APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

You will use that as a inner petal? I'll be amazed if it works.

I would go for plastic 4 or 5" hemi with holes drilled in it, then put a plastic bag with the fuel in the inner petal/hemi. For the outer petal I would use a 8 or 10 inch hemi with stars and strong burst like KP or BP with flash dusted on it. Perhaps some titanium for the ignition of the fuel. Just let the timefuse ignite the burstcharge.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I made a toilet roll shell today. http://youtube.com/watch?v=pg36t1zOUAI

The main problem I have is, I have no clue on how to paste Cannister shells.

Do I Just get a long piece of Kraft Paper and roll it over the shell and then fold the excess paper over the sides? (I dont know how to explain it better).

Well what I do is wrap about 4-5 turns of printing paper then spike it then a few more layers of paper, I think your problem was the end plugs werent strong enough, cut a disc of cardboard and place it in the end, then cut tabs about 1-2cm long and fold them over the disc, use a lot of hot glue and press it all down. do this with all layers of paper you wrap around the shell.

As it looks to me only 1 endplug failed and the contents were just shot out of that hole. You can see the destinctive V shape instead of the "bowtie" kinda shape. As fredbert said try to make your endplugs stronger.

Maybe if it's possible try to find the remains. If only 1 of the endplugs failed you should be able to find the remains. Also take great note of Fredberts way and do another layer (preferably layers) around the spiking since otherwise the spiking could get burned by the lift itself.

Do I Just get a long piece of Kraft Paper and roll it over the shell and then fold the excess paper over the sides? (I dont know how to explain it better).

You cut a long strip of craft that is wide enough so it overlaps by half on each side and is sufficiently long to go around the shells so many times as is the nominal diameter of the shell.

So for example a 3 canister shell 2.5" ID and 3" high will need a strip that is 5.5-6" wide and ~26" long, this goes for 70# craft, lighter version may need a turn or two more but I regularly use 50# on 3" with 3 turns and have had no problems.

You paste the whole sheet of craft with wheat paste and crumble it up into a ball so the fibres break apart, this allows for a nicer finish as the craft becomes more pliable and easier to pleat down. Smooth out the craft and roll it up on the shell, tear up the overlapping paper and fold it down. This is basicly it.

cut a disc of cardboard and place it in the end, then cut tabs about 1-2cm long and fold them over the disc, use a lot of hot glue and press it all down.

Yes, I did that. In your Aerial shell submission it looks like after folding the tabs over the end disc, you put another cardboard disc over the top for more reinforcement. I may try that tonight, because I fail to see how one end disc is storng enough for it to hold.

I shot the shell with some TT stars and Reepers Silver because I was out of TT. The end plugs didnt blow out because I glued another cardboard disc on top of the tabs. I also glued about 5 turns or so of thin craft paper (I dont know what weight). I spiked the shell after pasting it, but I didnt paste over the spiking.

Heres the video:

Let me know what you think.

I spiked the shell after pasting it, but I didnt paste over the spiking.

In my experiences, the spiking just gets crisped by the lift charge gasses and is of no use after that. Paste a couple layers over the spiking to protect it- I think that will improve your results.

I would like some input from you guys real quick. I will be making some farfalle for a 4" farfall can. The farfalles will be 1/2" ID. I would like to use a meal 'n' metal type formula with very thick white tails.

I have atomized al, bright flake, and 200-325 mesh magnalium in my inventory. Anybody have any suggestions as to ratios? I was thinking something similar to reeper silver but using two different types of al like

meal- 90

bright flake- 5

atomized al- 5

Any suggestions are welcome.

I would stick with just atomized Al. The bright flake will probably do nothing toward giving a good tail. Titanium is obviously ideal for this situation, but you might be able to make due with the Al. Some testers will be helpful. Burning them on the ground, and you will definitely see why they are called farfalle (italian for butterfly).

Now, onto the TP tube shells. I agree with most everything that has been said. The second attempt looks much better by the way. All of my canister shells have 4 end disks. There are the two on the inside that get the tabs folded over and glued to them, then there are additional end disks over the tabs. From here I spike them. I would think 12 verticals and enough horizontals to make roughly squares should be good. The still picture in the first video made it look like you have the spiking down. Then over the spiking I paste additional wraps, as PGF has said. With smaller shells, the turns per nominal inch thing kind of breaks down. I would never use anything less than 2. A third turn can be used if you want to get a bit of a harder break. Something on the order of 30# kraft would be ideal. This will be the material that paper lunch bags are made from.

I have a couple other ideas, but see if the 4 disks, and pasting over the spiking works first. Things like filling the shell harder, using less horizontal spikes, different burst filling, etc can be used to dial them in.

PGF -

Do you think you could put one of them vids on the apc file host?

Look for ''Swedish Pyro'' on pyrobin. I think I found his video on page 3 or so.... titled : some_home_made_pyro_8

He has a 3" double petal on there! Great Shells!

I've been wanting to make a pedal but have no idea how to. I figured that its just a shell in a shell and one breaks after the other.

I would be very greatful for some more information on them. I'm going to google right now and pyrobin to see the video.

PGF, I could only see the first one (computer something) but it was nice and can only think about what the other ones look like.

^ Now thats a lot more constructive post that will get you somewhere.

Pyrobin would be a good place to try and find some pics of double petals in the making. If you got yourself a

Passfire membership it would answer a lot of your question. Especially concerning shell building.

A 24" DP from pyrobin:

http://pyrobin.com/files/building%2024%20inch%20shell.jpg

Another pic but with shells as the outer petal:

http://pyrobin.com/files/8in_sos_w_d1_d1_d1.jpg

The basic concept is that you would fill a hemi with your stars and normal, then add a bit or oyur burst on top of the in the bottom only. You would then seat a smaller perforated hemi on the burst and fill in around it. The smaller hemi would be loaded with stars and filled with burst as if it was a normal shell. This is done to both sides, making sure there is a direct passfire to the center of the shell. Hemis and joined and pasted. Usually a faster tha normal burst is used due to smaller area inside the shell.

PGF those where so nice breaks on the 4s. I made me up about 4 random 4" shells for the 4th. Hope they turn out nice. A kelidoscope, and a ring and bow tie are a the ones Im wanting to see work.

Lol. I wouldnt advise eating that mushroom. That would be the inner petal of the shell. Some people make the inner petal as a shel by itself and put it in there. Im just not sure how the go about filling the voids on the other half. The bumps are their perforation, the just punchedd them in. Its to allow the better passage of fire through the shell.

The bumps are their perforation, the just punchedd them in.  Its to allow the better passage of fire through the shell.

OK...this shell functions by the inner going off first then? I did not know what a "Double Petal" was until recently.

Now..I have built shells... small ones.. I'm sticking to 3" for now... with small multiple reports of fused comets before - this is not considered a "D.P." then?

Thank ye for your indulgence BTW!

Everything goes off at the exact same time in double petal shells. The fire starts in the middle of the inner petal, but they break just like any other single petaled shell.

As for your description of your shell, I have no idea what you're talking about.

As for your description of your shell, I have no idea what you're talking about.

OK... I did not phrase it right. But no, those are not a double petal then.

What I built was a shell with 1/2" tubes inside, primed at one end and with some burst at the plugged end. Filled with a star/glitter. Probably closer to the "farfalle" shell.

Thanks for the explanation!

No its more closer to a pill box shell. You have essentailly created reports with colored delays.

Just finished taping up the last of my 6" and 4" shells for a July 5th Bonfire:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/2008-7-5-Shells.jpg

Little 'speriment: six layers of 30lb plain tape vs. 3 layers of 60lb re-enforced tape. We'll see if there is a discernible difference in break / pattern, as all other construction details are the same. They'll be hand fired at random intervals in between commercial cakes and festival mortars, etc...no formal show this year - too much like work!

Tomorrow will see construction of some 3" and 4" mines, and a pile of salutes (crowd favs :D )

Videos ofthe Good, the Bad, and the Ugly will follow. Everybody enjoy their 4th!

No its more closer to a pill box shell. You have essentailly created reports with colored delays.

YEP! Dunno if there's a name for it but that's it.

Thanks for the info, yet again. IS there a name for that? What defines a Pill box?? Again I plead ignorance!