APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I was looking at keeping the rope length short, and not a lot of extra weight. The shell is not that heavy so Im worried that a long ol' rope would cause it to slow down rather fast.

Go with a ball of foil then. Can't weigh but 10 grams or so.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I've shot a 4" shell last night here it is:

this was my first try with my new 12-cue electric fireing system, and it didn't fail :)

Beautiful, all the way from launch to the break, only "mistake" would be the camera to close so one couldn't see the full break.

I don't think 6" will have any impact really. The air obviously deforms around the ball as it rises. It will make a "wake" in it's path like a boat to an extent, but it will reconnect. Probably best to imagine a comet or something. I'm not sure if it's straight up resistance that orients the shell, or just the desire for the rope/ribbon/tail or whatever to stay within this wake zone where there is no air resistance. I'd personally try something like a foot or two of 1" wide ribbon. It will add a nominal amount of weight.

Just put a "skirt" on the bottom of the shell to increase drag. As long as it doesn't fall of from the lift it is one of the easier and more effective ways IMHO.

Make up a dummy shell and test fire it during the day with various lengths of rope or schemes or whatnot.. It's both cheap, and easy.. as well as fun.

Good idea Tentacles, I might just do that then.

The issue with a skirt is this:

The shape is layed in on the equator of the shell. Meaning if you want the shape to stand up in the air, the rope has to be attached to the side of the shell. This could work with a skirt but the time fuse is 90 degrees to the equator, which puts it right against the mortar wall if the skirt is up or down.

Good idea Tentacles, I might just do that then.

The issue with a skirt is this:

The shape is layed in on the equator of the shell. Meaning if you want the shape to stand up in the air, the rope has to be attached to the side of the shell. This could work with a skirt but the time fuse is 90 degrees to the equator, which puts it right against the mortar wall if the skirt is up or down.

Didn't see that it was a letter that had to stand up, my bad.

The method with the skirt was initially designed for use with your audience far away. If you are practically standing under your shell when it goes off, it doesn't make much sense indeed. You could try to attach some skirt to the north pole (assuming the fused side is south), or tying some to the time fuse. Then light, and pray God it turns out right.

Problem, I got a little carried away when pasting a 4" can, pretty big one, it's a little tight in the gun, with about 1/8" clearance, what would be the best solution to avoid a flowerpot, larger lift grains (-4+10mesh) or less lift? :unsure:

Problem, I got a little carried away when pasting a 4" can, pretty big one, it's a little tight in the gun, with about 1/8" clearance, what would be the best solution to avoid a flowerpot, larger lift grains (-4+10mesh) or less lift? :unsure:

Less lift if you want, but if you have that much clearance, I don't think there would be a problem. I guess it depends on your construction.

If you put on more paper, it will be stronger. If it will go into the gun, shoot it! It will be ok unless you really have to beat it into the mortar.

Some of my multi-break shells need a little assistance into the gun. As long a it slides down with relative ease (IE, no jumping on it), it should be fine. Unless it's the first shot, I always toss a little sand or clay into the bottom of the gun just in case to kill off any potential sparks. I don't want it going on when I'm shoulder deep in a mortar.

ok then, should leave the mortar without problems.

And just to show off a bit :P , here's a picture, awaiting the lift charge.

post-11-1234503863_thumb.jpg

Looks very good. Way less masking tape and black fingerprints than I'm used to with my shells :)

You should've seen the improvised passfire bucket, quite a bit of masking tape there :P

Anyway, I like to add a "pro" touch to my shells and with a turn or two of kraft gives it that Italian style look.

I hope the spolettes on the inserts light properly this time, put 4 strands of blackmatch over the spolettes and tied them down the side. The maing burst is a simple burst of colour (Red) with BP on rice hulls 10g of flash dusted on the hulls as a booster. if everything goes OK it should be a nice big break with 4 smaller shells going of 2 seconds after the first charge.

whew, good lookin shell there man PGF. I'd like to see video of that one when you shoot it. What length is the 4" gun you're using?

whew, good lookin shell there man PGF. I'd like to see video of that one when you shoot it. What length is the 4" gun you're using?

I think the gun is 70cm, it will probably be enough, and there will deffinately be a video of it, hopefully with everything working properly ^_^

I have bought a few rolls of Fiberglass strapping tape and am waiting for them to arrive, and I am wondering If I can use them to "paste" 3" round PAPER shells.

I haven't found much information about this except for the 1st page of this thread and a little bit on youtube.

My Question: Has anyone used Fiberglass strapping tape for "pasting" paper round shells and did they have any success and what bursts did they use?

If no one has had any experience with then I will try it and find out myself.

Edited by nick2354

I would venture a guess that fiberglass reinforced tape would work. I generally tape up my small 3/4" - 1" shells with electrical tape instead of spiking, and I use loose flash for burst with the rest of the shell being filled with tigertail microstars. Gives a fairly loud report but burns hot enough to ignite the stars. :D

It might work. I'm always a bit worried about the lift melting or weakening the tape. I'm also not sure how well it'd adhere to the paper.

It might work. I'm always a bit worried about the lift melting or weakening the tape. I'm also not sure how well it'd adhere to the paper.

I use a wrap or two of paper adhered with the spray contact adhesive over the fiberglass tape. The lift gas DOES eat that stuff up pretty good.

I apologize if this is in the incorrect section since I'm unclear if this is for showing off aerial shells or asking questions. Anyways, I plan to get into making aerial shells soon, so I read through many guides including some of Fulcanelli's works. When he writes about insert shells in the shell of shells section, he gives instructions on how to make a 1.5" x 5" canister. The instructions say to not have a core of burst, but to first put small stars in the canister, then put blackpowder on top which is followed by a shake to consolidate. Although this is for an insert shell for a big 5" or similar, I'm wondering if this can be adapted for 1.5" mortar use?

A saw another guide here: http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/mouseturds.html which seemed similar in concept. I have a question about that as well. Does a burst such as whistle or flash have to be used, or can fast blackpowder substitute?

One last question: Since these small shells don't have core bursts, does that mean they break unevenly or else why bother to have cores on 3"+ shells?

Thank you

Fiberglass tape will work fine for 3" ball shells of any material. The lift gasses wont hurt the tape, it will live. Several wraps around the shell should suffice. I would suggest about a 3g booster, flash or whistle works fine. Do add some hot glue around the time fuse as the tape will not protect against fire as well as pasted paper would.

Moof,

This section covers both of those. It is very common to make smaller shells, usually up to 2" or so, that way. There is just not enough room to make an effective core. The shells will tend to have an off shaped break. Most of the time for shells this small is not a big factor as the shells are just for effect and there perfection is not a main focus. The faster break helps aid in the shells looking more symmetrical. A hot black powder burst could also work. Whistle seems to give a nice kick and still applies ample fire to light stars. It also does not have the "shattering" effect on stars that flash does. I would suggest it over straight flash for these reasons.

FYI, that is Dan Creagans site, he is an experienced pyro and most of what you will see on there is valid information that can be relied upon.