APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Im not even sure that mumbles knows what it is....I think he meant that he finally figured out that it was a sideways pic of a liquid and not some solid in there. But its a secret, cant tell. Ya know sometimes your great ideas just cant be given out.

But methyl borate should work just fine if you wanna make one.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Need a bit of help here. I'm looking for a simple star made from KNO3, C, S (Iron would probably be acceptable also). The effect i'm looking for is a relatively short bright orange tail with a bright golden head.

Chrysanthemums just don't cut it as well as tiger tail, spider stars i haven't tried but i hear they're not that bright.

Does anyone have a formula that would resemble the above description?

Cheers

Need a bit of help here. I'm looking for a simple star made from KNO3, C, S (Iron would probably be acceptable also). The effect i'm looking for is a relatively short bright orange tail with a bright golden head.

Chrysanthemums just don't cut it as well as tiger tail, spider stars i haven't tried but i hear they're not that bright.

Does anyone have a formula that would resemble the above description?

Cheers

Kno3 44

S 6

C 44

Dextrin 6

Bind with 25% alc

Thats a tiger tail formula

Spider is about as close as you will get without including metal. It's brighter than tiger tail for sure. It makes more of a golden color, rather than the dull orange color from tiger tail. I've seen it done before with TT, but addition of 10% Iron or FeTi to the spider comp would brighten it up. and probably give you something you're looking for. I have class right now, but I'll look through the formulas I've saved over the years when I get back to see if I can find anything for you.

What is the formula for spider star. In which stars compositions could I use zinc powder and what would be effect of this stars?

I don't remember how to make a spider star, but a willow star is 45:35:12 (KNO3:C:S) with 8% Dextrin\SGRS...

I don't really know if a spider is metallic fueled or not, but if it is I'd assume it uses Ti or something...

There's tons of star comps that use zinz, but note that zinc in comps makes pretty heavy stars...

Granite stars burn a greenish color, but I don't know there comp either... It was on PyroGuide, but I believe it's down at the moment...

Spider stars are essentially a fast burning, easy to light composition that leaves a big puffy tail behind. They happen to be one of my favorite stars.

15 - KNO3

C - 9

S - 2

Dex - 2

These need to be ball milled together to get a very intimate mixture. Wetting is the key. The comp burns poorly until it is wet.

Just a little trick. In order to increase the burn rate of a star, add meal powder to it. Using good charcoal in the above spider comp, for me gives stars that burn for 1-2 seconds at 5/8-3/4". When I used commercial airfloat, they gave more like 4-5 seconds on the same size. Adding meal powder will get the burn rate back up. Alternatively, if you have an Iron star you really like, you can add some meal to it to burn it up faster. Hell, even meal with 10% Iron should make a star about what you are looking for.

I was thinking about this, during class. Why not take a gold glitter and add some meal to it to speed it up? It would give the gold head with more of a charcoal character tail. Or is a slightly shimmering tail out of the question in this situation?

I know I've seen you make better pearl stars. I give the original, and a modification I think would work.

Potassium Nitrate 47

Sulfur 18

Barium Nitrate 10

Charcoal Airfloat 10

Aluminum, atom, spher, 400 mesh, 14 micron 10

Dextrin 5

Potassium Nitrate 53

Sulfur 18

Charcoal Airfloat 10

Aluminum, atom, spher, 400 mesh, 14 micron 10

Dextrin 5

NaHCO3 5

Even replacing all the Ba nitrate with KNO3 and no sodium would probably give a golden color instead of white. Replacing the Al with Fe or charcoal may be an option as well.

But its a secret, cant tell.
Awwww, come'on psyco tell me, stop teasing, it's not like i'm going to scurry off and tell everyone it was my idea and i promise that i'll give all the credit to you if anyone cares, pretty please :) .

Just use methyl borate! Its easier to make and will give you a green fireball, if thats what your wanting. Boric acid in methyl alcohol.

But you running off and claiming it as yours isnt what im worried about. If thats it I would let you know what it was. Its the fact of the "people" that could be watching....I dont want it used against me. Might relaese it next year.

Judging from the color and everything. My guess would be 7;3 or 8:2 gasoline:Diesel or something similar. Perhaps some alcohol mixed in there for clearing purposes.

Its the fact of the "people" that could be watching
Ok whatever, a green fire ball isn't what i'm looking for, it's just that i can't think of any flammable liquid that's green so i thought that it might be something exotic that does something special, but if you think i've heard of what it's made of before then never mind. no hard feelings :) .

A suspicious discovery at a Manhattan subway stop disrupted train traffic during morning rush hour.

Officials first said they had discovered what looked like a suspicious green liquid on the tracks of the 14th Street station on the northbound 6 subway line. Trains ran express between the Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Central station on the 6 line for a half hour between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. while the investigation continued.

Environmental officials were called to the scene, and police removed what they thought was the suspicious substance. Police said later the discovery turned out to be an empty cigar box.

I've got it. You are filling the bottles with empty cigar boxes!!! Oh, the power of google.

What the hell? Lol green liquid was later found to be an empty cigar box?

They better get some new damn glasses :D hahaha

I like your lampares also, I must find the secret recipe :P, next PGI

But you running off and claiming it as yours isnt what im worried about. If thats it I would let you know what it was. Its the fact of the "people" that could be watching....I dont want it used against me. Might relaese it next year.

LOL..you're using Biersach's formula anyway, right?

Uh? a mortar?

That would be a starmine if anything. I doubt you could get a roman candle that is 1" ID, which would be the closest size to a mortar (haha imagine 1" stars)... But most people don't even consider 1" shells to be a mortar shell... more of a rocket heading for a 1/4" of 3/8" rocket...

Here at APC we try to type before instead of b4 and use punctuation so we don't look like idiots also.

Hmm... Roman candles with bombettes or comets are quite common here... I don't know the exact size, but 1" is pretty close I guess.

You can get candles up to 4" but they are hard to find. In my experience however most of the "large bore" candles have inserts in them and not just stars in them, unless they are comet candles.

But you running off and claiming it as yours isnt what im worried about.  If thats it I would let you know what it was.  Its the fact of the "people" that could be watching....I dont want it used against me.  Might relaese it next year.

LOL..you're using Biersach's formula anyway, right?

Have no idea what that is. But I'd like to know. Oh and Mumbles not sure it youve burnt any diesel/gas mixes lately but I dont think they burn green. And why would they look green? Last diesel I seen had a pinkish tint to it. But nope your all wring again, its something I came up with, its not based on anyones formulas or ideas. Ya find me at the convention next year and Ill tell ya. Look insentive to join the PGI.

Last diesel I seen had a pinkish tint to it.

That's off-road deisel normal deisel has a blueish tint to it.

Or at least thats now it is in PA.

Boric Acid dissolved in denatured alcohol will burn with a green color however.