APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

lol. No, I want some for pasting shells and the like. But I was wondering what its intended use was, ie: sealing boxes. It just didnt seem like some one would use a paper that needed wetting over an adhesive tape. I asked some people at office max yesterday if they could order it and they hadnt really ever heard of it, let alone seen it in a catolog.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did it really surprise you that the Aisle Monkeys at Office Max didn't know WTF they were doing? ;)

...I asked some people at office max yesterday if they could order it and they hadnt really ever heard of it, let alone seen it in a catolog.

Then they're idiots. I got my first few rolls of gummed tape from Staples. Go back to Office Max and look in the Shipping Supplies isle - it will be in with the boxes, bubble wrap and packing tape. They have it.

In that 20 minute long video of how shells are made, stars rolled etc...that popped on here a year or so ago they show some people sitting on the floor pasting shells with gummed tape. However the stuff that they were using had a layer that they peeled off and then they stuck the gummed paper right on the shell. It would be nice to have some of that so you don't have to spray each individual strip with water. Does anyone know what that stuff is?

I looked around there, maybe I missed it. Whats it packaged in?

^I was with some people at the convention that had some stuff like that, it was book binding tape for glueing books back together or something. It was just like tape though, no backing to peel off. I wouldnt think it would work as good as the adhesive would not really dry to become hard, as the wettable stuff does.

Thats still water activated paper tape. The sticky side is stuck together so it doesn't stick to everything. If you look really closely, they don't throw the part they're tearing off away, just double the length.

FYI, the preactivated tape doesn't work. In order to be put it rolls, it has to be designed not to stick to the layer below it, and thus won't provide an acceptable confinement to the shell. It'd be like trying to fire a still wet pasted shell.

I have a question about the video. Since I have very little experience with ball shells I wasn't sure what to make of the star loading method used. He just dumped them in there and with no orientation at all loaded the hulls right over them sitting in a pile at the bottom. Was he going for a bowtie break with that method?

Im not sure what the heck they were making. I didnt see a ring in the other hemi when they put it together, so its not a ring and bow tie shell. It must just be a lame chinese bowtie shell. Its one of those that shoot out a dense narrow tie shape. They did show some shells that had ropes on them so they where probably pattern shells. The rope helps orientate the shell, im gonna have to try that also.

gomtape is jused by painters, also called aquarelltape.

I rather just paste my shells like this:

Nice pasting! Flat and symmetric. Good job.

Thank you TheSidewinder.

Unfortunately the result wasn't like i wished.

Can someone explain me why most stars didn't ignite?

I used this burstcharge:

Potassium perchlorate.............................70

Hemp coal (or Paulownia coal).....................18

Sulfur............................................12

Glutinous rice starch.............................+2%

And i used this prime composition:

Potassium perchlorate.............................80

Charcoal, fine....................................15

Red gum...........................................4

Aluminum, (fine flake or pyro grade; optional)....4

Dextrin...........................................2

Pasted with 8 layers of 100grams/M2 kraftpaper (decent thickness)

Looked at office max again and didnt see any. I did find some 60lb craft which I didnt know they had, well niether did their "Aisle Monkeys". Tomorrow Im going to staples and Ill get some there. Its outta town or else I would have gone there first.

Thank you TheSidewinder.

Can someone explain me why most stars didn't ignite? ...snip...

Nice break, looked like it would have made a nice, symmetrical shell. A guess...did you use a sufficient qty of prime? As in a 1mm or more generous coating of the prime?

I also have no experience with Perc based compounds as the sole prime for stars. I usually roll a dusty layer of BP / Silicon based prime either as a single, step or final coat on my stars.

I cannot open that attached file, all I get is text. I can't just copy the URL like with pictures. Neither in Firefox or IE. Could I maybe get you to upload it somewhere?

Sorry, but the problem is really pissing me off!

I cannot open that attached file, all I get is text. I can't just copy the URL like with pictures. Neither in Firefox or IE. Could I maybe get you to upload it somewhere?

Get the IE Tab plug-in for Firefox. Then, right-click on the attachment and select the "Open Link in IE Tab" option.

Thank you TheSidewinder.

Can someone explain me why most stars didn't ignite? ...snip...

Nice break, looked like it would have made a nice, symmetrical shell. A guess...did you use a sufficient qty of prime? As in a 1mm or more generous coating of the prime?

I also have no experience with Perc based compounds as the sole prime for stars. I usually roll a dusty layer of BP / Silicon based prime either as a single, step or final coat on my stars.

I'm curious about what this silicone prime is. What is the composition if you don't mind sharing?

Get the IE Tab plug-in for Firefox. Then, right-click on the attachment and select the "Open Link in IE Tab" option.

Better yet, right-click and View Image...

A guess...did you use a sufficient qty of prime? As in a 1mm or more generous coating of the prime?

The prime was about 1mm indeed. maybe a little bit less.

post-4-1205577386_thumb.jpg

I'm curious about what this silicone prime is. What is the composition if you don't mind sharing?

On Passfire it's listed as ''Fence-post Prime'' because it's supposed to be able to light a fence-post in a hurricane. It's basically slightly under-oxidized BP (65:15:10) made with fast charcoal with 5% each additional Silicon and Diatomaceous Earth.

I use a variation of it and am very happy with it. Silicon is the "Wonder Drug" for primes (if you can get it) as it leaves molten particles of glass on the surface of the star when it burns.