APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Hahaha...

That one made me laugh... though it does seen like common logic... Saran wrap = Saran... no!

I believe they changed it from PVdC to PVC\LDPE years and years ago... It was also Cellophane for a while if I recall correctly.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on guys, it's not called saran wrap here.

I am not thinking it is saran because it is called saran wrap, I say it because it is what is says the material is: PVDC.

I know that it is mostly changed, but the wrap used for microwaves IS saran. At least here. I doubt they'd change to PVC, they changed it in the first place because of the halogen.

Deafaid: I use 9 mm for streamers and 6 mm for colors.

Hahaha...

That one made me laugh... though it does seen like common logic... Saran wrap = Saran... no!

I believe they changed it from PVdC to PVC\LDPE years and years ago... It was also Cellophane for a while if I recall correctly.

Cellophane is made from cellulose (or was anyway), so a different sort of material altogether. the most common "cling wrap" these days is ldpe as it has no chlorine for one. There is some useful info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saran_wrap

Can Saran Wrap used for microwaves (PVCD) be used for saran? I have found it dissolves a little in acetone, it's not much, but I would think I could add this solution to the mixture to dampen it.

Have searched long for saran powder, if anyone have a source within Europe I'd be glad. I hate to swap things not knowing if it perform equally as well.

Good quality Saran does not dissolve completely in Acetone without heating up the mixture, so it actually may be good quality saran.

I've never heard of "Microwave Saran wrap"... I can also assure you that it is not called "Saran wrap" here anymore either... Only the older people still call it that. Most of the products are advertised as "cling wrap" with most of the bigger companies trademarking their name to it, such as "Glad wrap".

Yeah its not only older people but usually thats where you get it from anyway. My mom always used to call it saran wrap so thats what I call it even though it isn't even saran anymore.

Very nice shell, lebanj - great break and really good TT-tails. Could you elaborate a bit on that stars? Mill time, size, type of charcoal and so on?

Size of stars: 20mm

Mill time : ~ 8 hours

Type of charcoal: grill charcoal

Flash core: FP 50/30/20

Ohh wow. That was a nice TT... Did you soak your charcoal for the added fire dust?

Hmmm, well I FINALLY got a bunch of buckets, and all my screens... Today I will rescreen all my veline and hopefully get them cut\pumped with 1 layer of prime...

I'm not sure what others are binding their Veline with, but I think that 25% alcohol mixed 71:213 (Isopropanol:Water) with 40% Acetone works very well, and drys pretty damn fast.

I don't know if this is an incorrect way of binding or not, but I could really care less, it makes rock hard stars with a quick drying time.

Red gum is activated by Acetone and Alcohol, correct?

Dextrin is activated by >%75 water, correct?

PVC is activated by Acetone, DCM, and other solvents, correct?

I know PVC is a poor binder though.

I've been thinking about granulating some Nitrate flash through a 8 mesh screen (1/4" hardware cloth). Binding with 5% Dextrin or 1% Red gum should work fine? Or do you have any other suggestions.

I feel like a noob asking all these questions, but I'm pretty tired now, and I'd rather not ruin my stars.

Well acetone will work for your red gum (as will alcohol), it'll work with parlon and saran but not PVC. It doesnt desovle PVC very well, it turns it into rubbery putty if anything. I wouldnt even consider PVC as a binder. Dextrin-water, right, even 50% will work.

Hmm. I thought so too, but if I recall correctly, Mumbles said something about >30% lowering the bind strength substantially.

Might be. Most of the time when rolling high charcoal content stars people use 50/50 water/alcohol so they do not turn into raspberries.

Hi, im going to attempt to make a 6" peony with a lampare pistil.

My question is it possible? Has anyone seen it done?

I was thinking of using a double petal set-up with the inner petal using naphthalene as the lampare effect.

Any thoughts on this method?

Sam

I would advise you to definitly use 50:50 water alcohol for your charcoals streams. I always use this solvent for my Chrysanthemum 8 stars and it works perfectly and they drie out very strong.

Sambo I would say that if you could get a naphthalene fireball to work in a container small enough to get in the inner part of a 6" it would work fine. Just treat it as a shell of shells shell < lol

I've seen lampare pistils before, very cool effect. I unfortunately do not have details on their construction. I do know that they used liquid fuel though, and plastic shells. It makes me think there is a leaking hazard so they wanted to fire it soon after manufacture, thus the plastic shells.

I was thinking a normal-ish lampare inside the shell with a very thin spolette in it. Something that would block the flash from escaping, but easily get blown through by the burst. I also considered a flash bag inside the lampare that disperses the fuel, and ignites the normal burst of a shell.

I was thinking about this the other night, possibly with the assistance of a few beverages. Every fireball effect I know of needs a blowing charge in the center. Just putting a baggie of gas in the middle may result in some raining fire, or a weak effect. Might want to experiment with dairy creamer first to get the technique down.

I do like Frank's idea though. I was thinking a sealed baggy of flash inside the sealed baggy of fuel. It'd all burn through more or less instantly, and would perhaps have enough power to spray the fuel around. The other thing I came up with was have a small flash charge in the center, and either place the fuel bag on top of it, or fold the baggy of gas around it like a hamburger.

On a somewhat related topic. I think a ring a bow tie shell with fireball bow tie might be kind of cool. Probably wouldn't get much spread though. Without getting into too many details, perhaps a dirty, jellied gasoline mixture could do.

Also, make sure to double or triple seal these bags to ensure no leaking.

I would share some lampare bottle shell details if someone was to propose to me a sealant Icould use besides hot glue that was not partially soluble in deisel and camping fuel.

Superglue? I don't know about it's solubilitys but you could always give it a go.

I need it to be a fire blocking type of glue, for around fuse wholes and such.

use an epoxy of some sort, they shouldent dissolve in the deisel, and they dont burn at all.

I glued a gas-tank back together with Epoxy, and it has held up for quite a long time with Gasoline in it.

I believe it was the 5-minute Loctite epoxy, though the Marine type would probably be better.

I suppose this shows that Loctite epoxy isn't soluble, or is barely soluble in Benzene, Toluene, Naphthalene, etc.

I think the Bag of gas wrapped around the flash bag would create the most symmetrical break of thrown gas... Though a waterproof flash-bag suspended in gelled diesel\kerosene seems to work great also.

Ok, thanks for that info. As promised. The flash is put into a vinyl tube that is run up through the cap and the fused about it. The tube end is melted and smashed shut. This pic I used hotglue but I recommend melting it. The bottle should be covered with making tape to protect from direct fire exposure and possible fuse melt through if leadered. If you have any other questions just shoot.

post-4-1214791291_thumb.jpg