APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

qwe, be sure to get that mad lion on video. I bet it's quite impressive.

I also got a chance to look up a draw out shell for you. It's actually a three break. It opens with a break of color with 4 sequentially timed reports. After the reports have extinguished, the second break of color goes off, then a bottom shot. Fulcanelli has it happen in an even cadence. The second color break happens as if it were a 5th report. The time between the opening of the shell and the start of the reports is the same as the time delay between each report. IE:

First break / Report #1 (1/4") / Report #2 (1/2") / Report #3 (3/4") / Report #4 (1") / Second break(1 1/4")

Each increment is the same. Fulcanelli uses 1/4" on the spolettes. I put the nominal lengths in the above timing diagram, but any timings could be used.

Thanks for the draw-out definition. Will do on the video - I'm a compulsive documenter...notes, pics , etc...keeps me from making the same mistakes over again, I guess. I did make another Mad Lion up, this one with a 5/16" vent (as opposed to 1/4" on the first) and +10% Ti sponge. Also finally got some -80 charcoal and cut some 3/4" Slow Gold for a 6in ball...we'll see if they hit the ground burning. Can't shoot NYE, though :angry: My friends camp is in use until next week....no drunken bonfire this year.

Trying another 8in, too. I have a cool idea I want to try...A "Sunflower" shell:

Outer break - Yellow to glitter

Inner break - Green and Silver

3x rising shells of green (leaves)

2x 2in FeTi comets (stalk)

Can't wait to see everybody's NYE stuff...good luck all!

Edited by qwezxc12

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the heads up on the article - Unfortunately I don't think I got that one, I paid my dues that month. Aren't they supposed to send me the 'back' issues for the year?

Nope. That's why it's a good idea to be paid-up right away in January. Those jerks. :)

Edited by FrankRizzo

If your slow gold stars turn out anything like mine, they'll burn to around 20 feet from the ground, and try to start as many fires as possible.

PGF, what kind of tape is that for you tubing for the QM? I'm looking for different ways to make QM and it looks to be quite common so it must work. Just thought I might ask.

PGF, what kind of tape is that for you tubing for the QM? I'm looking for different ways to make QM and it looks to be quite common so it must work. Just thought I might ask.

That's commercial Quickmatch, the basis is straight craft paper with a waterproof liner made from some sort of coloured plastic tape. That's all i know.

My "time delay" blue stars are better at starting fires than are your Gold stars. :D

Were you not at the spetember WPAG shoot? I set off half the grand public display. I like to think that my shell was so good the shooting company gave it a standing ovation with more fireworks.

OK my humble NYE display:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1231081312.jpg

3" of course... featuring a couple shells I have no idea what's in, and my "octopow" shell...8 1" salutes in a 3" ball, and a 50G sponge Ti salute to finish. The red fuse is crackling... to build a bit of anticipation :{)

Will try for vid...but honestly..I think I'd rather just watch :{)!

Happy New Year everyone!

New years! Check out my silver palm 3 inch shell... If you can wait through the talking at the beginning. I put a REAL long fuse on it lol... Very nice, but my dad turned the camera off right during it, but it still looks good. I need a better camera man...

Enjoy:

See I thought you were supposed to get back orders to...but I have never received any. I'm paying up in the next few days though, I want my moneys worth of pyro advice. ;)

Wow, 100g 3" salute full of 600 mesh magnalium flash is really a kicker! Especially when you leave out the Ti and all there is is a small flash and then BOOOM!!! I woke up the town I think ;) Its the header that I had crash into some vegatation at the convention this year. Didn't think I should shoot it off any old night here in town so I saved it until today. Videos when pyrobin cooperates.

Happy New Years Everyone ! ! !

Nice shell BP. If you want the video done right...well all you can do is do it yourself ;)

Also, pic of my rockets I shot tonight.

post-1558-1230791612_thumb.jpg

Edited by psyco_1322

Wow, 100g 3" salute full of 600 mesh magnalium flash is really a kicker! Especially when you leave out the Ti and all there is is a small flash and then BOOOM!!!

Indeed... like I mentioned I swear I seen the lake jump when I sent up a 100g 3" can from a mortar for the 4Th. Gotta respect that stuff!

Here's the new years' "show" I helped with.. The first part was Pasqual's fireworks, then I lit my chain, then I popped up some individual shells - the bigger ones are 5" and there are a bunch of 3". The salutes and crosettes at the end of Pasqual's show were mine, though the crosettes were made by Bonny. Those first salutes were little 10g jobs and the salutes at the end of my chain were 20g. Next year, I'll make em a bit bigger.. maybe 40g or more.

The 5" shells had 2 tsp of whistle break, not enough! Or it could be that this whistle mix simply isn't hot enough for the job. It seems to work fine on 3's, so maybe I'll make a new batch with the benzoate I've since milled, for the big shells.

Enough talk!

Oh, the stars in the 5's are some too-fast Winokur 12 (sub Ba nitrate for the carbonate) and Flaming Shit. Love those FS stars! The rising effects on the shells are clusters of the extra Win12 and FS stars. I think the win12 stars work nicely as comets on the 3" jobs. Good thing, cause I've still got a bag of em.

Edited by tentacles

Nice shells Yankie. Like that mass of shells at the end :D followed by the 4". Good way to end it.

Nice finale there Yankie! did you get much of a crowd after all? I see the 4" got up there, how'd the mortar hold up?

anyway, very good stuff!

Edited by MilkyJoe

Nice finale there Yankie! did you get much of a crowd after all? I see the 4" got up there, how'd the mortar hold up?

Heh..I was wondering that too... sure seemed to get plenty high tho..yay!

Zmuro,

VERY NICE !! Those were some bad ass shells there man. Props. Loved the ringed glitter ones. Where you using slow gold in the ones at the end?

Fired This earlier, it was overkill for a 4 inch but I liked it.

The rising effects were 2, 1.75" shells and a comet I had lying around. The burst was not that spherical as the brocade ring was placed in one hemi and not the other.

Zmuro,

VERY NICE !! Those were some bad ass shells there man. Props. Loved the ringed glitter ones. Where you using slow gold in the ones at the end?

Some ware Brocade Horsetail (Dave Buell, 16mm) and Willow Diadem (10 and 14mm)