at yer Home Despot heh... plus..it's colored pink unlike the 77 which is clear. Ya can see if ya get an even coat with the cheaper stuff.

On edit: PHEW got in under the edit time limit grin..

I speak of 3" shells...

Edited by Richtee

Wow...innovative. Speaking as someone who likes instant gratification

If you'd like I could do a short photo presentation on the method, but it's pretty much like any other pasting op. Just using a spray can instead.

I have also tried dipping the finished shell in water based acrylic for added strength. This seems to work, but of course, it adds a drying time. With a well glued hemi and just the spray/paper combo, I have not felt any real need for more strength... but I'm far for an old had at shell building. The couple I have posted broke pretty well as far as I know. Symmetry be damned anyway LOL.

Edited by Richtee

Hey, if you're feeling ambitious (:D) upload the pics to a Gallery, grab their hotlinks, and make a Tutorial post with the links embedded in it.

I have tryed pasting in some experimental bottle lampares with spray adhesive. It works ok, doesnt really give the solid piece of paper strength that glue would. I have used it several times to roll instant tubes for things. Say I need a coupling tube for rockets or a short piece to assist attaching a header. I just cut a piece of cardstock and give it a few sprays and roll around the tube. I made some 1/2" x 5" rocket tubes with card stock and spray, not the strongest but they hold up to easy going nozzle less rockets, sometimes coreburners. They almost need a sleeve cause the vertical structural integrity is just not there and they sometimes try to smash down onto themselves and buckle and bend.

I have tryed pasting in some experimental bottle lampares with spray adhesive. It works ok, doesnt really give the solid piece of paper strength that glue would.

Probably not. But I use it with "well glued plastic hemis", I don't try to make a casing out of it.

Well after watching the 4" double petal FREAKYDUTCHMEN posted a while back and also the Brocade Horse Tail can shell Zmuro posted, i wanted to try both, so what i've started to assemble is a 4" double petal with the brocade hourse tail as the outer petal and ruby red as the iner petal. So far ive got the stars pumped and rolled so as soon as they are dry ill get this baby put together.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5060/img0028tk2.jpg

Ruby Red inner petal stars.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5201/img0029mb1.jpg

Brocade Horse Tail outer petal stars.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3012/img0031lg3.jpg

4" outer hemi with a 2 1/2" inner hemi will be used.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3649/img0032dg5.jpg

I'm looking foward to building this shell and even more so as to what the outcome will be, this is my first attempt at a double petal so im not hoping for perfection, at the least im hoping for a nice visible dual petal effect ;) anything more than that will be a bonus.

Ill post the video once its done but this will likely be a week or so away as the stars are drying as i type this.

Looks cool, and thank you for the pictures. They definitely help others learn and visualize, so please post as many as you can enroute to this shell's birth.

Looks cool, and thank you for the pictures. They definitely help others learn and visualize, so please post as many as you can enroute to this shell's birth.

Well I have some pics from a shell I made:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4629.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4630.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4632.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4633.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4635.jpg

Went a little crazy on the whistle mix because I wasn't pasting or wrapping it and there wasn't much room for burst.

Nathor, try to peal some of that 2.5" hemi of, that gives a bit more space in the inner petal, and you'll need that in a 4" dubble petal. The choice of the stars will look great if everything goes like plan.

Crazyboy, why do you have your burst between your stars?

Cause he couldnt find anywhere to put it. And it made him feel better with it in the shell rather than in the bag.

I was wondering if you didnt paste it that did you just shoot it like that picture shows?

Crazyboy, why do you have your burst between your stars?
\

Do you mean the rice hulls or whistle?

I was wondering if you didnt paste it that did you just shoot it like that picture shows?

It hasn't been launched yet but it will be launched as is (except for adding a lift cup and leader.)

Well only a small amount of whistle got between the stars the rice hulls are there because wanted to fill the shell up nice and tight and let fire propagate. Some people use tissue paper to keep them separate but this is only really needed if the starts are chlorate based. The whistle and burst getting between the stars keeps them from moving around and it doesn't really mess up symmetry.

Well if you never had any problems then there's no reason to change the way you build your shells.

It's just a thought, but I think your stars can possibly flow between your burst, giving a less wider break as result. And when using tissue the burst is in the center, so all the energy from the burst pushes the stars outwards.

When do we see the result? :P

Soon hopefully unfortunately I don't really live near a launch site so my friend and I only launch stuff 2-3 times a year.

^Yes thats about correct. The purpose of the tissue paper is to keep you stars from migrating into the burst. The closer the stars are toward the center of the shell the less distance they will be thrown. Stars at the center of the shell will bearly go anywhere. So if have you stars migrate into the shell somewhere you are going to get this really unsemetrical break that looks like half the stars are only half as big becuase they didnt go anywhere. It really does serve a purpose.

Yes psyco I understand the concept but did you consider that your method isn't necessarily the only way and that maybe I do have a little experience in this matter and I can handle this myself? In case you didn't notice there is no place for the stars to migrate as they are tightly packed right up against the inner hemi and there is no room for anything to move around.

Soon hopefully unfortunately I don't really live near a launch site so my friend and I only launch stuff 2-3 times a year.

Well actually it will be only me launching it since you were banned and will never be able to light anything while still living with your parents. Most likely over Thanksgiving the shell will be lauched.

Edited by superman1451

Well actually it will be only me launching it since you were banned and will never be able to light anything while still living with your parents. Most likely over Thanksgiving the shell will be lauched.

I don't see how this contributes anything. Anyone who has read the random thread knows I don't do pyro anymore.

Yes psyco I understand the concept but did you consider that your method isn't necessarily the only way and that maybe I do have a little experience in this matter and I can handle this myself? In case you didn't notice there is no place for the stars to migrate as they are tightly packed right up against the inner hemi and there is no room for anything to move around.

If there isn't any space for the stars to migrate then there wouldn't be a distance between the inner- and outerpetal stars in the air. Peronally I think everything should be constructed very accurate.

But there's only one way to find out who's right ;)

If there isn't any space for the stars to migrate then there wouldn't be a distance between the inner- and outerpetal stars in the air. Peronally I think everything should be constructed very accurate.

But there's only one way to find out who's right ;)

I mean the burst is packed in very tight the stars can't move. I agree with you totally and your attention to detail is evident in your shells, this was just a spur of the moment type thing I threw together and took some pictures.

I don't think it will perform perfectly but it should look nice.

It may appear to be packed tightly but if the shell is handle, moved around, tapped on and such then there will be some further consolidating and the stars will begin to move around. Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything. But if you've every seen big shells built you will notice that they are overfill and when put together they dont come closed. They are often tapped with a wooden stick to pack the material even more so that the shell will close. This is too further prevent star migration by causing the burst to be packed in as much as possible. They still use tissue though, it also keeps those little wedge shaped rice hulls from getting behind stars and pushing them around.