APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Very nice shells, too bad the flashcores didn't ignite all together at the same time.

Here is a 4" of mine from last night:

http://pyrobin.com/files/movie0001.avi

It was TT with 10% Ti in it with purple cores.

I've filmed 5 meters from the mortar and didn't get the whole effect on tape, the camera wasn't zomed in. The purple was too bright so it looks more white than purple. It was the same purple as the farfalle (a couple pages back)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy crap, amazing shell Dutch, perfect simetry and big break.

Fucking hell, nice shell! What did you use for the break charge?

And how many mm were the stars ?

And i thought you had Ti turnings, how did you mix this with you TT comp and rolled is over the purple?

ps. Put it on pyro-stuff ;)

I loved your shells lebanj... Nice TT and Better Pearl

And Dutch, wow that shell seemed big... Nice sparks on those stars.

ps. Put it on pyro-stuff ;)

Done ;)

thank you guys for the compliments :)

I've used 100/250 mesh titanium.

Wow dutch, if i didn't know otherwise, i would have thought that shell was a comercial one. What break did you use?

Kp burst, and I used 35 grams of good willow lift powder. It went up about 110/120 meters.

The effect maybe looks to wide but in real just perfect.

Very impressive dutch. How long have you been building shells? You seemed to just show up here not too long ago and launching beautiful farfalle. You're very good.

Thank you ULTRABUF, I'm building shells since November last year, so not that long.

I've seen a video taken 2km from it, and it looked very impressive, the purple that my camera didn't picked up that well was very good on the other video.

When I have the video on my computer I will upload it on pyrobin.

7 months total, and that good already? Wow! Keep it up, and get to the PGI sometime. I smell a Grandmaster in the making.....

p.s. To hell with pyro-anything, put the video HERE. :D

Very nice shell Dutch. I must ask: paper or plastic? If you could tune in some other devices like you have your shells than APC may have its first Grandmaster, assuming we havent had one before.

I'd say it's rather doubtful we have any grandmasters in our presence. Maybe though, we had some very impressive members join when I was approving all the members. I think transportation issues could arise for freakydutchman though. That transatlantic hazmat travel is a bitch.

Oh crap, I forgot completely he was over in dutchland.

Kp burst, and I used 35 grams of good willow lift powder. It went up about 110/120 meters.

The effect maybe looks to wide but in real just perfect.

newbie question here, what is kp?

KP is a break powder that is used in medium sized shells. It is like black powder but made with KClO4 instead of KNO3 in a ratio of KClO4 - 70, Charcoal - 18, Sulfur - 12 and bound with your choice. It burns considerably faster than bp when confined, the pressure increased make it speed up resulting in more power to break the shell. It can be a bit more expensive the bp burst do to how much is used per carrier.

Nice shell fredbert. I might add that if your break was balsa, then you made it, then it is not considered to be fffg(sporting), but rather the corisponding size in a(blasting) grade. For example it would be labeled like 3fa or fffa. Of coarse the 3fg and 3fa is not the same particle size.

I am very surprised how well my first 2" can shell worked out. it has a pretty symmetrical break too. http://www.apcforum.net/files/2inchshell.wmv

That can shell looked great... Though it looks a lot more like 26 stars, not 6.... Typo?

A symmetrical break with a can shell seems harder at first, so that was a nice shell...

3Fg = 5FA

I need to grab another screen... It's taking me a half-hour to screen 100 grams of star comp... That is terrible when you're making 100 grams of nearly every color in the Veline system... Minus the Orange and Orange Variants as I will not receive my CaCO3 until next week.

Got the Red and Superprime mixed... Now for the Blue and Green. Then Purple, etc... I think I'm going to go down to the hardware store and just grab some window screen.... Also just put in an order at McMaster for 200 mesh, 100, 80, 60, 30, etc... Nice to have a Tractor Supply store near me that sells 5 gallon buckets for $3... Though I get them for free anyway.

Umm I think he ment that they were crysanthemum 6 stars, just one of the kinds of crysanthemum stars.

I would love to see how them veline colors come out. Ive made the orange and was pretty inpressed with it. I thought about making the purple as part of my purple testing but I dont think I want to make two other comps and mix them. I might try it if I end up making two of them and having some extra to play with. Not sure what your screen through but if you have a nice kitchen screen, it makes fast work of comps. I have one that is 32mesh, sounds coarse but I dont think anything that passed through it will cause a problem. How much you paying for that 200mesh screen?

It looks like the bottom half of that shell is missing in the far-away video....

I've been using a 3" wide metal wire mesh screen.... It's terrible... It's just a small metal ring with a curved metal screen attached...

I ordered the 12" by 12" SS screens from McMaster-Carr...

$6.34 for the 200 mesh screens

$5.23 for the 100 mesh screens

$5.37 for the 80 mesh screens

$5.10 for the 60 mesh screens

$3.91 for the 30 mesh screens

It looks like the bottom half of that shell is missing in the far-away video....

Must be a tree in the field of view or something. I'm impressed at your neat shell building skills Dutch, considering you started just last year.

Dont think this deserves a new thread and it is Aerial shell related so yeah...

I got bored.

So I made a shell :D I mainly stick to rockets for my to satisfy my pyro needs and also the few odd BP salutes. But last night I made a mini cylindrical aerial shell. It had a 1" OD and was 1.5" long. Yes I know its tiny, and it was my first shell too! and whats great for me is it worked perfect!

Its core was some BP granulate (charcoal used was the same as I mentoned in the BP thread) and the "stars" were some rocket igniton powder I made (its my fast meal tamed down with fineish charcol - burns like fire dust). So around the core I put my fire dust powder (no stars :huh: ) It was all sealed up and the "timedelay" was a tiny paper tube (1.5mm ID x 8mm long) that was filled and compacted with my meal powder. Under the shell went a little lift bag and quick match which then went to some black match! Pretty much the same as any cylindrical shell - just TINY!

So this morning I lauched it ^_^ I know it was a waste doing it at day but I couldnt wait lol. Anyway, once lit the shell lofted into the air with a nice bang. It reached a low (deliberate) height of approx 8 - 10 meters and just as a fluke I made the time delay perfect. At apogee the shell burst with a nice pop spraying fire dust in the area of around 1 cubic meter! The burst was surprisingly spherical for a cylindrical shell. What a waste! A pefect shell was used at day (well I was expecting it to fail but...)

So now I can finaly see why all the people on this forum are into "proper" pyrotechnics :P Its so rewarding laucnhing your own shells! Some time later I'll try to get a video of one made with "Proper" stars.

Ah and the reason for the tiny shell size is to be "suburban backyard" friendly <_< Oh well the neighbours dogs didnt even bark when my shell went up so thats good!

Oh yeah the lift was my meal granulated, burst was lift powder (hehe its fast enough for everything B) ) and "stars" were meal with added charcoal. Whats the main problem now is that where I live you cant get anything for coloured stars - Im stuck to BP/charcoal stars :mellow: !

^lol.

Mark you could use some more granular charcoal with a slower burning base and get some willows. Then if you must do some hand filling and get some metal to put in them. Not sure but you could experiment with somee orange KNO3 based stars. Im sure there is some sort of calcium carbonate around. Use filed PVC pipe, it'll add chlorine and it already has calcium carbonate in it so it'll just add to color. Some binders can be used to replace the red gum. Idk, when things are hard you just have to find ways around them.