APC Forum

Media question

TSO

How much media would I have to use in my 15lb ball mill?

Half full

...and that is roughly 35lbs worth.

Weight of 15lb mill jar with optimum lead ball media quantity

The scale showed 35lbs with the loaded lead media. IIRC, the drum is about 3lbs by itself with lid and wingnuts. In my opinion, 35lbs +- 3lbs will not make a noticeable a difference in milling efficiency provided the mill itself has been optimized ie. rotation speed, media size, style of drum and mill run time.

I had a Sponnenburgh style jar. It's a little hard to estimate when they're half full to be honest. I used 25lbs of 000 buckshot, and called it a day. Might have only been 40% full, but it still pumped out hot meal in a few hours.

Using buckshot makes for quick grinding and fine product, but sucks for crushing. Just something to keep in mind.

If you really want to figure out exactly half, fill your jar with water, pour it into a measuring device. Cut that in half and put that much water into something like a gallon jug. Mark the line on the jug, then empty the water. Let everything dry completely, then fill the marked jug to the line with your media and then transfer it to your mill jar.

A lot of work for not much return, in reality, but fairly precise if that's what you're shooting for.

Personally, I'm with Mumbles, as long as you are around 40%-60% of the volume of your mill jar filled with appropriately sized media you should be fine.

Personally, I'm with Mumbles, as long as you are around 40%-60% of the volume of your mill jar filled with appropriately sized media you should be fine.

...and that is 35lbs +- 3lbs for a Thumler or Rebel 17 barrel.

I've got a 6# barrel similar to the Thumlers 15#, same diameter but 1/2 the depth. I tipped it on the side, blocked it halfway with a piece of wood (easy with a hex shape) and poured .50 cal balls till it was half full. It took 800 and at about 10 grams each amounts to a little over 17.5# of lead. This was foundry type so a little lighter than straight lead or even wheel weights. At 1/2 full the barrel looks to be almost over full and won't quite take a 2# batch of BP. It does OK with that but fluffs to the point of completely filling the jar when the lid is removed. Because of the quality of the media I'll be experimenting with a little less media to see if I can process 2# reliably.