APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Generally, how much would a 5" and 6" canister shell (single break of colour) weigh? An estimate would be fine.

Thanks

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally, how much would a 5" and 6" canister shell (single break of colour) weigh? An estimate would be fine.

Thanks

PGF,

http://www.apcforum.net/files/IMG_0939.jpg

I looked in my notes and the 6in go-gertter can in the picture weighed in at 1425g. It used rice crispies for break, so a tradiditonal can using 2fa might weight more. No idea on the go-getters vs. stars weightwise.

Does this mean we'll be seeing a 6in can from you soon?

I've never made a can shell bigger than 5". A normal 5" canister shell will weigh in around 1300-1600g generally. I believe my sun and planet shell was around 2800g. The sun was about 1500g, and the planet shell was a bit lighter as it wasn't packed as densly, and around 1200-1300g. I lifted it with 150g commercial 2FA. I believe it is elephant brand, but you'd have to ask cplmac for sure.

For 6" I'd expect it to be 1800g -2100g.

Thanks qwezxc12 and Mumbles

And to answer qwezxc12's question: Yes :ph34r:

Hopefully I will be able to make it for pyro get together in march.

Here goes a few shells made for this past nye show we did. I should have video on some of these in the next few days. enjoy!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/bay_boy_510/Pyro/Photo-0095.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/bay_boy_510/Pyro/Photo-0092.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/bay_boy_510/Pyro/Photo-0090.jpg

Definitely some interesting stuff, there...I see both paper and plastic 4in...assuming the 4's and 6's in the first are plastic due to the masking-tape rather than traditional pasting job. I'm sure you'll get lots of questions on your construction. I like the BBQ picture...do you use the upper or lower grill when drying the xylene? Mine always burn...maybe I should use the smoker...arf :D

I'm really tantalized by the bag labeled, "Brocade Red". Can't wait to see some videos.

@ qwezxc12, looking at the shells in the back, (4") I don't think the big one is a 6".. I'd guess 8".

Anyway, they're looking good. (Even with the maskingtape-pasting) I'm curious for the results!

New-B at shells but :

I have plastic 3" (actual size is 2 5/8") hemi's

and a 3" ID mortar.

From what I read, plastic shells dont have to be spiked. Thus no build up of material to make the shell fit snuggy in the tube...

I just fired my first successfultest shell yesterday:

120g shell / lift was 25g granulated BP.

I used duct tape around the seam of the shell make it fit nicely. Will this hinder the break any once I get to that stage? It was quite abit of tape on there...

Well I think you should spike the hemi's eaven that their plastic to avoid the flowerpot effect. And also, like a salute more there is paper around the FP the more noise it will make, it's like with a shell, more there is paper around better will the break

All shells are 6" plastics, the "cute" tape job does a good job for us for "pasting" as most know when breaking plastic its best to use some kind of "booster" so we like to break these babys hard. We get comments like "damn was that a 10 or a 12" When most of these broke on NYE the spread on them were very very nice. Of course not as full as say a 10-12 but just as round. We always tend to over lift the shells do to the fact that these stars are build for larger shells and not the 6's we had. As far as the bbq'er goes...yeah low heat for around 45 mins will get your medium rare lol :lol:

Bay :ph34r:

So, since when are you and Rav related?

Ha, those shells did indeed seem familiar with the ones ravaz posted here

I followed a link to those shells at Passfire here the other day. Great piece of work.

Does anyone know the recommended size (well, the smallest size I could go) for triple petal shells? Just wandering.

I followed a link to those shells at Passfire here the other day. Great piece of work.

Does anyone know the recommended size (well, the smallest size I could go) for triple petal shells? Just wandering.

Thanks. The smallest I've seen is in an 8" shell that a friend of mine made. The inner petal was a 2.5" shell, and the middle petal was a 5". I have a video of it somewhere, it was better then I thought it would be.

For true triple petals, such as the ones rav posted, I'd say 10 or 12" at the minimum. Two petals and a pistil is definatly possible with 8", but it would think it would be difficult for three true petals. I'd be very impressed by anyone who can actually manage a true triple petal in an 8" Sounds like a challenge to you rav :)

For true triple petals, such as the ones rav posted, I'd say 10 or 12" at the minimum. Two petals and a pistil is definatly possible with 8", but it would think it would be difficult for three true petals. I'd be very impressed by anyone who can actually manage a true triple petal in an 8" Sounds like a challenge to you rav :)

Maybe one day I will, right now I have a few more projects I need to test before I go to PGI. My schedule isn't what it used to be, I hardly do pyro these days because of it.

I saw and really admired both of those...always nice to finally figure out who's who between here and Passfire :)

In regards to my privious post, this is the test shell that was fired.

If the finale shell was to be fired like this would there be any neagtive effect?

-Joe

post-4-1199883970_thumb.jpg

I don't know what to call this but I call it a Gyro sphere b/c it makes sense to me. Call it what you want but I was wondering the real name of it.

http://i2.tinypic.com/6lwbejd.jpg

With another ring of stars around the equator of the shell, it's called an "Atomic Pattern Shell" and often uses different colored rings. There is an excellent tutorial on Passfire (yet another reason to spend the [TONE=Sarcasm] whopping [/TONE] $40 and subscribe). It describes methods used to ensure the ring stars stay in place and so make a good pattern in the burst. The outer petal is usually just the ring(s), but an inner petal is often used. Think of it as a "Saturn Shell" with multiple outer rings...

I think with the tailed effects of both the D1 and the TT, the pattern may be hard to differentiate. You'll be looking through the burst pattern remember...all the winking glitter and charcoal tails may obscure the pattern. I bet a shorter tailed charcoal star like C6 with brightly colored rings (Emerald Green or Ruby Red, or a Veline color) would be discernible and look great.

At any rate, that's just my $.02 and is worth exactly that. If you build it, let us know how it looks. Good luck.

With another ring of stars around the equator of the shell, it's called an "Atomic Pattern Shell" and often uses different colored rings. There is an excellent tutorial on Passfire (yet another reason to spend the [TONE=Sarcasm] whopping [/TONE] $40 and subscribe). It describes methods used to ensure the ring stars stay in place and so make a good pattern in the burst. The outer petal is usually just the ring(s), but an inner petal is often used. Think of it as a "Saturn Shell" with multiple outer rings...

I think with the tailed effects of both the D1 and the TT, the pattern may be hard to differentiate. You'll be looking through the burst pattern remember...all the winking glitter and charcoal tails may obscure the pattern. I bet a shorter tailed charcoal star like C6 with brightly colored rings (Emerald Green or Ruby Red, or a Veline color) would be discernible and look great.

At any rate, that's just my $.02 and is worth exactly that. If you build it, let us know how it looks. Good luck.

Thanks. I've already built it and in about 2 weeks I'm going to go shoot it.