APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I found another video. The timing isn't quite right, but you get the idea. 5 timed spider. I used 1/4" spolette differences between breaks. I think I will use 5/16" or 3/8" next time, and break it a bit earlier in it's flight. I hope to get the big shell breaking harder. It's hard to believe that had 12g of flash in it. I'll use 70-30 next time.

http://www.apcforum.net/Mumbles/5%20timed%20spider.wmv

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice shell Mumbles. That is hard to believe that thing was loaded down with 12g of vitamin F. Was that a sfera (sp?) bottom shot?

I found another video. The timing isn't quite right, but you get the idea. 5 timed spider. I used 1/4" spolette differences between breaks. I think I will use 5/16" or 3/8" next time, and break it a bit earlier in it's flight. I hope to get the big shell breaking harder. It's hard to believe that had 12g of flash in it. I'll use 70-30 next time.

http://www.apcforum.net/Mumbles/5%20timed%20spider.wmv

Wow. That was amazing! That has to be one of the very best shells I have seen. Very good job!

Thank you for the compliments. I was satisfied with it for sure. Could be improved, but not bad for a first attempt.

The big shell was not a sfera. It was just a normally packed shell, just with 12g of flash as the break. I used some slow flash that I boost my breaks with. Next time it will be 70-30. The flash bag was not pasted or taped shut. I almost wonder if the flash leaked out and mixed in with the stars and pulverone filler. Even for slow flash, it should still break good and hard. I made a 4" single shot spider that nearly covered the entire sky when it broke, though it used 70-30. Probably better that it didn't break at full strength. You never would have seen the full thing with how far in it was zoomed. Plus I probably would have bombarded some people. I kind of liked the effect. I probably wont break the bottoms too hard for future ones.

I am planning to make a few more this summer. I want to try a 9 timed spider. That will definitely have a sfera bottom break. I figured I could get away with a normal break on this one since I can do it on sun and planet shells. Plus if I do sfera, I can use crossettes for a little something extra.

Wondering what formula you're using...D1 glitter uses atomized Al, not MgAl:

Potassium Nitrate....................53

Sulfur....................................18

Charcoal, AF...........................11

Aluminum, spher, 325 mesh.....7

Sodium Bicarbonate.................7

Dextrin...................................4

Sorry I looked at a modified version of D1 containing both Al and Mg/Al.

Hey all

Long time no post, but lots of things had changed during the time I did not post.

I got much more stuff to make pyrotechnic things, and well, here you go, a picture of my first 3" Ball Shell I made:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/53/s8000111bh1.th.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8816/s8000115fw5.th.jpg

It is filled with Buell Red stars and 4 bee inserts ( 1 1/2"*1/3") , 2 of them in green and 2 of them are red.

The burts charge is BP coated on rice flakes and 3g of Whistle Mix were added as a booster.

A 3 seconds spolette is used as a time delay.

I think I am going to fire it this weekend and I will record the shell of course ;)

Greets and regards,

Stinger

nice shell! dave buell red stars ar one of the best red's i know, film it, love to see that in action :) good luck!

PyroMan LTU

That's a great first three inch shell Stinger! You should be proud of yourself.

Here are a couple of clips from my New Years Eve show. The first one is two three inch mines fired simultaneously. One D1 Glitter, and the other one Blue and Brocade. The second is a rack or Tigertail shells and mines, All 3". The Tigertail stars had Zinc cores.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjAPw1s2Js&...re=channel_page

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=WCW1s48YsHc&...re=channel_page

Unfortunately the camera with the rest of the show is at a friends house, and he has gone away, resulting in pyro withdrawal symptoms on my part. I hope to get my fix soon, and I'll post it when that eventuates!

Edited by Seymour

That is a very good shell, especially as it's your first four incher. Everything behaved almost perfectly.

What are the construction details? Star size and shape, burst, pasting and so forth?

Keep it up.

OK...so now I have a use..I THINK for the 3.5" tubes...but my 3" tubes have .25 walls. Isn't that a bit heavy for anything but a salute can? I have never really made cylinder shells before.

OK...so now I have a use..I THINK for the 3.5" tubes...but my 3" tubes have .25 walls. Isn't that a bit heavy for anything but a salute can? I have never really made cylinder shells before.

Are your 3" tubes 3" OD with .25 walls? If so you could probably make can shells , but it will require heavy spiking to avoid a bowtie or hose break. This may shatter the stars/comets though. Regardless, bowtie breaks are nice anyway, so why not try and go for that?

Edited by Bonny

Are you 3" tubes 3" OD with .25 walls? If so you could probably make can shells , but it will require heavy spiking to avoid a bowtie or hose break. This may shatter the stars/comets though. Regardless, bowtie breaks are nice anyway, so why not try and go for that?

3" ID with .25" walls... my 3" gun tubes. Have an endless supply of 24" lengths.

Bowtie...out each end? Maybe this should be in the Noob section eh? :blush:

3" ID with .25" walls... my 3" gun tubes. Have an endless supply of 24" lengths.

Bowtie...out each end? Maybe this should be in the Noob section eh? :blush:

That would make for a pretty tight fit if you did any spiking... Another option would be to make them 3" aerial mines, then all the goodness only has to blast out one end.

That would make for a pretty tight fit if you did any spiking... Another option would be to make them 3" aerial mines, then all the goodness only has to blast out one end.

Right... OK... Yeah it is tight. Would need to be just endcaps near as I can figger and maybe a single wrap of Kraft. Ah well. A. mines would be cool, and IF I get the urge to do a couple salute cans.. :{) I DO like the BP ones in the daylight...looks like "ack-ack" <Old time anti-aircraft> fire...big ole cloud of smoke up 300 foot :{)

I'm not sure what you mean by they would be tight if you did any spiking? My 4" cans start on a 3.5" former. They end up around 3.8" OD if not more. This includes the chipboard, the kraft can, the spiking, pasting, leader, and dry wrap. If anything, I'd expect shells made from that to be undersized.

I think you just need to start making some nice 4" multibreaks with bottom shot. :)

With some reinforcement, you could make some nice fountains. Honestly, I think you should look into making some roman candles. They're pretty simple, and could be constructed in 3 or 4 shot from what you have there.

3" Roman Candles would be cool to see. Those tubes will work for any 4" "salute". Whether its a single shot aerial salute or a bottom shot in a shell. They would also make very acceptable mortars for 3" shells. Any type of shell is not a good option, unless your going for the aerial mine look, then watch out for those falling cases.

My idea..... 4" LAMPARES BABY!!!

3" Roman Candles would be cool to see. Those tubes will work for any 4" "salute". Whether its a single shot aerial salute or a bottom shot in a shell. They would also make very acceptable mortars for 3" shells. Any type of shell is not a good option, unless your going for the aerial mine look, then watch out for those falling cases.

My idea..... 4" LAMPARES BABY!!!

Well..dammit..the whole DEAL was I THOUGHT I was getting 4" tubes..of which I have NONE! I have bastard 3.5" ID's Sooo...

3" lampare? :{)

So your tube is 3.5" ID, and 4" OD? This changes things a lot.

So your tube is 3.5" ID, and 4" OD? This changes things a lot.

No 3.5" ID with 3.75" OD... .25 walls. So I only have a tight .25 clearance between a hunk of my 3" ID tubes, as they have .25 walls as well. <3.25

" OD>

No 3.5" ID with 3.75" OD... .25 walls. So I only have a tight .25 clearance between a hunk of my 3" ID tubes, as they have .25 walls as well. <3.25

" OD>

Sorry, but, Huh? :huh:

If you have tubes with an ID of 3.5" and walls .25" that makes the OD 4" exactly.