Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice videos!

But why you used less lift powder?for example the shell is 600gr and the lift 30gr.?

Why would I use more lift for 600gr shell if 30g of BP do the job just fine, don't you agree?

In my experience, shells weighing less than a pound still need close to a full ounce of lift.

My 3" shells weigh just a shade over a half-pound, but I still need 25-27 grams of commercial lift to get the correct height.

Of course, I do overlift just a shade. Better too high than too low.

Your problem with getting the Cuo/Al to light is the partical shape/size of the aluminum. CuO with flake aluminum lights off a match or fuse very easily and acts like flash powder. Also I would assume your using this as a booster for a break right or are you talking about adding a little boost to the lift charge? Either way you have chemicals to make BP and if you add 10-15% of the spherical aluminum it should make a very hot prime that should be hot enough to light almost anything.

In my experience, shells weighing less than a pound still need close to a full ounce of lift.

My 3" shells weigh just a shade over a half-pound, but I still need 25-27 grams of commercial lift to get the correct height.

Of course, I do overlift just a shade. Better too high than too low.

And of course, the whole clearance of the shell/tube thing is being ignored here too. I have launched with slightly more than 1/16 <maybe 1/14- I measured the 1/16th and chickened out and added a bit> and got decent results, but it was breech fused and I had to tap the shell to get it to drop. With quickmatch clearances- about .25"- I need to use about 1/8th shell weight usually. Another difference is of course the powder, and I have gone to dextrin/screening instead of pressing pucks. Easier, and I have lost very little performance, but SOME...

Well.... no, not being ignored exactly.

I paste my shells so that they drop to the bottom without any "wiggling", but close enough clearance that there is a slight delay as they drop, from the air being displaced as it falls. Hard to describe better than that, but I think you know what I mean. I just find that anything between 1/2 and 1 pound takes very nearly the same amount of lift to get the same height. As always, though, "Your mileage may vary". ;)

And I've been lucky in that the BP I make with my Lortone Tumbler is nearly identical in performance to Goex 1Fg or 2Fg.

You should try 1.5-2% redgum and alcohol. Make a ball and granulate through a 4-mesh screen. Great lift powder!

http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter_info_...le.asp?Item=115

Yeah... I could go with NC laquer as well, I suppose. I don't have any RG, and have already spent 225 in chems/balls/fuse etc. over the last 3 weeks. Frikin' damn hobby. Sheesh.

You should try 1.5-2% redgum and alcohol. Make a ball and granulate through a 4-mesh screen. Great lift powder!

http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter_info_...le.asp?Item=115

I did just that over the summer, screened a littler finer, though. Used a comparable amount in a 3in mine as I usually used of my 'normal lift' (BP ballmilled exactly the same but screened with 1.5% CMC and water). The RG/Alc lift is MUCH faster/hotter, attributed to the KNO3not disolving and re-crystalizing into larger particles. Result?...Boom, wasted HDPE mortar, & slightly toasted rack.

As an aside, my normal BP is plenty good, made with Red Alder and lifts <4in shells with 1/14th their weight, 6in+ shells with 1/16th their weight. I think the RG/Alc stuff may be TOO hot for big shells if its made with reactive charcoal. If you try it, dial it in first :D

post-747-1225914212_thumb.jpg

Not only too hot, if it's too fast more energy get lost. You have more efficiency with 2FA.

Makers of those piknik shell, was it a windy day or so? The tails of the stars don't really have nice straight tails.

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

I did just that over the summer, screened a littler finer, though. Used a comparable amount in a 3in mine as I usually used of my 'normal lift' (BP ballmilled exactly the same but screened with 1.5% CMC and water). The RG/Alc lift is MUCH faster/hotter, attributed to the KNO3not disolving and re-crystalizing into larger particles. Result?...Boom, wasted HDPE mortar, & slightly toasted rack.

As an aside, my normal BP is plenty good, made with Red Alder and lifts <4in shells with 1/14th their weight, 6in+ shells with 1/16th their weight. I think the RG/Alc stuff may be TOO hot for big shells if its made with reactive charcoal. If you try it, dial it in first :D

To small granules in combination with a very potent BP was probably the reason you killed the mortar. I only granulate with 4 mesh, and when it's dry some chunks don't pass 4 mesh either.

I've used this from 3-6" with success. But when you lift with 1/14 to 1/16 their weight, stick with that! B)

I think RG/alc is a good alternative for those who don't have access to or want to spend money on great charcoal, or wish to use less time milling.

To small granules in combination with a very potent BP was probably the reason you killed the mortar. I only granulate with 4 mesh, and when it's dry some chunks don't pass 4 mesh either.

I've used this from 3-6" with success. But when you lift with 1/14 to 1/16 their weight, stick with that! B)

I think RG/alc is a good alternative for those who don't have access to or want to spend money on great charcoal, or wish to use less time milling.

Too right. I'm reserving whats left of that batch (~1kg) for break canulles in can shells...hoping it'll work like a charm there.

DrPyro: FrankRizzo and I lifted a 6" with 2FA RG granulated alder/balsa/paulownia BP with no problems. I forget the weight, I think it was about 3 1/2 lbs with the comets on top. Lifted with 1/16 (or did we use less?) weight in BP.

I wonder if your mine disc/charge just got jammed up in there when it was time to exit?

I manage to lift my 3" shells with RG granulated alder 3FA at 1/16. I use about 1/14 when I side fuse (and just dump the powder in the bottom).

Not only too hot, if it's too fast more energy get lost. You have more efficiency with 2FA.

Makers of those piknik shell, was it a windy day or so? The tails of the stars don't really have nice straight tails.

Yes it was a little windy ^_^ we can't control the weather right.

HI

So this is my first post in this forum. I'm from Poland and I love aerial shell. I don't speek well in english.

And this is my shells

3 inch ball shell

burst: black powder on rice+ strong flashpowder

lift: 15grams BP

fuse: visco 2,5cm

star: Tiger tail rolled 8-9mm

and video---> http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=61xG6oDN1F0

small cake 3x1inch ball shell

star: D1 wery small

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=xD8Z2YOH1tY

this is it

Edited by lampek

we can't control the weather right.

Sure I can :P, nope but it tells a lot.

Nice shell lampek, too bad the crossing line is vissible. Well thats just a matter of where you're vieuwing from or paste a bit more and use a little less flashpowder.

If you ever speak to mr Lukasz Mikus (Keten) you can tell him he's an asshole, in polish ;)

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

If you ever speak to mr Lukasz Mikus (Keten) you can tell him he's an asshole, in polish

I can tell him that if ya want. What did he do to you?

Maybe this is in the wrong forum, but to answer your question shortly; he's a big lyer, telling people their parcel is on it's way, but when checking the trackcode it seems he posted the the parcel much later. Shipping should normaly take a view days to every country in Europe, but when ordering from him it can take 2 months or even longer.

btw, I thought you're from France?

HI

So this is my first post in this forum. I'm from Poland and I love aerial shell. I don't speek well in english.

And this is my shells

Very nice shells, and welcome to the Forum!

And your English is fine. Better than some Americans here, actually. ;)

Hi there,

I fired a 3" beraq shell today. The break actually sucked since I used only meal coated Ricehulls. Next time I'll add some flash, and pulverone will be used instead of rice hulls.

Link to the vid:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=uJswd89dcrY

First stars you see were some bumpy Chrysanthemum to Ap/hex blue stars.

Some pre-fire pics:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff7/graafvaag/Fotos-0785-1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff7/graafvaag/Fotos-0799.jpg

Graaf: Break in canisters is traditionally 2FA (I would probably use 3FA or even 4FA for a 3"). If you've got the ingredients, try whistle for break. It's very good stuff, has good throwing power and it's not as bright of a break as flash. Just make sure your fuel (benzoate/salicylate) is very finely divided. I'd add about 2.5-5ml of finely granulated whistle to a 3" can.

Nice job spiking. Mine always look like ass, but perform well (sort of - they go up and they explode, anyways).

Nice job spiking. Mine always look like ass, but perform well (sort of - they go up and they explode, anyways).

I've seen better ass... ;{) Seriously, whistle is my break of choice now. I am stuck at 3" for now. Not that that's bad...there's a knack to symmetry with a "small" shell I believe. But whistle performs well.

And a failed 3" S.O.S.cannister tonight. NOT because of the burst tho. Damn spiral wound tubes - can't trust 'em I say!