Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IT RAINED!!!! OMFG!

I let off everything I had lying around, hightlight was this 3" shell.

Plastic shell, pasted with gummed tape, 1/2" TT rising comet and some pumped golden glitter stars in the lift, burst was cut D1 stars, plain BP burst, no flash.

That last mine was brilliant! well done.

~Milky~

That starmine was intense, like a wave of fire

thanks!

And another one 3" ball shell ;)

thanks!

And another one 3" ball shell ;)

Sweet dude, little more practice on burst and your set.

Sweet shells Yankie, looking forward to more :D

Ahhh, I would consider it a good shell, with different stars.. :)

Lots of testing... Testing the methylene chloride seal, the new fuse, priming, x-matching, lift and burst... So I used some easy to make glitter.

36-6" plastics for the 4th party, 52-4", 12-8" and 6-12" shells. We will be testing the 8's and 12's next.

I want it all right before it goes to an audience...

Man i have to make a HELL of alot of break...

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, though it should be fun!

Make sure to get video for us. We need Winter entertainment. ;)

Lots of testing... Testing the methylene chloride seal, the new fuse, priming, x-matching, lift and burst...

Soo..what's your opinions? You did no pasting on that one? What type of burst?

No pasting at all, Simply dissolving the seams with dichloromethylene and closing. I used KP burst, 6:1, using airfloat KClO4, airfloat charcoal (hardwood) commercial, rubber makers sulfur and dextrin. I used 15 grams of flash to break it with, which was obviously WAY too much. that was my report mix, KClO4 64, S 6, pyro al 30.

My opinion was that it lifted well, but it broke too hard. The fusing, x-matching and timing were great. I will reduce the flash to 5 grams and test again.

A 3" shell... I call an "Octo-pow". Description posted with vid....

Octo-pow

Nice shell Rich, those were timed well! Now I'm on a mission. Beat Richtee's timing or Bust! heh

Nice shell Rich, those were timed well! Now I'm on a mission. Beat Richtee's timing or Bust! heh

In all honesty- it was mainly luck ;{) The 1" balls used BP primed visco fuses. I WILL admit to slightly different lengths, but given the method- I got lucky... ^_^

Nice shell Richtee, very similar to one I made, same method for the inserts, was beautifully timed, was like a crunch the timing was so good. unfourtunately I didn't get the shell entirely on film, only the audio and the las few seconds of the silver sparks burning out.

I made a 3" blue smiley face shell today, hope it works, also made a ring and bow tie. Will be shooting them and many more on the 28th hopefully, having a show for a birthday party.

I am baffled and annoyed, I made a batch of C8 cut stars, and decided to add some 20-100 mesh MgAl for a nice effect. I used water and metho to wet it, it went well, then after about 2 days of drying it formed white crystals all over the surface of the stars, a day after that and the slab rose like a cake, I went to break them up but they were all crumbly and wafer-like.... WHAT HAPPENED!

Next time you cut those stars spread them apart and get a fan blowing on them. No more than a fan, and by the end of the day a lot of the water that causing you issues will be dried up. If you want, leave the fan on for about 1-2 days. Then allow natural drying for about a week and they should be as good as gold. It may help to throw in a percent or two of boric acid. Some will say it won't help but not hurt in trying.

I had a suspicion that something reacted with the MgAl, I didn't know that MgAl reacts with nitrate, I only thought Al reacted. Well you learn something new every day. I decided to make them with acetone, plus it drys in 4 hours :D. How much red gum should be added? I used 5% but the stars broke easily, I have about 150g of useful stars left, out of my 500g composition.... The stars that I still have are very poor, all different sizes and odd shapes, I am not having much luck. I am going to get a star plate :P

5% red gum should have been ok for holding them together. If you want you could bump up to like 7% and try that. I would just bind them with dextrin next time and eliminate any issues of them falling apart.

Odd shaped stars are good for test shells. If you need to test something like your break or lift and need something to fill the shell, you can always use the not so good stars.

I'd just go with plain water and dextrin. I always dry them at roomtemperature or slightly below, and I have never had any problems with soft stars or driven in stars. Yes, it does take more patience when you bind them with water, but they should be dry in two weeks.

3" shell:

probably the best yet ^_^

Nice shell, eh! What was the rising effect?

I've purchased some 3'' and 4'' hemis from pyrodirect some time ago(nice price btw). But these hemi's have 2 fuse holes already punched in 1 half. Normally I just use simple visco wrapped in papertape/gomtape and glued in with woodglue as delay in my round shells. So these holes are way to big(9mm, I only need 4mm). Do you guys think that these holes are bad if i want a nice symmetrical break ? I thought of just drilling a third 4mm hole, glue the fuse in, and just fill the 9mm holes with woodglue and just paste regular. Thanks :). Edited by yellowcard