Chris

The comp I used was one of Shimizus´

KClO3-66

Red Gum-13

Lampblack-2

Strontiumcarbonate-12

PVC-2

Dextrin-5

The stars were coated with a layer of 66/33 KClO3/C when dry.

I used homemade shells and they were pasted four layers with three trips -pasting method.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A question for the experts:

I purchased 12 8" long 1 inch li'l "festival" tubes with bases and these cute li'l 1" plastic hemis, just for fun. Obviously, bottom or breech fusing is the way to go. I have coated the inside of the tubes with water glass. What's the best way to handle the fuse holes for longevity of the tubes? Drill slightly oversize and several water glass coats? Li'l buggers pack a nice salute, and I have a half dozen shells made up with poly star mix poured "wet" in half the hemi, and a "hot burst charge" in the top. Should be a neat effect I think!

Edited by Richtee

I would just put a leader on them myself. Super quick paper fuse or fast visco would work nicely. Then you can just make them like shells and don't have to worry about dumping in powder before the shell. If you have some of that super fast paper fuse, and take it apart into the 3 strands of match, you can make nice 1 strand quick match by rolling a tube on an 1/8" dowel.

I would just put a leader on them myself. Super quick paper fuse or fast visco would work nicely. Then you can just make them like shells and don't have to worry about dumping in powder before the shell. If you have some of that super fast paper fuse, and take it apart into the 3 strands of match, you can make nice 1 strand quick match by rolling a tube on an 1/8" dowel.

Hmm... I suppose I could try that out. Breech seems so much easier tho. .125 QM HAS to be a bit of a pain... Plus... I could use a little less lift because I could make the li'l buggers fit tighter. Not that THAT matters much outta teaspoon heh.

Upon reflection, I think it's gonna be the plastic base that craps out first, anyway. Looks like a steel beer bottle cap might just drop right in tho. A little glue... Hmmm.

Edited by Richtee

finally i got my first 3" shell launched.

the break wasn't good, but i'm satisfied!

I don't think that was bad a'tall... especially for a first! What was the star comp? Looked like a hybrid?

I'm gonna guess Winokur 1-4, due to the pinkish hue (on my monitor, at least).

And I agree, nice. Looked like no problem being blown blind, even w/the "vigorous" burst.

I was seeing a bit of "willow" there, altho, might have just been BIG stars :{)

I don't think that was bad a'tall... especially for a first! What was the star comp? Looked like a hybrid?

the comp was:

75g kno3

15g willow charcoal

10 sulfur

+

15~20g of pine charcoal

7~10g flake aluminium

3~5g titanium sponge

He nailed that one^. The best test of lift is to try and lift a shell with it. Use a dummy shell made with sand or sugar or something inert, not need to fuse. Make it exactly as you plan to make your shells, to the same diameter with pasting. Start with a smaller ratio of lift, maybe 1/16 shell weight, then work up ie: 1/14, 1/12, 1/10 if needed to give extra height.

Does anyone have any videos of some falling leaf shells, not with the fuse but with the star type thing in Shimizus book p235. He says they dont work very well but i could see them working alright with the right comp.

Some videos of my shell from piro picnic in Slovenia.

BAD to da bone. Wish we had war going on here, no one would notice my shells LOL! <just a funny...>

The whole video of slovenian pyro picnic (youtube messed with the quality, but it's mostly watchable <_< ):

Some videos of my shell from piro picnic in Slovenia.

Hope you like it :P

Zmuro,

Bravo! really nice stuff...especially like the the 4" Shell With D1 Stars And Spider Ring! The way the glitter fades leaving the Ti was awesome.

I am in a bit of a predicament, I plan on using CuO:Al (200 mesh granular) for boosting my shells, however it is extremely hard to light, the only things I have found that will light it are sparklers and my flash cores. I need to find some sort of prime that will light it so I can dip my visco into it. I have KNO3, S, Charcoal, Dextrin, Al powder (300 mesh spherical and 200 mesh granular) CuO, and Red Gum. Are there any hot primes that can be made with this?

I might have to resort to using sparkler powder as a prime.

I am in a bit of a predicament, I plan on using CuO:Al (200 mesh granular) for boosting my shells, however it is extremely hard to light, the only things I have found that will light it are sparklers and my flash cores. I need to find some sort of prime that will light it so I can dip my visco into it. I have KNO3, S, Charcoal, Dextrin, Al powder (300 mesh spherical and 200 mesh granular) CuO, and Red Gum. Are there any hot primes that can be made with this?

I might have to resort to using sparkler powder as a prime.

Don't know about using spherical or granular Al, but 2Al + 3S → Al22S3 is very exothermic and when made with flake Al, it will light from ordinary visco. It's a cheap and easy thermite igniter. I've used it for both Fe2O3 and CuO thermites. You could try it with your granular or spherical and see if it works.

Easier still is to get some cheap -350 coated flake from Hawk Mtn, and make a slow booster from KNO3, S, and Al - given the cost of Copper Oxide these days, it'll probably save you some money in the long run.