APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Yeah, nice ^_^ . How's this for a busted mortar-

"A launching tube destroyed by a "yonshakudama" firework at Katakai Fireworks Co., Ltd, Katakai, Japan, April 6, 2009. The company makes the world's largest firework, a 120cm round shell called a "yonshakudama"."

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/tonymcnicol/g...00008Hpnaub.Fmg

Edited by swervedriver

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you read the descriptions on the photos apparently the entire shell is made from "gunpowder"

I dialed in my non-pasted shells, using bright flake flash as the booster seemed to make the difference over whistle mix.

If you read the descriptions on the photos apparently the entire shell is made from "gunpowder"

That picture of him standing with an open box of "gunpowder" made me laugh.

Given the color of what's being photographed, if that's gunpowder I'm the King of Siam.

Doesn't look quite right for flash (and I don't think he'd be so casual around it) but....... ??

I hate this type of misinformation, if it were to the media to explain fireworks manufacture, everything would be made from gunpowder, rice and some magical dust. It's frustrating to see such sloppy descriptions.

Everything also contains magnesium, and detonates in to sparks.

Oh, and all fireworks are Skyrockets or firecrackers.

I hate this type of misinformation, if it were to the media to explain fireworks manufacture, everything would be made from gunpowder, rice and some magical dust. It's frustrating to see such sloppy descriptions.

It's a translation from one language to another, what do you expect?

That picture of him standing with an open box of "gunpowder" made me laugh.

Given the color of what's being photographed, if that's gunpowder I'm the King of Siam.

Doesn't look quite right for flash (and I don't think he'd be so casual around it) but....... ??

A few pictures after that one there are some pictures of stars drying, and they decided to call them "gunpowder balls"

of course it is "translation from one language to another" , after awhile I assume everyone knows how fireworks work. To me it just seems so simple...

I was unaware that gunpowder could burn at all the colors of the rainbow...I guess my knowledge is lacking somewhere.

I was unaware that gunpowder could burn at all the colors of the rainbow...I guess my knowledge is lacking somewhere.

Dang! I knew I was doing something wrong!....Good time's indeed! :rolleyes:

Edited by homebrewed77

What ever was in the box he was holding open seems to have been used to roll those stars in the next picture. It looks like strobe composition in my experiences.

What ever was in the box he was holding open seems to have been used to roll those stars in the next picture. It looks like strobe composition in my experiences.

Hmm, looked more like a red star comp to me, strobe is slightly more pale and yellow, depends on the formula though. Though I don't doubt you as you have had more experience than me.

Really guys, black chemicals mixed with white chemicals and you're making speculations? Really?

Here is my first 8" can shell. The video missed the opening break but after that I thought it turned out pretty good. Too bad it was not a little darker out though. SO here it is an 8" shell of shells stuffed with 10ea. 3" cans. If you build cans you will notice no liner in one of the pics. That was intended to be so.

Looks like the forum is trying to open a wmv file with avi so video did not work for me.

post-4380-1244511391_thumb.jpg

post-4380-1244511414_thumb.jpg

Edited by marks265

Video worked for me (using Windows Media Player). Just tell it to play despite the warning.

For those who can't view it directly, right-click on it and Save-As. It will save as a WMV.

And very nice shell!!

(I'll look at the players and see if there's something set wrong.)

Didn't work for me Sidewinder. WMP can't play the file because "it does not support the file type or support the codec used to compress the file." This is a different language for me, sort of. I need to work on my computer lingo.. :blink:

The video worked for me.

Very nice forst 8" shell of shells, looked like it worked well, shame it wasnt darker though, oh well, many more 8"ers to some, lol

No offence, but I have one question :

Why do you have to shoot these during the day and not wait for the night.

The effects are hardly seen through the day and for me it's an almost total waste, especially for an expensive 8" shell.

The question is also addressed to the other shooting shells before the night :)

But very good work though.

He had to shoot when he did because our (WPAG) shooting permit is only good until 10:30pm, and at this time of year it doesn't get dark until damn near 9:30. ;)

Our shoots tend to fill available time anyway, so a short time slot means we have to start when it's still light out.

I can't agree with you more 50AE (and others) but you had to be there to understand 'cause I could give you a long list of reasons. In the end I used known working stars on the break and first round of breaks and new stars on the last round. I was mainly concerned of shooting the shell skyward in one piece (no flower pot) and insert timing after that. My lift was not too big a concern but used an educated guess on time fuse. With all that said now I can build another more so for the audience. :P

No offence, but I have one question :

Why do you have to shoot these during the day and not wait for the night.

The effects are hardly seen through the day and for me it's an almost total waste, especially for an expensive 8" shell.

The question is also addressed to the other shooting shells before the night :)

But very good work though.

A quick followup to some things first reported in this thread:

In our Gallery I increased the viewer size to 640 x 480, and this eliminated the "size clipping" that was happening.

I'm still working on why an WMV post attachment is claiming to be AVI.

Hello again everyone, just wanted to share another shell with everyone. My progress has been continuing as I have shot many successful 4 inch shells, so I decided that I would move up to 6 inch shells.

This shell is a 6" D1 glitter shell. I however moved from plastic to paper and pasted it with gummed tape as the article on passfire describes. I used 4:1 BP on rice hulls with a 22 gram KNO3/S/AL flash booster. The stars in it were 1/2" pumped D1 stars made with 400 mesh atomized Al. I also included a 3/4" D1 comet for a nice rising effect. This shell was filmed much much further away than most of my shells so that could be why it looks a bit smaller in the video (camera man was about 1000 feet away or so). Let me know what you guys think!