APC Forum

Black Boy Peaches

killforfood

Do we have some members from France or New Zealand? I’m looking for Black Boy Peach seeds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/BlackboyPeaches_000.jpg

The Pacific Northwest is notoriously hard on Peach and Nectarine trees. Peach leaf curl flourishes in our wet winters and spring showers. I’ve not had any of the so called resistant selections last very long. The Black Boys are supposed to be completely resistant. I could spray but I have two small Goldfish ponds and free ranging Chickens in the yard.

http://paradiseenoug...peche-de-vigne/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/BlackBoyPeaches.jpg

Thanks KFF

Hi killforfood

The "pêche de vignes " are sold in our market in the end of the summer in august,if I've understand,you want the core of this fruit,and then grow it in your garden?

The pêches de vignes are really robust,an old women,wich was friend with my parents ,had theses in her garden,they was small but very "fat" plant!

Lot of great childhood memory in her large garden and then making a lot of blackberry-pêche de vigne jam...(wich is absolutely tasteful ! :) )

I will certainly buy des pêches de vigne at the end

of the summer,we are fond of it,so there is no problem for send you the core ! Haha

Regards

Edited by yvariro

Yvariro,

Thanks for writing back. I will be happy to pay all shipping and some for your troubles as well.

Des pêches de vigne (Black Boy as the Kiwis prefer to call them) are somewhat unique in that they grow true from seed. I'm quite excited to see how well they will tolerate our wet spring weather.

The usual procedure with our local varieties is to maintain a ridged spray schedule with Borduex (Lime and copper spray). I think the copper would probably kill my Goldfish and wouldn't do the Chickens any good either.

Thanks, KFF

Hi,

Thats really nice to you,There is no trouble in sending seeds,you don't have to pays anymore ;)

When I was younger,I lived in a very humid region of france so if your spring is wet I think that they will grow very good !

Oh,yes the copper is quite toxic for the aquatic environnement,are they no alternative like a non-toxic fertilizer ?

Regards,

Yvariro

• 1 month later...
I've also been looking for seeds for his peach (for several years). Anyone who can send some pits; I'll be happy to pay whatever it costs. Thank you, B hazen

You'll have to wait a few months until it's peach season here, but I too could probably be convinced to help out, though I see Yvario has already offered :)

I must say my own peach and nectarine trees are suffering badly from leaf curl. Perhaps I should get some seeds fr myself too :)

Actually, there is no guarantee that any tree from seeds will have the resistance and properties you would like. If you really want the "black boy peach", you would need to get a small twig from one of the trees and graft it on a suitable rootstock. Anything else is just throwing the dice and hoping for a win.

I know this isn't a horticulture forum, but it is my experience that some very old stone fruit varieties have relatively genetically stable seeds and will come close or identical to the parent plant. Depends on how they originated. I have had good luck from seed with a couple of old varieties of peaches that are self fertile. I think newer varieties are like hybrids and have more variability. I've been trying to find a black boy peach to grow from seed for a long time. But probably no guarantee. It will be a nice experiment. Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, am new to this forum, but I collect exotic peach varieties. I would love a 'pit' of a 'Black Boy Peach'. Will pay for shipping. Many thanks, Mrs. G

• 1 year later...

Black Boy peaches are now being sold in the US through 'Raintree Nurseries'. I ordered one 50.00, as I recall and it is a large three foot tree with many branches and great root system.