APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I'm assuming this is a problem with already existing shells. In the future it may be advisable to use a larger case former, or wrap some tape and paper around the current former so that you do not have to continually increase the girth of your shells. For a 120mm shell, the former should be right around 107mm or so.

For the pipe, listen to hst. All are very good suggestions. The first two will actually provide reinforcement and help prevent any accidents. I've successfully shot shells out of the likes of shipping tubes, and other very weak things by burying them. Not recomended, but it just goes to show that it does provide reinforcement. Above group they would have looked like a banana in 1 shot, and the shell would be 15 feet away on the ground.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bloody hell, my shell "catoed" it just came out of the mortar, and well exploded... and since I was like 10m away... But nobody got burned.

Hi there

thanks for your help, i reinforced my mortar finally. here are some pictures:

Strength

Second layer

Finished

I glued a linen sheet around (~5mm), then i put over a paper tube (~4mm)and once again glued a linen sheet (~3mm)around the whole thing. Then i tightened up the whole thing with fiber tape.

I think now it's quite a bit safer than before, but anyway it seems to be HDPE =) What do you think? can i sleep calmly now?^^

By the way, in the background there's some stuff for nye

greetz

Spider

What do you think? can i sleep calmly now?^^

By the way, in the background there's some stuff for nye

I can't speak for anyone else, but if it were me I'd feel comfortable to fire-away. Of course I'm not your life insurance agent :P , but hey, short of testing the rig to destruction you're never going to know without a life-fire test. LONG fuse and FAR away counts for a lot in these cases too.

Good luck, keep safe, and have a good NYE.

It looked like a standard HDPE black mortar in that final pic to me, it seemed about as thick as my 4" is.

I have been looking into using film canisters for areal shells. About how wide should my mortar tube be for a 35mm canister (before anything has been done to the canister)?

I use kinder surprise eggs as shells, since they are probably about the same size as film canisters you could try with a 50mm ID mortar.

Here is the two 4" shells i made for Christmas.

Pic: http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/S4023488.jpg

Ring Video: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=S4023489.flv

LES Video: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=S4023490.flv

Link to a big long post describing the making of them and the fantic situation I was in:

http://www.totse.com/community/showthread....=2082556&page=2

Fired this one yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMU7mUdbxOA

This was a 4" D1 glitter shell. It was a nice late christmas present from myself as the D1 actually looked a lil bit like D1 :D

Was a bit foggy so the effect isn't seen as good as it would be by clear skies and excuse the film quality, forgot my camera at home so a friend used his cell phone.

Did you throw it up by the stick?

This did just give me a great idea. Im going to try sticks on shells now. Use them to orientate the shell so that shapes come out in the right direction. It should work just like a rocket but with a flying shell.

Reminds me of when we hand launched 1.75" shells :)

Light the visco and throw as high as you can :D

Yeah if you don't have a ball mill to make good lift you have to find a way to have fun :D . Hey, Maybe I just invented a new beginner pyro technique :rolleyes:

I made some 3 and 2 inch can shells for NYE and they always turned into starmines like it went off before leaving the tube and I don't know what my problem was? It was a nice effect b/c the stars went up pretty high. My aunt forgot the video camera at the hotel :angry:. My 3 inch plastic ball shells also didn't work to well, well they were fine but instead of a break the the shell shattering the hemis just split. I collect a top and bottom hemi from my 3 inch ones and this did happen once with a 4" b/c I think the PVC Primer didn't dry but it was still nice.

Zmuro, those are real nice shells! How did you obtain that brilliant fire dust seen in the fitst shells lift?

I never get such a dense charcoal tail when using regular Tigertail or C8 comp.. Did you wetmix them? What charcoal was used? I want to know everything! =D

Zmuro, those are real nice shells! How did you obtain that brilliant fire dust seen in the fitst shells lift?

I never get such a dense charcoal tail when using regular Tigertail or C8 comp.. Did you wetmix them? What charcoal was used? I want to know everything! =D

The first thing in the movie was comet with C6 composition, all shells were D1 or Winkour 20 composition and some comets had about 8% of Ti sponge.