APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

Sorry, but, Huh? :huh:

If you have tubes with an ID of 3.5" and walls .25" that makes the OD 4" exactly.

oops heh yes :wacko: . LOL it's early- first cup of coffee still. At any rate, it's a bastard size tube I picked up, but my 3's WILL fit inside them- barely.

Edited by Richtee

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but my 3's WILL fit inside them- barely.

Sand them down a bit before applying glue to make them set together, you will have an easier time putting them together and the glue will stick better to the sanded surface.

3" lampare? :{)

OK...so I cut a 6" hunk of 3" ID, and glued stop rings in each end, and have cut .25" plywood for endcaps. I figger it'll hold 10-12 Oz. of- I dunno something...naptha perhaps? in a bag. Question is: I really don't want big chunks coming back down... any estimates on what I'd need as a burst to ensure this? Realize I could probably- seriously- rest a ton on this container with no worries....

With a good 2-3ounces of Flash I think it'll shred the casing just fine. Though the .25" thick plywood may not shred completely (2-3 cardboard discs would be better).

With a good 2-3ounces of Flash I think it'll shred the casing just fine. Though the .25" thick plywood may not shred completely (2-3 cardboard discs would be better).

That's what I was thinking. Don't really like the idea of mixing that up...but I DO have about 20 Oz. NC granulated whistle. Maybe 5 Oz. of that? I guess I could do my <max so far> 20g F a few times. It's winter here tho. Makes me nervous. Altho I DO have a humidifier, and it stays at about 65% or so.

Whistle would probably also be OK, can't say for sure though. One thing I can tell you, making 100g of flash is one hell of an experience. Took me about 15 minutes to make, whilst making It i was sweating my ass off. If you have a weak heart, DO NOT do this, when I finished my hands were shaking, and this was the slow stuff made with bright aluminium. Never doing that again.

Yep, whistle works. I heard something like 400g for the size you're using. There is a similar thing on passfire. They say 6oz of flash as a minimum to set it off.

3" Tiger Tail.Not very good break because of little pasting layers

Yeah, perhaps a stronger burst might be wanted next time. Why was it that it seems that a solid object was blocking most of the shells burst on the video?

Whistle would probably also be OK, can't say for sure though. One thing I can tell you, making 100g of flash is one hell of an experience. Took me about 15 minutes to make, whilst making It i was sweating my ass off. If you have a weak heart, DO NOT do this, when I finished my hands were shaking, and this was the slow stuff made with bright aluminium. Never doing that again.

I prefer making flash in 100g batches. In small batches it does not diaper well (for me anyway) and I always end up getting my fingers in there, and applying undesired pressure or friction to get it mixing a bit. With large batches, I can diaper it perfectly, and if it does go off, there is less chance of me being in a vegetative state. Additionally, I make less batches, not that I make it much anyway.

That said, I do not enjoy it either way...

I also make about 100 g batches of flash at a time. Not worth the effort making smaller batches. It should not be a problem when done correctly. There seems to be a huge hype, almost paranoia when it comes to preparing flash. Everyone should understand that is is sensitive and one should be careful when making it, but do it right and you should be fine.

I know this is not exclusively Shells, but I do not think it needs a new thread. If it's too off topic, it can be moved.

It's my New Year display (or most of it).

I'm not happy about everything, including where the cameraman was, but overall I feel it was a success.

That guy is far too full of himself.

He has no idea what he is after.

Who is that aimed at? If its aimed at me well I do know what I am after, its a red strobe, and I know there are a few different compositions out there, I was just wondering which one in particular most resembles that.

If it wasn't aimed at me, I have just made a dick of myself.... <_<

Hello,

I've shot a 4" shell last night here it is:

this was my first try with my new 12-cue electric fireing system, and it didn't fail :)

Hello,

I've shot a 4" shell last night here it is:

this was my first try with my new 12-cue electric fireing system, and it didn't fail :)

Woah...'Uge break!

That guy is far too full of himself.

He has no idea what he is after.

Haha.

So I put a 6" long piece of 1/4" rope on a 4" shape ball shell, it has a letter in it. I know it wont be enough to orientate the shell, and I plan on tying something to the end to cause some drag to it helps set the shell in the right direction. I was thinking about some weight, the thought that a couple of bottle caps, flat side together on the end might make for a good piece of wind resistance. Any thoughts?

Haha.

So I put a 6" long piece of 1/4" rope on a 4" shape ball shell, it has a letter in it. I know it wont be enough to orientate the shell, and I plan on tying something to the end to cause some drag to it helps set the shell in the right direction. I was thinking about some weight, the thought that a couple of bottle caps, flat side together on the end might make for a good piece of wind resistance. Any thoughts?

Crimp a ball of aluminum foil on it. Maybe an inch or so? Or knot on some more rope?

I was looking at keeping the rope length short, and not a lot of extra weight. The shell is not that heavy so Im worried that a long ol' rope would cause it to slow down rather fast.