APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

If that was your first paper/pasted shell, it was damned good! (Even if it wasn't your first one, it's damned good. ;))

Nice job!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is my first 8" can shell. The video missed the opening break but after that I thought it turned out pretty good. Too bad it was not a little darker out though. SO here it is an 8" shell of shells stuffed with 10ea. 3" cans. If you build cans you will notice no liner in one of the pics. That was intended to be so.

Looks like the forum is trying to open a wmv file with avi so video did not work for me.

That second video worked for me. I tried BOTH "Save-As" and direct play. Save as, saved it as a WMV. But direct play said it was an AVI file (again). That's not your fault, Mark. That's got to be something with the forum software, though I don't know where. I'll keep looking into it.

Oh, and it was a lot higher resolution too. Looks much better!

Thanks :) and no it is not my first paper shell, but is my first gummed tape over paper shell. I am definitely liking the gummed taping method of shell construction!

Nice shell smed9182,

Did you ball mill parts of that comp? Some say they do and some say they don't, so seeing your clip, I'm curious.

Marks

Hello again everyone, just wanted to share another shell with everyone. My progress has been continuing as I have shot many successful 4 inch shells, so I decided that I would move up to 6 inch shells.

This shell is a 6" D1 glitter shell. I however moved from plastic to paper and pasted it with gummed tape as the article on passfire describes. I used 4:1 BP on rice hulls with a 22 gram KNO3/S/AL flash booster. The stars in it were 1/2" pumped D1 stars made with 400 mesh atomized Al. I also included a 3/4" D1 comet for a nice rising effect. This shell was filmed much much further away than most of my shells so that could be why it looks a bit smaller in the video (camera man was about 1000 feet away or so). Let me know what you guys think!

Nice shell smed9182,

Did you ball mill parts of that comp? Some say they do and some say they don't, so seeing your clip, I'm curious.

Marks

I did not mill the comp at all, I just simply screened and mixed with the diaper method. I left everything the way it was, so the KNO3 was somewhat granular (says -200 mesh) and the charcoal was already air float. I like how long the D1 lasts this way, I have seen some very fast burning D1 comps and didn't really want to go that route.

@()$*#!(+%#@$*@!

I just don't get it, I got the perfect break on a shell, a few others were pretty close. I tried replicating it, doing exactly the same as I did before, end up with really weak bursts, add more flash, still weak burst. This time I used about 25g of KNO3:S:Al (indian dark flake) to boost a 3" shell, again, piss poor burst, just a small pop.

F##K it, tomorrow I am going to use ONLY flash to burst a shell, use it like its BP.

I think I will have to use 70:30, but I still dont get how the breaks can be so weak, considering nothing has changed.

Made two daylight shells to test out a concept for a friend's wedding reception. Shells were 5in canisters filled with 24oz ea. of snap-line chalk surrounding a 3in salute core. The cans were minimally confined with no spiking at all, just taped enough to keep their integrity while shot.

The salute charge was 75g of 70:30, with some bulk made up of 4:1 BP coated crispies. Both shells weighed ~1040g. I tried two different timings/lift amounts, the blue shorter than the red - will go with the blue for the wedding. Enjoy...

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1236104374//tn_gallery_747__8256.jpg

Daylight Shell video

...edited to attach pic of shells (excuse the crappy quality; taken on a cell phone)

post-747-1245072997_thumb.jpg

Edited by qwezxc12

Made two daylight shells to test out a concept for a friend's wedding reception. Shells were 5in canisters filled with 24oz ea. of snap-line chalk surrounding a 3in salute core. The cans were minimally confined with no spiking at all, just taped enough to keep their integrity while shot.

Neat! Thanks for the "fix" q!

@()$*#!(+%#@$*@!

I just don't get it, I got the perfect break on a shell, a few others were pretty close. I tried replicating it, doing exactly the same as I did before, end up with really weak bursts, add more flash, still weak burst. This time I used about 25g of KNO3:S:Al (indian dark flake) to boost a 3" shell, again, piss poor burst, just a small pop.

F##K it, tomorrow I am going to use ONLY flash to burst a shell, use it like its BP.

I think I will have to use 70:30, but I still dont get how the breaks can be so weak, considering nothing has changed.

25 grams is way to much, try 10 grams in a 3" and give it about 9 layers of pasting, no shitty gummed paper tape, just normal 80 grams kraft and wheat paste.

Yankie, could there be variations in the quality of your BP? Just an idea...

If you do go with 70/30...I suggest trying it with something on the low end of the 70/30 spectrum - particularily 70/30 made with bright flake Al...much more forgiving that Dark Al but still packs a punch. You'd probably only need 2-3 grams of it in a 3". I always used (up to) 1 gram to boost a BP broken 1.75" shell...which always worked great. I believe some other people on this board also like bright Al flash for the same reason.

Previous 3" shells were boosted with whistle which worked fine...definetely gave a report but not the distinct, loud one that you get from flash. Still sent the stars out plenty far. Just this last weekend I tried 2.5g of bright flake flash in a 3" with BP pulverone...big bang...maybe too much (only ~10% of my stars lit...but that could have been the stars' fault as they lacked a prime). I will try it again with say... 1.5 grams of the same flash and primed stars next time I get the chance.

Also, all of the shells I'm describing here are unpasted plastic (yes, I'm lazy).

Edited by flying fish

Neat. Pretty big bang for your typical wedding :P

I suggest you re-evaluate your construction techniques and materials. 25g should burst the hell out of anything, with even minimal confinement.

Yankie, could there be variations in the quality of your BP? Just an idea...

If you do go with 70/30...I suggest trying it with something on the low end of the 70/30 spectrum - particularily 70/30 made with bright flake Al...much more forgiving that Dark Al but still packs a punch. You'd probably only need 2-3 grams of it in a 3". I always used (up to) 1 gram to boost a BP broken 1.75" shell...which always worked great. I believe some other people on this board also like bright Al flash for the same reason.

Previous 3" shells were boosted with whistle which worked fine...definetely gave a report but not the distinct, loud one that you get from flash. Still sent the stars out plenty far. Just this last weekend I tried 2.5g of bright flake flash in a 3" with BP pulverone...big bang...maybe too much (only ~10% of my stars lit...but that could have been the stars' fault as they lacked a prime). I will try it again with say... 1.5 grams of the same flash and primed stars next time I get the chance.

Also, all of the shells I'm describing here are unpasted plastic (yes, I'm lazy).

I was using 70:30 bright flake, but I was still getting weak breaks even using overly excessive amounts, so I switched to 5:3:2 dark flake Al, it isn't that fast so I used 25g because I really wanted to burst the f*cker hard. Yet all I get is a shitty little pop. Today I made a shell thats been boosted wit 5g of dark flake 70:30, If that doesn't work I am not sure what will.

I have used whistle mix in the past for boosting shells, both granulated and powder, I moved to flash as I prefer to use less of a stronger mix.

I suggest you re-evaluate your construction techniques and materials. 25g should burst the hell out of anything, with even minimal confinement.

Thats what I would have thought too, I doubt its my construction method as I have had numerous successes before this.

I just had a thought, I have been firing the shells about 4 hours after constructing them, the PVC weld is dry on appearance, but I suspect the inside may still have reminants of solvent, making the join weaker. Still you would expect 25g of flash to do something?

Will try the one with 5g 70:30 tonight, if that still has a poor break, tomorrow I will make an identical one and let the PVC weld dry for 24 hours.

Freakydutchmen, I am using plastics, non pasted as I want to mass produce these for a pretty big show, and pasting 3s is not a favourite past time of mine. I am trying to get something quick, simple and reasonably effective, not after perfect breaks but something big and mildly round would be good.

Edited by Yankie

Flash is used in small shells to boost the BP break. You need a reliable process to make good break powder. Rice Krispies or rice hulls can help too! Also if you fill the hemis OTT then with a light frothy break you can push the halves together more easily.

At 3" DIA shell 1 - 2 g of flash boost should be enough anything over 5g is just a weak salute with some broken stars.

Lol at last one. "that's bad." Haha, ah good times.

Damn, i can't open the movie. Could you upload it as a .avi file? I always like to see dutch shells!!

thnx freakydutchman for the file,

It where both beautifull shells. Those emerald green stars where pretty big i guess. They burned for a long time!

The salute charge was 75g of 70:30, with some bulk made up of 4:1 BP coated crispies. Both shells weighed ~1040g. I tried two different timings/lift amounts, the blue shorter than the red - will go with the blue for the wedding. Enjoy...

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1236104374//tn_gallery_747__8256.jpg

Daylight Shell video

...edited to attach pic of shells (excuse the crappy quality; taken on a cell phone)

I always check this thread when I saunter back this way, and yours never fail to impress. Yours to freakydutchmen.

Edited by justanotherpyro

3" winokur 39 ball shell:

It seems that the annoying trade off that I usually experience is burn time vs. fallout reduction. I usually choose fallout reduction over longer burn time, even though the latter gives a prettier effect. I wish I could get a long burn time and still have all the sparks go out before they hit the ground...