APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I cant view any vids. I click the link and it says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Not sure if its this website or just vid links. Never had this problem before. Sad.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might have to save the links to your harddrive and then watch them. I had to do the same thing for a long time for no particular reason. Works on my new comp, so I don't know what the difference is.

As far as fitting them into a 3" can, I'd use 1/2" or 9/16" ID tubes with a 3/4" OD. You can fit 7 into a layer. Qwezxc's go-getters burnt a little fast. If you use say, 325 atomised, or some other glitter type Al, it may work better. Say, about 1" long. 3 or 4 rows. Go fuse up, then fuse down. Do a fuse up, fuse down pattern again if using 4. Otherwise, make the 3rd row fuse down again if only doing 3. You want the fuses never against the end of a shell for better ignition.

SNIP!!

Shell weighed in at 529g, lift was 45g homemade -16mesh.

I attached a small cup of left-over blue go-getter comp as a rising effect...you can see take fire from an

I'll be posting more vids as soon as I convert the files.

Wow very impressive. Your blues are a lot more noticable now :) Oh and I love your display of commets!

Not in relation to this thread. But thats a pretty sweet pic fight fire. You make that?

Sorry for the late reply, and no i didn't make that picture i saw it on the skypainters cplmac's site.

Thanks for all the comments on the can shell. Definitely fun to build...I see many more in my future - I want to try all sorts of inserts now: Hummers, Serpents, and more Go-Getters, of course!

Anyway, here are a few more shells that I shot last Thursday night:

4in shell with Steel Stars & green pistil: Video

4in shell with MgAl/Steel Stars: Video

4in shell with Al Flitter Stars & red microstars in the burst: Video

(you may not see them in the video, but in the frame you can see they were there)

http://www.apcforum.net/files/4inAlflitter.jpg

You can tell I'm a big fan of D1 Glitter as a rising tail :)

D1 does make a great tail, and that last shell was awesome!

Now it says the server returned an invalid or unreconized response when I try to save the link.

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

qwezxc12, was the x carbonate in the blue go getter comp copper carbonate? great shell by the way.

Yup...Copper and Strontium Carbonate. I was surprised at the richness of the colors myself. It must be all the Chlorine + the AP that boosted the colors. I know when using 15% carbonates in KPerc formulas, the colors aren't nearly as clean. Green and Purple are next.

Well i launched the shell this evening despite having a rainy start to the day, but im so glad i did, ill be wanting to make many more like this.

It contains my gold tail stars with a ring of blue, burst is bp on rice hulls with a whistle booster.

the smaller shells have some yellow stars ant Ti in them, burst with flash on rice hulls.

i have since primed the end of each bit of visco and they are timed to go off about 1 sec after the main shell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/wyvernp/IMG_0471.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/wyvernp/IMG_0472.jpg

Ill be going back to a flashbag in the shell as i find it gives a better break anyway enough waffle heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYfoa8Ume0

and yup the end bang was my first successful crosette

Ok thanks, do you think 325 mesh flake al would be too big a size? it's the stuff from Hawk Mountain.

I've no idea...I do think the 5 micron atomized I used was a bit too reactive. Either I'll try a larger mesh Al or add more carbonate to tame the burn rate. I do think a given size Al flake's burning characteristics will be faster than equivilent sized speroidal partical, though. So -325 flake may be faster than say 20 micron atomized.

Try it out and let us know.

Well i launched the shell this evening despite having a rainy start to the day, but im so glad i did, ill be wanting to make many more like this.

It contains my gold tail stars with a ring of blue, burst is bp on rice hulls with a whistle booster.

the smaller shells have some yellow stars ant Ti in them, burst with flash on rice hulls.

i have since primed the end of each bit of visco and they are timed to go off about 1 sec after the main shell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/wyvernp/IMG_0471.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/wyvernp/IMG_0472.jpg

Ill be going back to a flashbag in the shell as i find it gives a better break anyway enough waffle heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYfoa8Ume0

and yup the end bang was my first successful crosette

Neat, but did all the 1" shells go off? I counted 1 salute, 1 shell, 1 crossette...

i do think that they all went off at once, next time ill cut the fuses to slightly different lengths, might try one with just crosettes in it too if i can ger them working consistently.

I primed the end of each bit of visco which light off the exhaust gasses/flame then the shell is shot out of the mortar simmilar to how an attached comet would light. its not a great way of doing it but it was a last minuite addition.

And Geez, that 4" shell must have had about 1lb of flash in it

Can a 4" canister (Single break, nothing fancy) be bottom fused (Spolette) or would this be a bit too risky?

Cheers

Can a 4" canister (Single break, nothing fancy) be bottom fused (Spolette) or would this be a bit too risky?

Cheers

I wouldn't trust it not to blow through. Why do you want it on the bottom ?

Can a 4" canister (Single break, nothing fancy) be bottom fused (Spolette)  or would this be a bit too risky?

Cheers

I wouldn't trust it not to blow through. Why do you want it on the bottom ?

Just seems simpler. I don't have any experience with buckets and passfires but i guess when reaching this size canister shells i'll just have to learn one way or another.

Cheers

If it was me id make it bottom fused. If it blows through then to bad lesson learned. Dont see any reason for it to do that though.

And Geez, that 4" shell must have had about 1lb of flash in it

wouldn't that much flash shatter the stars?

I think he was joking, but if you got a lb. of flash in a 4"... yes... it would pretty much shatter anything.