APC Forum

did you fire your shell using direct e-match or fuse ?

jaysgoh

Method of firing your shells .  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Did you fire your shells using direct e-match or fuse ?

• E-Match to Visco
    • E-Match to Liftcharge
    • Visco to quickmatch
    • Others , Please comment at below .

Haven't heard of anyone trying that but have heard of people hand lighting with a road flare and lighting bare quick match. Not for every shell but one that had a problem.

Would be near instant ignition and quite a rush. I've done it on some 3" shells that had the visco fall out.

I have not fired shells using a pig or the Chinese method of tossing a little star into a mortar. I have handlit plenty of shells by lighting bare quickmatch with a torch or fusee, with and without a small length exposed BM for delay.

The biggest shell I have handlit was an 8" that did not fire from the e-match. It has the usual 2-3" of exposed black match to give a short delay so the shooter can turn around. Normally we only handlight shells 6" and smaller to reflect NFPA 1123 guidelines. It is a rush, which I can take or leave. I do not mind shooting handlit shows, but I prefer electronic firing.

I have not fired shells using a pig or the Chinese method of tossing a little star into a mortar. I have handlit plenty of shells by lighting bare quickmatch with a torch or fusee, with and without a small length exposed BM for delay.

The biggest shell I have handlit was an 8" that did not fire from the e-match. It has the usual 2-3" of exposed black match to give a short delay so the shooter can turn around. Normally we only handlight shells 6" and smaller to reflect NFPA 1123 guidelines. It is a rush, which I can take or leave. I do not mind shooting handlit shows, but I prefer electronic firing.

Wait we have an NFPA document for firing shows? Since when?! I wish I had known that 6 months to a year ago.

I have recently become intimately acquainted with NFPA 13, 13R, and 25. While they are long, (sometimes) unclear, and overall convoluted I feel that NFPA has very well designed guidelines. I will read NFPA 1123 tonight and would strongly encourage others to do the same; also, keep in mind that NFPA is the bare minimum, when you can afford to do more you should, cities and counties can enforce additional policies. Choose your battles with inspectors carefully.

edit1: Are there any other relevant code standards? Personally I don't care about commercial displays but others might.

edit3: Here's what I have found so far (this is not a complete list, please do your own research):

NFPA 1122 Code for Model Rocketry

NFPA 1123 Code for Fireworks Display

NFPA 1124 Code for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage, and Retail Sales of Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Articles

NFPA 1125 Code for the Manufacture of Model Rocket and High Power Rocket Motors

NFPA 1126 Standard for the Use of Pyrotechnics Before a Proximate Audience

NFPA 1127 Code for High Power Rocketry

-----------

On-topic:

Going back I see that Shimizu also mentions the Chinese method of using a star. His is modified slightly, a fuse is run over the top of the open end of the mortar and a star is placed in the middle sort of like a tight rope walker.

edit2: Handlighting an 8" shell, that's beautiful Nater, scary as hell but beautiful. Next time you should go to 16" so you can hug the mortar while you light it ;)

Edited by AzoMittle

I don't think I would hand light a larger shell without a longer fuse again. I only did it when we were clearing mortars after a firing system failure, which is a provision in the guidelines. Typically per 1123 and the PGI DOC, 6" is the limit for hand lighting.

I've heard a few stories from old timers of hand lighting large (8-12") shells during shows, and coming down with concussion-like symptoms. Hand lighting shells can be a rush, but having hand lit shells flower pot or muzzle break can be a little too intense for some. For my own stuff, I'd just assume go electric so I can stand back and enjoy my hard work.

• 1 month later...
Well also to add, if you hand light a shell you are most times far away if you return 100 meters, but most shells look far better viewed from a distance much bigger then that.