APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Nice shells guys! I got some shells waiting as well, just need to find time to shoot them.

MCRH is indeed a lazy way to type meal coated rice hulls.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Making them takes much more time than shooting them Miech. :P
Yeah, I know :) . I just don't feel like shooting them alone and at the same time try to catch them on camera. Besides, it's much more fun if you can impress others with your favorite kind of art.

A page full with awesome shells. Everyone - Good work ! ;) Edited by 50AE

Two more testers, reduced the flash in the 6" need to increase it in the 4"

Was that 6" switching from red to purple and from purple to red? Very nice anyway!

@Miech: give a shout when you go shoot, I'll join 'n try to bring some goodies too.

Yellowcard, great shell man, looked amazing. Perfect angle to catch it at too.

Al, not to criticize or put your work down or anything but whats up with your oblong breaks? That 6" looked and sounded like it popped pretty good though.

My camera is taking the video in widescreen, then windows movie maker screws it up. I think I will start taking it in standard....

Oh....haha, so there coming out round in the sky, just not on film. That's good.

Nice looking shells, Deafaid. Good pasting job on them. Video soon to come?

I just lol @ the one that has crap stars on it :lol:

Oops. I missed that the first time I saw it.

"Crap Stars".... good one. :D

We wanna see video of that!

Heres my first 4 inch shell that my friend, crazyboy, helped me make a while back,

And a couple of pre-fire pictures:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4631.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4632.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/superman1451/DSCF4635.jpg

and my first comet.

I have a couple of more videos that I still have to edit. I'll try getting those up soon.

hay mate realy nice shells and wat was the comp for the purple wow that was nice. and wat is that red stuff in the photo?

The red (pink) stuff is granulated whistle most likely. Whistle made with red iron oxide as a catalyst has a red-pinkish tent to it. Its often used in place of flash as a booster in shells.

Nice shell Superman.

Thanks to both of you and yes it is granulated whistle.

The composition of the purple was:

KClO4.....27.5

SrNO3.....22.5

Parlon.......20

Al (dark).....10

CuO.........10

Dex..........5

I made a useful discovery regarding to pattern shells. In my show I noticed that every shell burst upright. All of these shells had a lift cup made from very thick cardboard tube as seen in the picture.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7617/picture045fpq.th.jpg

After finding remains of shells on the ground I noticed this lift cup was still attached to the shell as it went up. This leads me to beleive that the lift cup causes the shell to stay upright due to either the aero-dynamics or the weight, or a combination of both.

So when making pattern shells, try attaching an oversized lift cup with a thin disk glued to the bottom for the lift gasses to escape from without destroying the cup and removing it from the shell. The pattern will have to be arranged perpendicular to the normal arrangement due to the upright rotation of the shell. Or the time fuse and lift cup can be attached to the side of the shell on the hemisphere equator.

I don't know if this made much sense, let me know if you need further explaining.

Yankie I have had multiple problems with lift cups like that. Most of my shells would flowerpot regardless of how well I secured the fuse. Have you encountered this problem?

Use an as small as possible hole for the fuse and glue it in with a large dab of hot melt glue before pasting. Also, use time fuse instead of wrapped visco. Since I do it this way I've never had a flowerpot on spherical shells anymore, no matter how much lift was put under it. The lift cup should not give problems with flowerpotting if your shell itself is constructed well.

Yankie I have had multiple problems with lift cups like that. Most of my shells would flowerpot regardless of how well I secured the fuse. Have you encountered this problem?

I have never had a flowerpot with any of my ball shells, and I lift them fairly hard. I use visco wrapped in tape too, I glue on the outside, on the inside and then after pasting I cut the fuse a few mm from the end of the tape and dip in BP slurry and then in granulated, works a charm.

VIsco wrapped in paper tape works for me! Time fuse is difficult here. The paper tape must wrap tightly wound the visco and a blob of PVA glue round the end of the paper (but not the end of the visco) stops sparks flashing along the tube. Then simply ensure that the paper tape tube is sealed at the outer end and glued well inside and out to the hemi. I had some misfires til I primed the outer end.

Orientating a shell in flight can be done, but isn't reliable! Using a robust lift cup fixes the orientation by drag and mass, using a frangible lift cup and a drag string attatched to the intended bottom point may allow the orientation to be chosen. However the shell may launch with spin due to the detatching leader and drop string/top loop and the launch spin may defeat the orientation method. I've seen commercial shells to produce smiley face and cat face but rarely do they show the effect the right way round. Hearts work reasonably well from bigger shells largely because the graphic is simple and easily perceived (even if it is tilted).

It`s a little bit late but here are my shells and mines from new year`s eve:

http://1click.pyroszene.com/dl/1082/Silvester08pse.WMV.htm

This stuff was build me and two other guys from our german pyro board and shot on Easter:

http://1click.pyroszene.com/dl/1120/Session_02.wmv.htm

The first effect were 13*50mm mines with a mix of our stars. (titanium streamer, winokur 20, veline red, tigertail...) The second was a four shot cake of my 70mm ball shells. After this a 100mm cylidical multibreakt 4 segments shell explode in my steel motar, turn the pedestal up^^ but the effect was also nice. Inserts were farfalle and titanium salutes. The Shels after this was 150mm double petal with veline red in the inner petal and iron tail stars in the outer, unfortunately my friend made a mistake with the binder and they were powdered by the break charge.

Finally the other guy shot a 180mm double petal ballshell with 1" silverstreamer crosettest.

I hope there are not so many misspellings^^

Wow! great stuff! The 4" "mine" worked out awesome! I also really like the silver streamers! Especially the rising comet on the crossettes shell! Can you share the composition with us?

Absolutely beautiful man. That mine at 00:33 is the best mine I've seen on video. Spectacular!