APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Two opposite holes like this?

|*---------|

|---------*|

pretty lame painting but i hope you will understand :D .

Or like That-

post-4-1213095979_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AgwA, try reading that link that bluesquib posted. The last post by mike swisher lays it about as clearly as possible. It should be very clear after reading.

Ok, right guy's thanks, I was thinking of that, but somehow I allways wanted to make it like a z-bomb. I think I'll give this a try, but maybe not just yet.

goin to try those shootin one of them from a 6" tube.

BP + 10% Atomized Al...

I've made a few farfalle's in the past. I made them just like freakydutchman, except the hole was drilled near one end of the tube. This allowed for the use of a shorter tube, and to use 2 rows of farfalle instead of one. The comp was a bit hot, and some of the tubes were cocked and wrinked, so a few popped on ignition. It kind of ruined the pattern, but it was still very nice, and I got many compliments.

I am worried that atomised Al will be too fine and reactive for this purpose, assuming 325 mesh. A larger grade would be much better suited if available. I personally used titanium. Coarse charcoal may also be an option for cost effective testing.

Just shot my first 4'' shells 1st shell TT 330g 25g lift 3 sec. delay perfect . 2nd shell zinc stars red ring primer core near perfect no prime on red so not all lit but very nice break 400g 27g pressed lift 10- 12 mesh BP. coated puffed rice. I have a couple questions is it OK to prime perchlorate stars with BP. some say yes some say no I mean people just dump a couple g of flash right in with BP burst I'm confused . Also I need to purchase some barium nitrate for green stars no one seems to ship it any help would be appreciated or green Comps. with an alternative to BN.

thanks in advance

Perchlorate stars are usually fine to prime with BP. The exception would be if was relatively impure and contaminated with chlorate. This is more of a problem with a DIY perchlorate cell but if you are purchasing perchlorate then don't worry about it.

Check the comp thread and you will find alternatives to barium nitrate green. The downside is that nitrate for the most part produces the best green and the more user friendly carbonate produces an inferior color.

If barium nitrate is now not able to be shipped then perhaps we should try and improve on b-carbonate greens even more. Zinc helps make a green flame, as seen in Akwapo green, might a formula including zinc and barium carbonate be worth trying? If so someone else will have to test it out, I'm fresh out of zinc.

The original radiant green is a bit more green but it seems to be a bit harder to light also with a slower burn rate. It could use some strong priming. I have a comp laying around somewhere that is supposed of being a good green thats not nitrate based but havent go around to trying it yet.

But yes a improvement on the carbonate greens would be worth trying, I would be willing to test if anyone had some probable formuli.

As a composition, perc based colors are safe enough to prime with BP. It's more a factor if they will light. I prime all my colors with a hot prime followed by a green meal prime. It's not saying that it is needed for all comps. but I have yet to have any poor ignition.

@Ultrabuf:

Whoops!

I did some checking and a blanket statement I made was partially wrong.

Skylighter won't ship Barium Nitrate/Chlorate.

But Firefox WILL ship Barium Nitrate. Only one pound per year per person, with an extra hazmat charge and special packaging. No idea how much that will jack up the price, but I suspect it will be a lot.

They also ship Barium Chlorate, same restriction EXCEPT no weight limit per year.

That flies in the face of logic, if you ask me. Barium Chlorate is unlimited, but Barium Nitrate has a one-pound limit per year?!?! God...

Anyway:

http://www.firefox-fx.com

Check again I just copied this off there web site under chemicals am I missing something . Barium Nitrate - Custom Milled - Stock #C120CM *cannot be shipped by mail and are hazardous by UPS

(now restricted to 1lb under the injunction. Please see our home page under the heading 'please read this before ordering')

No, you're not missing anything.

They will ship you one pound per year of Barium Nitrate, via UPS, with hazmat fees that include a special box.

They will ship you MORE than one pound per year of Barium Chlorate via UPS, but it still requires the same hazmat fee and special packaging.

I suspect the final "price per pound" would make most people gag.

Thats cool it can still be shipped then, but I cant order from any of the sites that require you to be 21, that leaves me about 3 places- highqualitychems, phildo's site, and ebay. My dad wont order stuff for me so Im kinda F-ed in the A on a lot of chems.

More pyro chemicals than you think can be made from OTC chemicals. It's quite easy to grab a bunch of chemicals from a pottery store, then work your magic on them and morph them to your likings... A bulk source of KNO3 would be nice though... Even the "cheap" online sources for $3/lb. are a total rip off...

Why don't you order from Jlement?

@ froggy: Yes I know a lot of chems can be made, Ive done a small bit of that, never very good results though. Good example- copper carbonate. I made a couple hundred grams or so I think, never could get the sodium contamination out of it so its pretty useless. I have a small amount of BaNO3 left, if I run out and really need some I'll probably do a double displacement with BaCO3 & NH4NO3, but really I find making my own chems a pain in the ass more than anything. I enjoy doing chemistry and whatnot, but not enough to try making a large amount of usable chemicals unless it becomes a necessity. BTW, what is Jlements, I searched google and found nothing except stuff for software.

No, you're not missing anything.

They will ship you one pound per year of Barium Nitrate, via UPS, with hazmat fees that include a special box.

They will ship you MORE than one pound per year of Barium Chlorate via UPS, but it still requires the same hazmat fee and special packaging.

I suspect the final "price per pound" would make most people gag.

Well, before the CPSC got the 1 lb injunction against Firefox, the Hazmat fees, and UPS shipping would add almost $40 for a 5 lb shipment of Ba(NO3)2 !!! Not to mention it comes with a big flashy sticker with emergency numbers for spill response and poison control centers, etc all over it. Delivery guys have got to love some of the boxes I've gotten over the last few years . :rolleyes:

"Here you go... another HAZMAT delivery" or, "What's with all the ORM-D ?"

Today at work the mail room lady called us all flustered and begged us to come get the packages that were just delivered. Perchloric acid has some interesting labels on the boxes and they freaked her out. I was laughing because I wondered how the mailman felt when he got to carry all these hazardous labeled boxes into the mail room :D

Haha... What was the concentration of the acid? I've seen a bottle of that 85% before and the whole bottle was covered in warning labels... "Strong Acid" "Corrosive" "Oxidizer" "Detonates on contact with organic substances".... etc...

I would be afraid to carry a box with all those labels too :P Though I'd have to look to see what os inside... Which is a felony?

Not really related (move to other section if inapropriate) but i made my first ever shell and it was a complete success, i hear that doesn't happen very often? It was a 1.5" can shell with TT stars and granulated Balsa lift and break. Are there any different effects you can make with different charcoal streamers? my TT and Crysanthemum 6 are identical. I have the video of a comparison- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeX9SaStNE

I tested my stars yesterday

BP star:

TT star:

both fired with flare pistol

Also I need to purchase some barium nitrate for green stars no one seems to ship it any help would be appreciated or green Comps. with an alternative to BN.

You can try ceramic store , not stores that sell ceramic i mean stores that sell materials for ceramic , they often have some nice chemicals like BaCO3 , SrCO3 , Fe2O3 , Fe3O4 , and some more.

you just have to look for stores like this in your country.

p.s - you can make Ba(NO3)2 from BaCO3 without problem just nitric acid.